ACLU - Page 8 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-17-2006, 03:33 PM   #106
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,692
Local Time: 08:13 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isBest

Why does it matter where it takes place? A communion can be held anywhere; doesn't make it not a communion.
My point is, it's just a simulation nothing more, nothing less.

Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isBest

You still didn't answer my question, BVS. Do you think it would be right to force a Muslim child to take communion, knowing full well that is a religious tradition that honors what Muslims consider a lie?
They aren't taking communion.


Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isBest


It wasn't "just a few days". It was 3 weeks, which is plenty of time to go in depth. That's 15 hours.
15 hours is nothing, how long have you been studying the Bible?


Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isBest

What lies? Even if someone were spreading lies about Islam, why is a public school, paid for by public tax dollars, the place to lay down what some teacher considers to be the truth about Islam?
What lies? Just close your eyes and click on thread, bet you'll find at least one. It's not one one teacher considers to be the truth, I'm guessing you haven't actually read the curriculum yet.


Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isBest

When these kids are forced to participate in religious practices, those religious practices are being endorsed (approved of) by the teacher, because like I said, she's not going to have them participate in something she does not approve of.
THEY AREN'T PARTICIPATING IN RELIGIOUS PRACTICES. I'm not sure how many times you need to be told that.
__________________

__________________
BVS is online now  
Old 09-17-2006, 04:21 PM   #107
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
80sU2isBest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Posts: 4,970
Local Time: 09:13 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

My point is, it's just a simulation nothing more, nothing less.
Why should a student be forced to even "simulate' religious practices?

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar
[B]15 hours is nothing, how long have you been studying the Bible? ]
That's a ridiculous comparison. I am a Christian - of course I've read the Bible a lot more than 15 hours. But again, the question is this: should a student in a public school paid for by tax dollars be forced to study any religion for even an hour?

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar
[B]What lies? Just close your eyes and click on thread, bet you'll find at least one. It's not one one teacher considers to be the truth, I'm guessing you haven't actually read the curriculum yet.
I sure have. In fact, I quoted several passages a few posts back.

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar
THEY AREN'T PARTICIPATING IN RELIGIOUS PRACTICES. I'm not sure how many times you need to be told that.
No? Then what exactly do you call being forced to participate in one of Islam's fasts? Whether it's for an hour or a day, it doesn't matter. That religious practice of fasting is a requirement for that curriculum.

And what about the banner that they are required to make with Allah's praises on it?

Look, people can't have it both ways. "No religion in public schools" means NO religion. If public schools can force kids to study Islam and even particpate in the religious practice of fasting, then every other religion on the face of the earth should be studied in public schools.
__________________

__________________
80sU2isBest is offline  
Old 09-17-2006, 04:32 PM   #108
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,692
Local Time: 08:13 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isBest


Why should a student be forced to even "simulate' religious practices?
Why should students be forced to do anything?

Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isBest

then every other religion on the face of the earth should be studied in public schools.
This I agree with...

And we don't know what these schools do, we just have one piece of curriculum.
__________________
BVS is online now  
Old 09-17-2006, 04:45 PM   #109
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
80sU2isBest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Posts: 4,970
Local Time: 09:13 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar


Why should students be forced to do anything?
It is very very difficult for people to come even close to prospering in this life without a decent education in math, grammar, and history.

Can the same be said about studying Islam?

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

And we don't know what these schools do, we just have one piece of curriculum.
Actually, we can be pretty sure they don't have a curriculum in "Understanding Christianity". How can we be reasonably sure about that? Because it would be plastered all over the national news, and there would most definitely have been a topic about it here at FYM.

That aside, I'm not even sure why I am arguing with you about this. My argument is based on the idea of "public schools not teaching religion". You don't support that idea, so I can understand why you wouldn't have a problem with this curriculum.
__________________
80sU2isBest is offline  
Old 09-17-2006, 05:19 PM   #110
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,692
Local Time: 08:13 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isBest

Can the same be said about studying Islam?
Yes.


Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isBest

Actually, we can be pretty sure they don't have a curriculum in "Understanding Christianity". How can we be reasonably sure about that? Because it would be plastered all over the national news, and there would most definitely have been a topic about it here at FYM.

That aside, I'm not even sure why I am arguing with you about this. My argument is based on the idea of "public schools not teaching religion". You don't support that idea, so I can understand why you wouldn't have a problem with this curriculum.
I don't like functioning on assumptions.

Religion is part of history and is integral to society and cultures, and should be taught in the same context.
__________________
BVS is online now  
Old 09-17-2006, 10:20 PM   #111
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
80sU2isBest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Posts: 4,970
Local Time: 09:13 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isBest

It is difficult for people to come even close to prospering in this life without a decent education in math, grammar, and history.

Can the same be said about studying Islam?
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar
Yes.
Are you pulling my leg at this point? Do you really think that it is very very difficult for people to come even close to prospering in this life without studying Islam?

