A provocative question as usual... - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-23-2005, 12:04 PM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Macfistowannabe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Ohio
Posts: 4,129
Local Time: 10:40 AM
A provocative question as usual...

What has ATHEISM done for you?
How have you benefited from it?
__________________

__________________
Macfistowannabe is offline  
Old 04-23-2005, 12:08 PM   #2
ONE
love, blood, life
 
namkcuR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Kettering, Ohio
Posts: 10,290
Local Time: 09:40 AM
I'm agnostic.
__________________

__________________
namkcuR is offline  
Old 04-23-2005, 12:14 PM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
VertigoGal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: I'm never alone (I'm alone all the time)
Posts: 9,860
Local Time: 09:40 AM
It made me depressed/suicidal/unable to concentrate on anything/wondering why the hell I'm even here.

I finally submitted to the fact that I can't know either way, if there is or isn't a god. To say for sure that there's nothing else seems arrogant (in the same way that saying you *know* for sure your religion is 100% right is), and frankly during my little atheist spell I spent most of my time wondering what it's like to not exist, feeling there's no point in living, and thinking that I might as well end it now.

Now I'm going with "agnostic".

But then, many religions also seem arrogant if taken as the absolute truth (at least they tell ya where you're going!). So I guess in the same way religions are right for certain people, maybe atheism is right for some people...Just not me.

Even if there is no god, I don't want to know for sure.
__________________
VertigoGal is offline  
Old 04-23-2005, 12:18 PM   #4
The Fly
 
BassTrap82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Roosendaal (Holland)
Posts: 276
Local Time: 03:40 PM
There is no god
__________________
BassTrap82 is offline  
Old 04-23-2005, 12:20 PM   #5
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,495
Local Time: 09:40 AM
atheism places unshakable faith in logic.

i respect it tremendously.
__________________
Irvine511 is online now  
Old 04-23-2005, 12:22 PM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Macfistowannabe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Ohio
Posts: 4,129
Local Time: 10:40 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by BassTrap82
There is no god
My question is simply what has this belief done for your life, and how have you benefitted from it.
__________________
Macfistowannabe is offline  
Old 04-23-2005, 12:26 PM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
VertigoGal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: I'm never alone (I'm alone all the time)
Posts: 9,860
Local Time: 09:40 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by BassTrap82
There is no god
Oh.

Thanks a lot.

I'll go run my head into a wall now.

hey, remember that simpsons episode where homer proves there's no god while working on a tax proposal. the one w/ the crayon in the brain. lol
__________________
VertigoGal is offline  
Old 04-23-2005, 12:31 PM   #8
Blue Crack Addict
 
daygloeyes2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: No Emily's Allowed
Posts: 26,459
Local Time: 09:40 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by VertigoGal


Oh.

Thanks a lot.

I'll go run my head into a wall now.

hey, remember that simpsons episode where homer proves there's no god while working on a tax proposal. the one w/ the crayon in the brain. lol
And then Flanders finds the leaflet on his car, looks at it, figures out he's right, and says "We can't let this be getting around." and starts taking the other leaflets off of other cars.
__________________
daygloeyes2 is offline  
Old 04-23-2005, 12:33 PM   #9
The Fly
 
BassTrap82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Roosendaal (Holland)
Posts: 276
Local Time: 03:40 PM
I don't think atheism is a believe. Believing in a god is stupid.
God doesn't exist, that's the truth!
__________________
BassTrap82 is offline  
Old 04-23-2005, 12:34 PM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Macfistowannabe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Ohio
Posts: 4,129
Local Time: 10:40 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by BassTrap82
I don't think atheism is a believe. Believing in a god is stupid.
God doesn't exist, that's the truth!
There's not really any proving that, that's why I see it as a belief rather than a fact.
__________________
Macfistowannabe is offline  
Old 04-23-2005, 12:36 PM   #11
The Fly
 
BassTrap82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Roosendaal (Holland)
Posts: 276
Local Time: 03:40 PM
no! you're not right, sorry!
__________________
BassTrap82 is offline  
Old 04-23-2005, 12:37 PM   #12
Blue Crack Addict
 
deep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: A far distance down.
Posts: 28,501
Local Time: 06:40 AM
Re: A provocative question as usual...

Quote:
Originally posted by Macfistowannabe
What has ATHEISM done for you?
How have you benefited from it?
i'm not an atheist


but I can add that they don't spend their weekends lining up with thousands of believers
waiting to view a sewer stain on a tunnel wall
believing that God spent his time
creating a concrete Rorschach test for the faithful
__________________
deep is offline  
Old 04-23-2005, 12:43 PM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Macfistowannabe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Ohio
Posts: 4,129
Local Time: 10:40 AM
Quote:
VertigoGal:
It made me depressed/suicidal/unable to concentrate on anything/wondering why the hell I'm even here.

I finally submitted to the fact that I can't know either way, if there is or isn't a god. To say for sure that there's nothing else seems arrogant (in the same way that saying you *know* for sure your religion is 100% right is), and frankly during my little atheist spell I spent most of my time wondering what it's like to not exist, feeling there's no point in living, and thinking that I might as well end it now.

Now I'm going with "agnostic".

But then, many religions also seem arrogant if taken as the absolute truth (at least they tell ya where you're going!). So I guess in the same way religions are right for certain people, maybe atheism is right for some people...Just not me.

Even if there is no god, I don't want to know for sure.
Very good answer.

Quote:
Irvine 511:
atheism places unshakable faith in logic.

i respect it tremendously.
It certainly does take a lot of faith (in atheism) to make that absolution. It relies fully on what we might know rather than what we might not know.
__________________
Macfistowannabe is offline  
Old 04-23-2005, 12:49 PM   #14
ONE
love, blood, life
 
melon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 11,781
Local Time: 09:40 AM
Re: A provocative question as usual...

Quote:
Originally posted by Macfistowannabe
What has ATHEISM done for you?
How have you benefited from it?
I guess the other question could be asked of religion. What has it done for you? How have you benefitted from it?

I'm not an atheist, obviously, but I'd imagine that people find plenty of fulfillment outside of religion. Personally, religion gives me nothing more than a huge headache.

Melon
__________________
melon is offline  
Old 04-23-2005, 12:52 PM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Macfistowannabe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Ohio
Posts: 4,129
Local Time: 10:40 AM
Re: Re: A provocative question as usual...

Quote:
Originally posted by melon
I guess the other question could be asked of religion. What has it done for you? How have you benefitted from it?
That's exactly what led me to start this thread. There have been numerous threads about what your faith in a diety does for you. I figured why not have some interesting discussion by reversing the question.

Quote:
I'm not an atheist, obviously, but I'd imagine that people find plenty of fulfillment outside of religion. Personally, religion gives me nothing more than a huge headache.
Plenty of fulfillment.. hrm... Some dozen replies, and I still have no idea how it can be fulfilling at all.
__________________

__________________
Macfistowannabe is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:40 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com