11 states vote on gay marriage - Page 18 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-16-2004, 01:37 PM   #256
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:39 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

There may be some who take their theology seriously that would find this offensive, not humorous.

I take the civil rights of my gay friends seriously and am offended daily by those who would deny them these rights based on theology. This "humorous" piece is related to Sherry Darling's questions which have never been answered adequately in any discussion of gay rights I've ever seen in this forum, or anywhere. The Christian interpretation of homosexuality, and the rights that are denied as a result, is just as ludicrous and offensive to me as anything in these "humorous" examples. So frankly, I am not concerned with how this may have offended anyone.

Old 11-16-2004, 03:15 PM   #257
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:39 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by joyfulgirl

I take the civil rights of my gay friends seriously and am offended daily by those who would deny them these rights based on theology. This "humorous" piece is related to Sherry Darling's questions which have never been answered adequately in any discussion of gay rights I've ever seen in this forum, or anywhere. The Christian interpretation of homosexuality, and the rights that are denied as a result, is just as ludicrous and offensive to me as anything in these "humorous" examples. So frankly, I am not concerned with how this may have offended anyone.

Scripture has been abused by men since the dawn of civilization; slavery, women's rights, civil rights, etc.

If this offends maybe they should take a theology class and find out the context of all these quotes.

Old 11-16-2004, 03:24 PM   #258
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:39 AM
sort of OT maybe, but I thought this was interesting..

Tue Nov 16

By Alison McCook

NEW YORK (Reuters Health) - Teenagers raised by two women appear to be as well adjusted as those who are raised by male-female couples, a new report indicates.

"Their adjustment is pretty normal - that is, indistinguishable from a matched group of kids being raised by opposite-sex parents," said study author Dr. Charlotte J. Patterson of the University of Virginia in Charlottesville.

Specifically, teens with same-sex parents appeared to be no more likely to have psychological problems, struggle at school, try intercourse, or have problems at home, the investigators found.

Critics have argued that same-sex parents "may in some way harm the children that are raised in these households," Patterson told Reuters Health. "And I think that our results speak to that concern, to some degree."

Previous research about children raised by same-sex parents has shown that by and large they tend to fare as well as their peers raised by a man and woman.

One study of teenagers raised by divorced lesbians found they had similar self-esteem as teenagers of divorced heterosexual parents, and appeared to fare better if their mothers had a partner living at home, their fathers were supportive of the relationship, and they learned of their mothers' orientation when they were relatively young.

To investigate further how teenagers fare with same-sex parents, Patterson and her colleagues reviewed information collected from a national sample of 44 12- to 18-year olds -- 23 girls and 21 boys -- living with mothers in same-sex partnerships.

The researchers compared those adolescents to 44 teens with mothers in opposite-sex relationships.

As reported in the journal Child Development, the investigators found that, overall, teens with parents in same-sex relationships appeared to have relatively high levels of self-esteem, little anxiety, few signs of depression, and to do well in school.

They were no more likely than other teens to have symptoms of depression, problems with self-esteem, or anxiety. They also reported feeling equal levels of warmth from their parents, and caring from adults and their peers.

Moreover, teens with mothers in same-sex unions appeared to get comparable grades, and be just as likely or unlikely to get in trouble in school. They were also no different in whether or not they had had sex, or been in a romantic relationship in the previous 18 months.

Patterson noted that teens who appeared to be most well adjusted in school also tended to have a particularly warm and close relationship with their parents. Clearly, parental closeness is connected to teenage well-being, she added; whether one causes the other is still unclear.

SOURCE: Child Development, November 2004.
Old 11-16-2004, 04:03 PM   #259
The Fly

Sexual orientation should not be an issue!

With rare exception, all of your convictions and opinions and introspections are praiseworthy and, personally, I am proud! This compliment comes from someone who actually fought the New York City police and started the now famous Stonewall Rebellion for Gay rights. Parades are now thoughout the world celebrating this historic event.

See a recent (June) feature story in The New York Times about some of the original 1969 Stonewall cops -- and Me -- and our long-last reunion and Stonewall forum at:

www.STONEWALLvets.org/parade/SW-35.htm

By the way, some people forget -- or don't know -- that one of the pilots of one of the hijacked four planes on Seprtember 11th, 2001 was GAY! And a few of U do know, via me, that one of the Stonewall Rebellion Vetz ("Ronnie") was murdered in one of the W.T.C. Twin Towers, where he was trapped without a chance to live on the 106th floor!

The main point is that the cowardly killers didn't care if someone was straight, Gay, bisexual, transgendered or none-of-the-above!
Old 11-16-2004, 10:26 PM   #260
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 09:39 AM
Quote:

There may be some who take their theology seriously that would find this offensive, not humorous.

