2016 US Presidential Election Thread Part VI - Page 27 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 03-09-2016, 02:21 PM   #391
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
YBORCITY's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: FLA
Posts: 5,139
Local Time: 04:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack_Again View Post
I think Roger knows how to make the final cut.
... through the fish-eyed lens of tear stained eyes... I can barely define the shape of this moment in time....


Seriously though, watching Trump throw all of those hecklers out of his rally's reminds me of the part of the movie The Wall when Pink was throwing out all of "those people" during the song In The Flesh.
__________________

__________________
YBORCITY is offline  
Old 03-09-2016, 02:35 PM   #392
Blue Crack Distributor
 
Headache in a Suitcase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Stateless
Posts: 56,415
Local Time: 04:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyNumber7 View Post
I think the seed has been planted that Bernie Sanders is a "Social Democrat" already, with intentions of fighting that battle if it ever came in the general election. It'd be a big deal, for sure. But, I can't imagine all of those previously mentioned demographics caring about an attack on Sanders being "socialist," when the alternative is acting like an oppressive fascist.
What it will lead to is low turnout, which clearly favors Herr Drumpf
__________________

__________________
Headache in a Suitcase is online now  
Old 03-09-2016, 02:39 PM   #393
Blue Crack Addict
 
anitram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: NY
Posts: 16,289
Local Time: 04:04 PM
I'm actually beginning to find some Hillary supporters as irritating as the Bernie bros for their inability or plain old unwillingness to recognize and admit that she also has major electability issues. Do I think she has better odds than Bernie in the general? Yes, and I always have. But the woman is NOT likeable, is perceived to be a major liar, seems to have an aura of entitlement about this being her year which is what leads to sitting back and relying on polls rather than actually getting people out to vote. There are basically 4 kinds of people out there - 1. those who would rather eat shards of glass than vote for Hillary (i.e. most Republicans and many other independents), 2. those who are very excited to vote for her (I believe a smaaaaall number of mostly older women), 3. those who would vote for her because the other side is a total shit show but will do so holding their nose (probably a lot of independents, give or take who the GOP rep is) and 4. Democrats who will vote for a democrat no matter what.

Once you remove #1, you are left with three groups, of which only the smallest one has any enthusiasm. #3 and #4 are not the people who will go balls out volunteering and getting out the vote. Not for Hillary, anyway.

And yet so many Hillary supporters run around smugly criticizing Bernie's supporters as dreamers, calling them kids and other names to minimize their impact, and keep citing her resume as a great selling point. Wake up, clearly many of your fellow citizens don't give half a crap about resumes, experience or anything of the sort this year!

Really worrisome when the alternative is an orange bowel movement.
__________________
anitram is offline  
Old 03-09-2016, 02:50 PM   #394
ONE
love, blood, life
 
LuckyNumber7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Leicester, UK
Posts: 12,368
Local Time: 04:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
What it will lead to is low turnout, which clearly favors Herr Drumpf

Does it? I think Trump is utterly unpredictable. I don't know who that would favor. But I also don't see low turnout for those two candidates. While I get that they might have some people who say "hell no," I feel like head to head the same people saying hell no might also be saying hell no across the isle. A democrat who isn't in support of Sanders and won't vote for him is probably more likely to vote for him if he's up against Trump. That works both ways. I feel like a Trump-Sanders election would produce good turnout.
__________________
LuckyNumber7 is online now  
Old 03-09-2016, 03:08 PM   #395
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
BigMacPhisto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 6,255
Local Time: 04:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
Are these the lies they're trying to sell you on berniefanboy.com?

Hispanic vote doesn't matter? Is that why both sides are fighting tooth and nail to court them? Somehow you're privy to information that all other campaign managers don't have?

When you were interviewing the black people of America did you happen to ask them their views on the new Star Wars as well? Just curious...
I'm making my assessment based on a FiveThirtyEight article...most of the Asians/Latinos in this country are in states that aren't even close to being swing ones. The non-white demographics of this country are important, especially in down-ballot races. But as far as the Electoral College is concerned, Latinos and Asians have almost no effect on the outcome as they are concentrated in heavily Blue and Red states.

And again, non-white voters matter greatly in the primaries for the Democratic Party. I was merely referring to the general election.

I don't even know what point you are trying to make about black voters with that comment.
__________________
BigMacPhisto is offline  
Old 03-09-2016, 03:12 PM   #396
Blue Crack Addict
 
Hewson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Your own private Idaho
Posts: 26,484
Local Time: 04:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyNumber7 View Post
But Trump will easily collect the young vote, the black vote, the female vote, the Latino vote, etc over Trump. .
That's politician speak right there.
__________________
Hewson is online now  
Old 03-09-2016, 04:14 PM   #397
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,675
Local Time: 03:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMacPhisto View Post
I'm making my assessment based on a FiveThirtyEight article...most of the Asians/Latinos in this country are in states that aren't even close to being swing ones. The non-white demographics of this country are important, especially in down-ballot races. But as far as the Electoral College is concerned, Latinos and Asians have almost no effect on the outcome as they are concentrated in heavily Blue and Red states.

And again, non-white voters matter greatly in the primaries for the Democratic Party. I was merely referring to the general election.

I don't even know what point you are trying to make about black voters with that comment.

They may not "matter" in swing states, but if you lose them or don't get them out they may turn other states into swing states, so to say they don't matter in general elections is silly.

My point is simple; stop speaking on other people's behalf! You don't know why or if black voters will vote for Sanders, you don't speak for middle aged women, you don't know why Lena Dunham is voting the way she is voting; stop pretending otherwise.


Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
__________________
BVS is online now  
Old 03-09-2016, 06:11 PM   #398
ONE
love, blood, life
 
LuckyNumber7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Leicester, UK
Posts: 12,368
Local Time: 04:04 PM
2016 US Presidential Election Thread Part VI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewson View Post
That's politician speak right there.

Haha that was a total brain fart. I meant Sanders will easily collect those demographics. Thankfully my redundancy avoids backlash 😅
__________________
LuckyNumber7 is online now  
Old 03-09-2016, 07:46 PM   #399
Blue Crack Addict
 
PhilsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Standing on the shore, facing east.
Posts: 18,880
Local Time: 04:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
I'm actually beginning to find some Hillary supporters as irritating as the Bernie bros for their inability or plain old unwillingness to recognize and admit that she also has major electability issues. Do I think she has better odds than Bernie in the general? Yes, and I always have. But the woman is NOT likeable, is perceived to be a major liar, seems to have an aura of entitlement about this being her year which is what leads to sitting back and relying on polls rather than actually getting people out to vote. There are basically 4 kinds of people out there - 1. those who would rather eat shards of glass than vote for Hillary (i.e. most Republicans and many other independents), 2. those who are very excited to vote for her (I believe a smaaaaall number of mostly older women), 3. those who would vote for her because the other side is a total shit show but will do so holding their nose (probably a lot of independents, give or take who the GOP rep is) and 4. Democrats who will vote for a democrat no matter what.

Once you remove #1, you are left with three groups, of which only the smallest one has any enthusiasm. #3 and #4 are not the people who will go balls out volunteering and getting out the vote. Not for Hillary, anyway.

And yet so many Hillary supporters run around smugly criticizing Bernie's supporters as dreamers, calling them kids and other names to minimize their impact, and keep citing her resume as a great selling point. Wake up, clearly many of your fellow citizens don't give half a crap about resumes, experience or anything of the sort this year!

Really worrisome when the alternative is an orange bowel movement.
Bingo. I'm frustrated by both groups' supporters for different reasons. Both are far from locks in the general election right now.
__________________
PhilsFan is offline  
Old 03-09-2016, 08:35 PM   #400
Blue Crack Addict
 
DaveC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: illegitimi non carborundum
Posts: 17,408
Local Time: 04:04 PM
No One Would Build Donald Trump's Mexico Border Wall Because it is Impossible and Irresponsible - CityLab
__________________
DaveC is online now  
Old 03-09-2016, 09:00 PM   #401
Refugee
 
Bluer White's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Maine
Posts: 1,884
Local Time: 04:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMacPhisto View Post
If you look at the delegate targets for each area (which are what the candidates would expect to get in a race that was tied 50-50 nationally), it really isn't that hard to see Sanders meeting those marks. Of course, in a race where he should be trailing Clinton by a few dozen delegates, but instead is trailing her by about 200, it's obvious he wasn't anywhere near the 50-50 mark in national support. Plus, he took an absolute drubbing in the highly black deep-south states which are now all behind him.

He's continuing to creep up on Clinton nationally and if he could get close to a draw in delegates next Tuesday, he could start launching a comeback where he continues to gain on her for the rest of the race.
Bernie edged out a very impressive win in Michigan, but likely will leave the state with less Michigan delegates than Mrs. Clinton...

Them's the rules
__________________
Bluer White is online now  
Old 03-09-2016, 09:25 PM   #402
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,486
Local Time: 04:04 PM
2016 US Presidential Election Thread Part VI

My hope is that Cruz or Trump is enough to sufficiently terrify many voters to action, and on the other side, make a small group sit this one out. The sheer terror of VP Palin spurred me to action in 2008. And my sense is that many GOP "elites" wont vote for Trump or Cruz. They will sit this one out.

My honest thought is that both Sanders and HRC would win the general. Neither is as repulsive to large swaths of their constituents as Trump and Cruz are to theirs. Plus the map is waaaay in the Dem's favor.

Obviously, no one knows anyone, and we're all working these thoughts out in real time and reacting to events as they unfold.
__________________
Irvine511 is online now  
Old 03-09-2016, 09:53 PM   #403
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Polish-American Stronghold PA
Posts: 4,144
Local Time: 04:04 PM
Bernie the Old Jewish candidate won the city of Dearborn (America's biggest plurality Muslim city)

Trump carried it as well by ten points. Not sure how many Muslims are GOP registered though.


Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
__________________
Oregoropa is offline  
Old 03-09-2016, 09:53 PM   #404
ONE
love, blood, life
 
LuckyNumber7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Leicester, UK
Posts: 12,368
Local Time: 04:04 PM
While I think Clinton lacks a sincere tone (even if she means what she says sometimes), it's amazing to see how badly Sanders drops the ball when he's posed with a personal question.

That poor little Spanish lady was trembling on stage, bringing her story to the table. And he talks about how the New York Times rates his plan... he did the same thing to family members of gun violence victims (I forgot which event), citing his NRA D- record instead of sympathizing. C'mon, Bernie.
__________________
LuckyNumber7 is online now  
Old 03-09-2016, 09:54 PM   #405
ONE
love, blood, life
 
LuckyNumber7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Leicester, UK
Posts: 12,368
Local Time: 04:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregoropa View Post
Bernie the Old Jewish candidate won the city of Dearborn (America's biggest plurality Muslim city)

Trump carried it as well by ten points. Not sure how many Muslims are GOP registered though.


Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
Michigan is an open primary.
__________________

__________________
LuckyNumber7 is online now  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com