Zooropa tracks from ZooTV DVD...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cobl04

45:33
How did you guys feel about the performance of some of these songs from the Sydney DVD? There was Numb, Lemon, Stay, Daddy's Gonna Pay For Your Crashed Car and Dirty Day...I've been able to watch 'em all except for Dirty Day.

Personally I thought Numb was pretty good. Just to see Edge alone on the stage, going through the motions, the dead-pan delievery, and the extra noise that they gave it.

Lemon, well just not as good as the album version. If there's a better performance I'd love to hear it. Very good however with Edge and MacPhisto really swapping vocals. I love the start how MacPhisto just slowly puts down the phone after being hung up on by a taxi service.

Stay was good. I liked the opening 'This is a song Wim Wenders stole from the Beatles, we're stealing it back' and the camera flicks to Edge laughing. Much better than the acoustic Boston version, I have to say.

Daddy's Gonna Pay...for all of the praise that people gave this song live...I was pretty disappointed. IMHO the album version is a lot better. The ending was sweet, with MacPhisto screaming 'DADDY's Gonna Pay!!!!!!!!!!' but otherwise one of the not so great performances on that DVD.

your thoughts?

Dirty Day is one of the highlights of the entire show - when you see it you will find that the song takes on a whole new life from the album. In fact, I find the album version quite boring while the live version ROCKS!!!

Numb is good, I've always thought the extra effects with this version added something to the song that is necessary for a live performance.

Stay is a really great version of the song. You can tell by how the audience responds. Very nice and beats the pants off of the Elevation tour version (acoustic only).

Daddy's Gonna' Pay was perfect for MacPhisto. It's a hard song to pull off live, but they did it in probably the only way that it could ever work. I mean, can you even imagine Bono as himself trying to do this song live? I can't see anyone other than MacPhisto doing this one. Probably the weakest of the 5, but still a fun one to watch.

Lemon is really great. The crowd is not as "into" the song as they could have been, but that's because at the time it was newer and not as well known. Plus I think the majority of the crowd was trying to swallow the concept of MacPhisto. If you have a keen ear you can hear how Adam improves the bassline quite a bit over the album version. And I like the opera-style singing MacPhisto gives to the "Midnights".

Great performances all. But then Zooropa is my #2 album (behind AB).

On a side note, Zooropa, Babyface and a snippet of The First Time were also all played live on this tour. Though none of them really sounded too great. What you have on the Sydney video is all of the best live songs from the album.

Dirty Day, for me, is one of ZooTV's few worthwhile moments. The studio version pales incredibly in comparison.

Axver said:
Dirty Day, for me, is one of ZooTV's few worthwhile moments. The studio version pales incredibly in comparison.

:yes:

Its like Zooropa's UTEOTW. It sounds sooo much better live.

I liked all the Zooropa songs on the Sydney DVD better than the album version...then again, its pretty much that with Most U2 songs.

Stay - 2/10
Numb - 7/10
Lemon - 5/10
daddy's - 9-10
dirty day - 10/10

Lemon is really great. The crowd is not as "into" the song as they could have been, but that's because at the time it was newer and not as well known. Plus I think the majority of the crowd was trying to swallow the concept of MacPhisto. If you have a keen ear you can hear how Adam improves the bassline quite a bit over the album version. And I like the opera-style singing MacPhisto gives to the "Midnights".

Great performances all. But then Zooropa is my #2 album (behind AB).

I know what you're saying about Lemon and the rising "midnight" bit, that's among one of the huge highlights of the set for me, timelessly beautiful. Also although it's from Acthung Baby but i think Mcphisto's performance on Love is Blindness together with that agonising guitar riff of the edge is real hair up the back of the neck time. You can almost feel the heat of the australian night and insects all as one awesome whole part of the concert.

Stay- 7/10
Numb- 1.5/10
Dirty Day- 100/10 (my 2nd favorite part of the show)
Lemon-7.5/10
Daddy's-8.5/10

Would the MacPhisto charactor be lost on Aussie audiences?

Remember that Mr. mirrorball was in America and MacPhisto was Europe, then simply carried into the final Zoomerang tour leg

Daddy's 7/10
Dirty Day 7.5/10
Numb 7.5/10
Stay 8/10
Lemon 9/10

Lemon is fuckin fantastic , amazing duets by B/ E , great bassline , great energy really movin ..... It took well the job of substituin Ultra Violet

Mmm, I suppose it was a bit more about MacPhisto, and the depth of the character than the actual 'U2' performance of the song. Daddys I'm refereingh to.

Good to see people still pumped up about that er lemon performance, it still sounds so brilliant after all these years to my ears
I know i'm digressing again but Ultra Violet light, a song i love on record never sounds so good when i have heard it live but then i've only heard it a couple of times, anybody reccomend a gfood version or heard acrobat live?

gobshite said:
Good to see people still pumped up about that er lemon performance, it still sounds so brilliant after all these years to my ears

I know i'm digressing again but Ultra Violet light, a song i love on record never sounds so good when i have heard it live but then i've only heard it a couple of times, anybody reccomend a gfood version or heard acrobat live?

Acrobat was never full played , but it's on the rehearsal bootleg of OB

Try UV from Washington , or Stockholm or Dublin , and I'm sure u will find what u're lookin for

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I will take the Desire/Ultraviolet encore anyday over the limp Daddy's Gonna Pay and decent Lemon. The other Zooropa songs are all right though and deserved their slot on the setlist for the Zoomerang tour.

Me to Zooropa is like Axver to Achtung.

Dirty Day was great, despite being one of their worst album songs. Stay was also good, although I hate the sound of that guitar Bono uses, it was better in the Dublin version where he uses, I believe, an acoustic.

The other three were terrible on the album, no better live.

phillyfan26 said:
Me to Zooropa is like Axver to Achtung.

Dirty Day was great, despite being one of their worst album songs. Stay was also good, although I hate the sound of that guitar Bono uses, it was better in the Dublin version where he uses, I believe, an acoustic.

That's correct on Zooropa tour he played the acoustic as usual ZOOTV with his loved red gibson acoustic

U2FanPeter said:
Would the MacPhisto charactor be lost on Aussie audiences?

Remember that Mr. mirrorball was in America and MacPhisto was Europe, then simply carried into the final Zoomerang tour leg

I don't see why it would have been. Mirrorball Man was pretty localised to the US, taking the piss out of something very American, but MacPhisto is pretty universal - and certainly not just European.

They`re all an improvement over the album versions, outside of Stay and possibly Lemon. :drool:

Stay was fantastic and Dirty Day was great also.

As for the rest of them, I have a strong dislike for MacPhisto, so I've only seen that part once, and ever since I just pretend that the concert ended with Pride.

Lemon is brilliant and I love Stay

Dirty Day and Daddy's gonna pay are good tracks
I think U2 has better songs though that they could have played
still good performances

Numb ....... great album track
live: no

Lemon: 9 1/2 / 10
Stay: 9 / 10
Dirty Day: 7 1/2 / 10
Daddy's gonna pay: 7 / 10
Numb: 4 1/2 / 10

:up:

I think Numb worked great, i didnt expect it to fly but i think it did.

Back
Top Bottom