In what way does not studying Islam hinder someone's chances at prosperity?

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar
don't like functioning on assumptions.
You didn't have any problem assuming that because I hadn't been taught about other religions in school, that I hadn't studied other religions at all.

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar
Religion is part of history and is integral to society and cultures, and should be taught in the same context.
It's not possible to study every religion, is it? Then how do you pick and choose? How can we force the students to take a 15 hours course on Islam but say "Sorry, no can do on Hinduism, Judaism, Christianity, Christian Science, Scientology, Buddhism, Sikhism, Zoroastrianism, Bahai, etc. etc? "
__________________
80sU2isBest is offline  
Old 09-17-2006, 10:28 PM   #112
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,692
Local Time: 08:13 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isBest

Are you pulling my leg at this point? Do you really think that it is very very difficult for people to come even close to prospering in this life without studying Islam?

In what way does not studying Islam hinder someone's chances at prosperity?
This planet would prosper if we were all a little more educated about each other's faiths and beliefs.



Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isBest


It's not possible to study every religion, is it? Then how do you pick and choose? How can we force the students to take a 15 hours course on Islam but say "Sorry, no can do on Hinduism, Judaism, Christianity, Christian Science, Scientology, Buddhism, Sikhism, Zoroastrianism, Bahai, etc. etc? "
Part of our schooling is based on percentages, we don't teach underwater basket weaving because honestly how often would you ever really have to do so? Percentage wise what are your largest religions?
__________________
BVS is online now  
Old 09-17-2006, 10:35 PM   #113
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
80sU2isBest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Posts: 4,970
Local Time: 09:13 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar


This planet would prosper if we were all a little more educated about each other's faiths and beliefs.
That is not what I asked, and that is not what you answered yes to.





Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

Part of our schooling is based on percentages, we don't teach underwater basket weaving because honestly how often would you ever really have to do so? Percentage wise what are your largest religions?
Percentage wise I would say Buddhism, Islam, Christianity, Hinduism, and Judaism, but I'm not sure.

So, are you advocating teaching a 15 hour course on each of those, and forcing the students to make a banner in praise of each religion's God?
__________________
80sU2isBest is offline  
Old 09-17-2006, 10:42 PM   #114
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,692
Local Time: 08:13 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isBest


and that is not what you answered yes to.
Yes, it is.






Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isBest

Percentage wise I would say Buddhism, Islam, Christianity, Hinduism, and Judaism, but I'm not sure.

So, are you advocating teaching a 15 hour course on each of those, and forcing the students to make a banner in praise of each religion's God?
Honestly I think 15 hours is probably a little long, but yes an educational course on these would probably benefit us all.
__________________
BVS is online now  
Old 09-17-2006, 11:44 PM   #115
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
80sU2isBest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Posts: 4,970
Local Time: 09:13 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar


Yes, it is.
How can you say that when the truth is written down in blue and light blue just a few posts up?

I did not ask "Would the planet propsper if we were all a little more educated about each other's faiths and belief?", so how could you have answered yes to a question I didn't ask?

What I said was this:

"It is very very difficult for people to come even close to prospering in this life without a decent education in math, grammar, and history.

Can the same be said about studying Islam?"

And that is what you answered "yes" to.


Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar
Honestly I think 15 hours is probably a little long, but yes an educational course on these would probably benefit us all.
And parents' wishes are thrown out the window?
__________________
80sU2isBest is offline  
Old 09-17-2006, 11:50 PM   #116
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,692
Local Time: 08:13 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isBest


What I said was this:

"It is very very difficult for people to come even close to prospering in this life without a decent education in math, grammar, and history.

Can the same be said about studying Islam?"

And that is what you answered "yes" to.
And I stand by what I said, I do believe this world will find it very difficult to prosper without this education. Hate is easy to breed in ignorance.



Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isBest


And parents' wishes are thrown out the window?
Any parent who wishes their child to go through life not knowing what their friends, neighbors, or people in other countries believe in aren't much of parents.
__________________
BVS is online now  
Old 09-18-2006, 12:52 AM   #117
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
80sU2isBest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Posts: 4,970
Local Time: 09:13 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

Any parent who wishes their child to go through life not knowing what their friends, neighbors, or people in other countries believe in aren't much of parents.
Why do you assume that a parent who doesn't want his kid to participate in simulations of Islamic religious practices is a parent wishes his child would go through life not knowing what their friends, neighbors, or people in other countries believe? Do you know the motivations of parents?

Good grief, for someone who doesn't like to "function on assumptions", you sure do make a lot of them.
__________________
80sU2isBest is offline  
Old 09-18-2006, 01:09 AM   #118
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,692
Local Time: 08:13 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isBest


Why do you assume that a parent who doesn't want his kid to participate in simulations of Islamic religious practices is a parent wishes his child would go through life not knowing what their friends, neighbors, or people in other countries believe? Do you know the motivations of parents?

