ZooTV Wembley Stadium Shows

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Skwege

The Fly
Anyone kind of wish that U2 might release a live album of one of the shows at Wembley Stadium from 1993? Especially considering those were some of the best performances of the tour, not to mention rare performances of Babyface and Zooropa.
Sure the audience bootlegs are nice, but an officially released soundboard album would kickass.

Eric

slane DVD is more , then enough for me right now , i mean thank god , they did released {T}wo shows from one tour , it was made for fans . also i will follow was perfomed during those london shows .

WinnieThePoo said:
slane DVD is more , then enough for me right now , i mean thank god , they did released {T}wo shows from one tour , it was made for fans . also i will follow was perfomed during those london shows .

Slane would be nice.
However in the future it would be nice to have a little more live releases from past tours.

Hehehe
Nothing stopping the band from leaking it and letting nature take its course:)

BTW maybe someone could answer something for me. Why was Sydney chosen as the location for the ZooTV TV Broadcast? I like Sydney and all, but Wembley Stadium just kicks ass. Some of the all time best concert videos were done at Wembley (Queen, INXS, just to name a few). Anyone know the specifics as to why Sydney was chosen?

sydney was chosen because its the 2nd greatest city in this great country ;)
no seriously i dont know, wembley was filmed as all Zoo Tv shows were....but i prefer the sydney show to wembley

Two reasons, Sydney was released because it was filmed for a live pay per view special. So U2 took that footage which was in the can already and released it. The pay per view was decided when the band decided to go to Australia (they were not sure they would). They had extra cameras for the pay per view as well over what the normal film contingent was for the standard show as a result of the pay per view, so more camera angles and production would be another factor.

Regarding London itself, the next week they had a live radio broadcast from Dublin of a very similiar performance to the last 2 London shows. So I would imagine that U2 thought it was unecessary in their minds to have London released and/or broadcast. Also, although they did play Zooropa and Babyface at a couple of the London shows they were not the most polished versions and I doudbt U2 would deem them worthy of release even though we would love them. I remember Edge saying that he did not think Babyface worked well live.

Zooropa and Babyface were live disasters. Actually, virtually all the songs off that album, save for Stay were live disasters. Ever wonder why they never played any of them again in future tours except for Stay?

Cheers,

J

dirty day was terrific , daddy's gonna pay for your crashed car was good , numb was good , lemon was excellent during zooropa tour .

I agree with Edge, Babyface is just not a live song. Nothing wrong with that. I don't think Numb is a great live song either.

Dirty Day was awesome on Sydney.
Lemon was also really good.
Stay always works.
Crashed Car was just OKAY, in my opinion.

I believe Zooropa could have been a good live song had they worked on it. Imagine they open the Zoo TV show with Zoo Station, play that song through, hold the last note out, BOOM! end Zoo Station. Immediately afterward, "click click click click" accompanied by the high pitched sweeping sound, and BOOM!! AND I HAVE NO COMPASS.....AND I HAVE NO MAPS........AND I HAVE NO REASON, NO REASONS TO GET BACK!!! The first half of Zooropa was never played live, as it really doesn't work. Zooropa is actually two songs in one. It's hard to write it, but I am playing it over in my head, and it sounds awesome.

WinnieThePoo said:
dirty day was terrific , daddy's gonna pay for your crashed car was good , numb was good , lemon was excellent during zooropa tour .

damn straight.:wink:

jick said:
Actually, virtually all the songs off that album, save for Stay were live disasters. Ever wonder why they never played any of them again in future tours except for Stay?

I disagree; I feel that Lemon, Stay, Daddy's Gonna Pay, and Dirty Day were all excellent.

Numb was cool, but nothing special; most of it is loops anyway.

Zooropa and Babyface did sound very bad live. I'm not sure what more work would/wouldn't have done for them.

I don't really think Zooropa has been avoided on other tours. I think when you get through all of the standard "hits" that they play every show (the Streets, WOWY, Pride, SBS, etc.) and the songs they have to play from whatever "new" album they are promoting, there isn't a whole lot of room left. I dare say we will only hear one or two ATYCLB songs played on the next tour (Probably BD and Walk On).

Though I would LOVE to hear more Zooropa songs live again, I doubt U2 will do it. But then, no one ever thought we'd hear The Fly live again and they sure suprised us during the Elevation tour.

Last edited:
i thought songs from zooropa did pretty well live

Zooropa - was ok i thought, didn't seem like a disaster. Would have been an interesting alternative to open the shows that Zoo Station, like how Acrobat was incorporated into the beginning for the OB rehersals.

Babyface - making a bad song sound good live is always pretty hard. It was too monotonous

Lemon - quality live, the segue into WOWY was perfect. You could feel it coming, Bono managed to get the falsetto notes on.

Numb - as with Babyface, bad album tracks are hard to get good live. An excuse to leave the room

Stay - one of the best acoustics they've done, sounds better live than in the studio. How at the end the whole stadium would be singing shows its effect

Daddy's Gonna Pay - beats Desire for macphisto's entrance, the song as with Dirty Day has a terrble album mix. Which is why not many care for it, but live it was funked up, the dressing room camera was a nice touch

Dirty Day - hence my name, this song is absolute rock when they played it live. Very underrated, the whole build up to the end, shows how New York was born for ATYCLB. This is my favourite U2 tune as they nailed it live, I wish they could bring it back

Its a shame the european leg of the zooropa tour didnt have the bounty of good tunes the aussies got. Because lemon, daddys gonna pay and dirty day are live classics.

The sydney show was pay per view because the band needed some extra revenue from the leg of the tour. tickets sold poorly in New Zealand and the second Melbourne show was half full. The pay per view event brought some extra money in, shipping ZooTV to the other side of the world must have cost a lot - Popmart would have been worse

Zoomerang was literally about 10 years ago to this time. They would have been playing melbourne 10 years and 1 day ago. Lol!

Zoocoustic said:
I dare say we will only hear one or two ATYCLB songs played on the next tour (Probably BD and Walk On).

i think three....BD , Walk On and elevation might come further down the setlist....maybe it could replace BTBS like on the elevation tour....

Back
Top Bottom