... and the world's most violent developed nation is ... - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-20-2005, 12:06 PM   #31
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 3,887
Local Time: 10:57 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by pax
Tell them your Sean Connery story, Ewen!
Nope, sorry.
__________________

__________________
ewen is offline  
Old 09-20-2005, 12:12 PM   #32
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,471
Local Time: 10:57 AM
firstly, i smell a strong book sales for _Ewens Rough Guide to a Non-Violent Holiday in Scotland_.

i also went to a gay rodeo 2 weeks ago (interesting experience) and believe it or not, at the market, not only could you buy your typical cowboy hats, boots, and ass-less chaps, but you could also buy leather kilts.

kinky.

i also love Scotland -- spent 2 months wandering around aimlessly, and no fights. but i will say that i saw more vomit on the streets of E'burgh at 2am than in any other city i've ever been to (Boston on St. Patrick's Day included).

i prefer Ewen McGregor to Sean Connery. the name "Irvine" comes from Irvine Welsh, author of _Trainspotting_, the book i wrote my senior thesis on.

i do think it's interesting how much perception of statistics influences our expectations of a place. never, not once, have i ever had a bad experience in any American city. yet, someone attempted to pickpocket me in Prague and in Brussels (crafty me, i had my wallet hidden, so they got nothing). in Morocco, everyone seemed delighted to meet an American and were pleasantly surprised that i spoke (some) French. and everyone thinks i'm german (have been called "Fritz" on more than one occasion). so ... who knows?

go travel and make your own impressions.
__________________

__________________
Irvine511 is online now  
Old 09-20-2005, 12:14 PM   #33
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,471
Local Time: 10:57 AM
i also remember hearing that Scots were fine, but the following people weren't:

The English -- they colonized Scotland, violently
The Americans -- responsible for a little place called Hollywood
The Australians -- responsible for a little man called Mel Gibson

__________________
Irvine511 is online now  
Old 09-20-2005, 12:30 PM   #34
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 3,887
Local Time: 10:57 AM
Irvine!! you're going to make me violent!!

You did that on purpose, you naughty man! People are going to believe that!

Scotland wasn't colonised, folks!! grrr She united with England and Wales some 400 years ago following the death of England's Queen Elizabeth. James 6th of Scotland became James 1st of England and ruled both realms from down in London. All three have been united as Great Britain ever since. The United Kingdom refers to Great Britain and Northern Ireland. In the early 20th century this was of course the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland.
__________________
ewen is offline  
Old 09-20-2005, 12:33 PM   #35
pax
ONE
love, blood, life
 
pax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Ewen's new American home
Posts: 11,412
Local Time: 11:57 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by ewen


Nope, sorry.



































__________________
and you hunger for the time
time to heal, desire, time


Join Amnesty.
pax is offline  
Old 09-20-2005, 12:34 PM   #36
pax
ONE
love, blood, life
 
pax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Ewen's new American home
Posts: 11,412
Local Time: 11:57 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
...but you could also buy leather kilts.

www.utilikilt.com
__________________
and you hunger for the time
time to heal, desire, time


Join Amnesty.
pax is offline  
Old 09-20-2005, 12:37 PM   #37
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,471
Local Time: 10:57 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by ewen
Irvine!! you're going to make me violent!!

You did that on purpose, you naughty man! People are going to believe that!

Scotland wasn't colonised, folks!! grrr She united with England and Wales some 400 years ago following the death of England's Queen Elizabeth. James 6th of Scotland became James 1st of England and ruled both realms from down in London. All three have been united as Great Britain ever since. The United Kingdom refers to Great Britain and Northern Ireland. In the early 20th century this was of course the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland.


then i am misinformed. i apologize.

i distinctly remember the highlander demonstration (where i heard the Aussie/Brit/Yank quote) where the dude showing off all the cool weaponry distinctly used the word "colonization." also, he said the forced highland removals from the 18th century would today be called ethnic cleansing. further, remember the Renton quote? "some people hate the English; i don't. they're just wankers. we, on the other hand, were colonized by wankers. we can't even find a decent civilization to be colonized by."

and i even wrote a thesis referring to the colonization.

could this be one of those "Civil War vs. War of Northern Aggression vs War Between the States" things?

will respectfully plead ignorance and slowly back away before Ewen tosses a pint glass in my face ...
__________________
Irvine511 is online now  
Old 09-20-2005, 01:12 PM   #38
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 3,887
Local Time: 10:57 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511




then i am misinformed. i apologize.

i distinctly remember the highlander demonstration (where i heard the Aussie/Brit/Yank quote) where the dude showing off all the cool weaponry distinctly used the word "colonization." also, he said the forced highland removals from the 18th century would today be called ethnic cleansing. further, remember the Renton quote? "some people hate the English; i don't. they're just wankers. we, on the other hand, were colonized by wankers. we can't even find a decent civilization to be colonized by."

and i even wrote a thesis referring to the colonization.

could this be one of those "Civil War vs. War of Northern Aggression vs War Between the States" things?