I think we can leave it, however, in the humor category for now as it represents a lack of understanding of Scripture.
I'm not offended at all, I can tolerate a different view, and I think it presents a healthy debate. However, those who don't care to understand scripture will surely get lost in the debate.
Old 11-17-2004, 07:55 AM   #261
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:39 AM
Quote:
I take the civil rights of my gay friends seriously and am offended daily by those who would deny them these rights based on theology. This "humorous" piece is related to Sherry Darling's questions which have never been answered adequately in any discussion of gay rights I've ever seen in this forum, or anywhere. The Christian interpretation of homosexuality, and the rights that are denied as a result, is just as ludicrous and offensive to me as anything in these "humorous" examples.
If you have any follow-up questions to Sherry Darling's, please ask them.

I will be the first to agree that Scripture is mis-interpreted and abused historically and today. That is not a problem of Scripture, but with the individuals abusing it.

Quote:
So frankly, I am not concerned with how this may have offended anyone.
I personally was not offended, but I only suggest that care be taken; otherwise, this only perpetuates the problem.
Old 11-17-2004, 09:09 AM   #262
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

I will be the first to agree that Scripture is mis-interpreted and abused historically and today. That is not a problem of Scripture, but with the individuals abusing it.

or maybe it's to do with the nature of Scripture itself. since all reading is interpretation, perhaps the fault lies both with individuals seeking to manipulate scripture to further personal gain, political control, etc., and the fact that -- as any post-modernist would attest -- that there are no correct readings, simply valid ones that are necessarily contested.
Old 11-17-2004, 09:41 AM   #263
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

or maybe it's to do with the nature of Scripture itself. since all reading is interpretation, perhaps the fault lies both with individuals seeking to manipulate scripture to further personal gain, political control, etc., and the fact that -- as any post-modernist would attest -- that there are no correct readings, simply valid ones that are necessarily contested.
Fact is, the scripture was not written during our era, and we have misinterpretations based on this. Slavery is wrong, etc... but it wasn't a spiritual issue as much as it was a political issue. The bible is about love and truth. Some Christians are more about love than truth, others are more about truth than love. It's not easy to have a perfect balance of the two.
Old 11-17-2004, 04:49 PM   #264
War Child

Local Time: 11:39 PM
Quote:
I personally was not offended, but I only suggest that care be taken; otherwise, this only perpetuates the problem.
So people have to take care not to offend those who believe in the Bible, yet it's okay to rant on about how homosexuality is immoral?

Yay double standards!
Old 11-17-2004, 04:59 PM   #265
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by Renne

So people have to take care not to offend those who believe in the Bible, yet it's okay to rant on about how homosexuality is immoral?

Yay double standards!
Relax, relax, relax. If you read my response, I told you my point of view: I'm not offended by people who choose not to accept Biblical principals, and I'm also not offended by those who disagree with the lifestyle. I think if everyone took a deep breath , we wouldn't have to see opposing views as if someone was trying to rip them to shreds. May we all get along.
Old 11-17-2004, 05:36 PM   #266
New Yorker

Quote:

If you have any follow-up questions to Sherry Darling's, please ask them.

LOL--NBC, if she had a question to ask me, she would have. As she clearly stated, her point was not to follow up or question me. It was to note that my questions regarding the interpretation of these verses have not yet been answered.

RE Irvine's point about the "nature of Scripture", I agree and I'd even expand on that point. I think these difficulties are inherent in human beings interacting with text. It's inherent in language itself.

Peace,
Cheryl
Old 11-17-2004, 05:40 PM   #267
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:39 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Sherry Darling

LOL--NBC, if she had a question to ask me, she would have. As she clearly stated, her point was not to follow up or question me. It was to note that my questions regarding the interpretation of these verses have not yet been answered.
I would think that you are in the best position to note if your questions had been answered to your satisfaction.

Quote:
Originally posted by Sherry Darling
RE Irvine's point about the "nature of Scripture", I agree and I'd even expand on that point. I think these difficulties are inherent in human beings interacting with text. It's inherent in language itself.
Perhaps we could discuss this point further (maybe in a different thread). I feel there is always a danger to take one persons misuse of Scripture and use it as a basis to dismiss interpretations of other passages.
Old 11-17-2004, 06:18 PM   #268
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

I don't know about the rest of you guys, but my interpretation of scripture is strict and to the point (but not in a cut out your eyes kind of way). I'm a little tired of some people telling me that my biblical, "homophobic views" aren't welcome here just because I happen to disagree with a certain lifestyle. Is diversity (in this case, a different view) a threat to you?
Old 11-17-2004, 07:53 PM   #269
Blue Crack Supplier

can someone please, please, please tell me what the "gay lifestyle" is? because the people who know the most about it don't seem to be gay.
Old 11-17-2004, 08:43 PM   #270
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:39 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
can someone please, please, please tell me what the "gay lifestyle" is? because the people who know the most about it don't seem to be gay.
So true.