Not an assumption, deductive reasoning.

Why don't you tell me the motivations of someone who would deny this. They going to teach the child themselves? That's a laugh.
__________________
BVS is online now  
Old 09-18-2006, 01:29 AM   #119
Forum Moderator
 
yolland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 7,471
Local Time: 03:13 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isBest
The students must not only learn the "Five Pillars Of Faith", but imitate a requirement of each pillar. This requires the following: (1) Making a banner with an Islamic confession of faith on it (2) Memorize five Islamic proverbs (3) Give up one hour of lunch.
I agree that (3) was an eyebrow-raiser, as it goes beyond what a role-playing project would normally require. I think you are misrepresenting (1); the concept there is to make a "city banner" (in keeping with the "tribal caravan" theme), and the Bismillah (which is not a confession of faith--that would be the Shahadah, "there is no God but Allah..."), as well as the city name and "Arabesque designs" called for, are indeed historically likely components of such a banner. Concerning (2), and as I mentioned previously, those proverbs are Arab (and are identified as such), not "Islamic"; they are not religious in nature; one does mention "God" in an epithetical context, though in any case, that need not be among the five memorized.
Quote:
They also encourage students to use the phrase "in sha Allah". Allah is a name that opnly Muslims use for God.
Again, this is just an epithet--"God willing"--and anyhow its use is not required. By this logic any utterance of the English word "God" in any curricular context should also be forbidden, which would make teaching many phases of history difficult. When we role-played a Puritan witch trial in my elementary school, we used the word "God" copiously; it would be hard to role-play a Puritan without doing so.
Quote:
Originally posted by maycocksean
If this were a lesson on Christianity, I really do believe there would be a lot more hostile reaction to it by many on this board...I suspect many would feel that teaching a Christianity unit would be an attempt at sneaking in "conversion" into the classroom.

I feel that teaching about religion in public school is absolutely appropriate in a historical and cultural context (and I am a HUGE proponent of church and state seperation). There is a difference between teaching religion and teaching about religion. It should be done thoughtfully and carefully but it can be done.
I agree that it is appropriate in such a context, and I personally would have no intrinsic objection to a unit on Christianity that used a historical scenario analogous to this one. Admittedly it's difficult to envision precisely what an analogous scenario might look like for comparison's sake because, living inside the "Christian world" as we do, the historic and cultural stereotypes called to mind when contemplating "What does an archetypal Christian act like" are far more diverse, and these stereotypes' obfuscation by casual awareness of Christians as, e.g., one's less-than-archetypal next door neighbor, are far more extensive. As mentioned above, when I was in grade school (no longer remember which grade) we did a project that involved role-playing a Salem witch trial, in which I played a Puritan magistrate who quoted the Bible, made accusations that the "defendants" had made covenants with the Devil, etc. In my junior high school there was a role-playing project involving the recreation of life in a series of medieval European social environments, one of which was a monastery. (I got stuck with playing a scripturally illiterate peasant, so I'm afraid I don't recall the specifics of what playing a monk entailed.) And although I did not attend a public high school, I know many of them do have students read portions of the Bible, most typically the Genesis creation narrative, as literature in English classes.

I don't myself have any intrinsic objection to these sorts of activities, and I don't consider them to constitute "teaching religion" as you put it. As a parent I'm ultimately more interested in my children learning the theological and philosophical basics of other religions than the anthropological ones, but I have no fundamental issue with schools addressing the latter, as the project in question aims to, in my view. I don't know that I personally object to teaching the former at the high school level, either (not much point in attempting it before that), but I think actually that is more likely to run into crossing-the-line problems.
__________________
yolland [at] interference.com


μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
yolland is offline  
Old 09-18-2006, 02:06 AM   #120
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
80sU2isBest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Posts: 4,970
Local Time: 09:13 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar


Not an assumption, deductive reasoning.
It's an assumption, because you know nothing about the reasoning of so many parents.

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar
Why don't you tell me the motivations of someone who would deny this. They going to teach the child themselves? That's a laugh.
Whether the parent wants to teach a child about multiple religions or none at all, it is the parent's right, and the parent's responsibility. No one else should be able to make such a decison for the parent. Not you, not the school system.

If I were a parent, I would want to raise my child in the faith I follow, because I believe it is the one true faith. I do not want my child to simulate a religious practice of Islam. When the child gets to the age where he/she is mature enough to study and form his/her own opinions of other religions, I won't like it, but it's not my choice to make at that point. However, I will not allow the public school system and teachers, who may indeed have their own biases and agendas, to instruct my child in the religious practices of a religion that I consider a false religion. It is my right and responsibility as a parent. A school system has no right poking its nose into the religious upbringing of its students.

I'm curious about something. I am honestly not trying to be rude when I ask this question. Are you a supporter of socialism?
__________________

__________________
80sU2isBest is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:13 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com