Ok, firstly there is absolutely NO need for that kind of tone with me Irvine! I thought you were having a joke with your prior post but you are actually serious? I think now you are just trying to get a rise from me when I thought this was in good humour. Thinking that Scotland was colonised by England is absolute nonsense and if you are just trying to wind me up then kindly just say so because if otherwise I'm just not going to waste my time and I'll go back into 'retirement' (as Pax put it earlier).

No, Scotland was not colonised by England and if you wrote a thesis saying that it was then I am sorry to say, but....it's fit for the fire, period, if you believe that to be the history of the UNITED Kingdom.

All I can say is...read up on your British history and get your facts right. Read up on the Highland clearances and the Union of The Crowns. There is a wealth of information about both on the WWW.

Renton's line in Trainspotting is funny and echoes what many pissed off Scots feel like. It's not actually factual what he's saying! He's a fictional character saying something I've probably felt and said many times myself as a matter of frustration. Many Scots do feel that they were colonised simply because we are by far the smaller of the two countries and even though Scotland is OVER represented in the House of Commons, we always felt ruled over because the Parliament is in London.

With that, I am now going back into retirement, have a good day. I can't and will not carry on or entertain any more.
__________________
ewen is offline  
Old 09-20-2005, 02:14 PM   #39
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,471
Local Time: 10:57 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by ewen


Ok, firstly there is absolutely NO need for that kind of tone with me Irvine! I thought you were having a joke with your prior post but you are actually serious? I think now you are just trying to get a rise from me when I thought this was in good humour. Thinking that Scotland was colonised by England is absolute nonsense and if you are just trying to wind me up then kindly just say so because if otherwise I'm just not going to waste my time and I'll go back into 'retirement' (as Pax put it earlier).

No, Scotland was not colonised by England and if you wrote a thesis saying that it was then I am sorry to say, but....it's fit for the fire, period, if you believe that to be the history of the UNITED Kingdom.

All I can say is...read up on your British history and get your facts right. Read up on the Highland clearances and the Union of The Crowns. There is a wealth of information about both on the WWW.

Renton's line in Trainspotting is funny and echoes what many pissed off Scots feel like. It's not actually factual what he's saying! He's a fictional character saying something I've probably felt and said many times myself as a matter of frustration. Many Scots do feel that they were colonised simply because we are by far the smaller of the two countries and even though Scotland is OVER represented in the House of Commons, we always felt ruled over because the Parliament is in London.

With that, I am now going back into retirement, have a good day. I can't and will not carry on or entertain any more.

i'm sorry if my tone came off wrong -- i was serious about colonization, and i was seeking more information from you. i am not trying to get a rise, i was just offering rationale for my statement.

i think there might be different definitions of what colonization is? that was one of the things i talked about -- white on white colonization, as opposed to obvious white on brown colonization in India, say, is far more psychological and less easily identifiable as such.

if i've offended you, it was not my intention to do so.
__________________
Irvine511 is online now  
Old 09-20-2005, 02:36 PM   #40
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,471
Local Time: 10:57 AM
and, Ewen, just so you know i really am curious, here's an opening paragraph of an essay written by my thesis advisor -- this was an essay that he and i worked on, and which my thesis played a role in helping him develop. (i've taken out his name, though it is google-able). and i totally thought up the title!



"Wankerdom: Trainspotting As a Rejection of the Postcolonial?"

People of Scottish descent are usually proud about their history and their achievements. . . . They can recite many names and details in the familiar story of their people. "Braveheart" William Wallace and Robert the Bruce; the Arbroath Declaration and Mary Queen of Scots; Robert Burns and Bonnie Prince Charlie.
—Arthur Herman, How the Scots Invented the Modern World

The experience of defeat, followed by enforced union, changed forever the relationship . . . to England . . . never again could the Scots deceive themselves that the English lacked the will or the means to conquer them.
—John Robertson, quoted in Tom Nairn, Faces of Nationalism: Janus Revisited


Long before and long after the "enforced union" of 1707, Scots from across the ideological spectrum have come to recognize that they are—despite occasional pretenses and denials to the contrary—a people "colonized" by the English. From William Wallace's "braveheart" struggle against Edward I in the early fourteenth century to the Highland chieftain Rob Roy's quest for honor against the Duke of Montrose some three hundred years later, from Robertson's critiques to the verse of Jacobite poet laureate Robbie Burns, from the maverick politicking of Tom Johnson early in the twentieth century to the contemporary work of Tom Nairn, the Scots have battled gamely but unsuccessfully against domination from the South. Ruled by England yet part of Britain, the Scots have historically struggled between the desire for autonomy and independence from and the reality of assimilation and integration into Westminister.

To add yet another paradox, Wallace's people have been colonized by the Anglos yet are complicit in the colonizing project of the nineteenth and twentieth centuries, ...
__________________
Irvine511 is online now  
Old 09-20-2005, 02:42 PM   #41
Blue Crack Addict
 
joyfulgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 16,615
Local Time: 08:57 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511


i do think it's interesting how much perception of statistics influences our expectations of a place. never, not once, have i ever had a bad experience in any American city. yet, someone attempted to pickpocket me in Prague and in Brussels (crafty me, i had my wallet hidden, so they got nothing). in Morocco, everyone seemed delighted to meet an American and were pleasantly surprised that i spoke (some) French. and everyone thinks i'm german (have been called "Fritz" on more than one occasion). so ... who knows?

go travel and make your own impressions.
I totally agree. Well, my apartment was broken into in NYC but for 15 years I traveled bad neighborhoods late at night on foot and by subway and was never even more than slightly uncomfortable, to be honest. Probably I was stupid a lot but I never had any problems on the streets. But I had money stolen in fabulous Berlin and the so-called American-hating mean Parisiens invited me into their homes and to eat with their families (they apparently couldn't bear the sight of a woman eating in a restaurant alone) and one family gave me the key to their apartment since they were leaving for the south of France and decided my cheap lodgings were unacceptable. I think I experienced broken stereotypes all over Europe (and hopefully broke a few of my own on behalf of Americans!).
__________________
joyfulgirl is offline  
Old 09-20-2005, 08:27 PM   #42
Refugee
 
LoveTown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Maine, USA
Posts: 1,359
Local Time: 11:57 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by ewen



You haven't been chased by a bunch of kilted men with bagpipes then!


umm

Stop yer wishful thinking, Irvine!!



Lovetown, I'm not going to dignify your amateur and naive summary with much more than...."The Brits" are Scottish, English and Welsh so your post doesn't really make much sense. Also, Scotland has the same pub culture as the north of England, Wales or Ireland. Therefore, as a Scot, I'm pretty offended by your posts. However, I won't resort to violence.


The Scottish violence is primarly sectarian (Celtic and Rangers, Catholics and Protestants) or within youth gangs. I've lived in Scotland all my life and I feel perfectly safe walking around in the wee hours. I feel far more safe here than I would down in London or Manchester, I can assure you that. You're not going to be jumped or mugged, folks.

Come to Scotland, it's great.

http://www.visitscotland.com/




EDITED to add:

I'm not saying that you're likely to be mugged in London or Manchester, I just constructed that last sentence a bit poorly.

Im sorry. Of course I wasn't being serious. I was trying to be silly. I'll just shut up and go away now. Sorry
__________________
LoveTown is offline  
Old 09-21-2005, 02:26 AM   #43
New Yorker
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Perth, WA
Posts: 2,710
Local Time: 11:57 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
i also remember hearing that Scots were fine, but the following people weren't:

The English -- they colonized Scotland, violently
The Americans -- responsible for a little place called Hollywood
The Australians -- responsible for a little man called Mel Gibson

Actually Mel Gibson is an American....
__________________
Tania is offline  
Old 09-21-2005, 05:20 AM   #44
Blue Crack Addict
 
Dismantled's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Vermont
Posts: 21,345
Local Time: 11:57 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Tania


Actually Mel Gibson is an American....
really?



__________________
Dismantled is offline  
Old 09-21-2005, 09:27 AM   #45
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
Vincent Vega's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Berlin
Posts: 6,615
Local Time: 04:57 PM
Maybe today he is an American, but originally Mel Gibson was an Australian.

Sorry that it happened to you in Berlin, joyfulgirl.
__________________

__________________
Vincent Vega is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com