your favourite U2 tour

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Blue Room said:
So basically you are saying you liked Zoo better because they used technology for the first time and the album(s) they were supporting were better. Those are both true, but I dont think that has anything to do with the actual live performance which I was referring to. Its interesting, alot of the songs you refer to as being classics on the tour were either never played live or played seldom (IE Acrobat, So Cruel, Lemon, etc).

I agree that Popmart had a rough start musically (in fact I mentioned this in my posts). But I compare the shows at the ends of both tours. Look at the South American Popmart shows compared to the Australian Zooropa shows. The only cool thing about the Australian Zooropa shows for me was that they added some new songs. Otherwise it really looked like they were going through the motions at that point from the footage I have seen. Popmart on the other hand they looked like they were just on top of everything and kicking ass. Also, I have my own personal experience of 8 Zoo shows and 9 Popmart shows to compare. To me, Popmart was just better overall. I had more fun and the band seemed more accessable and laid back as they went along. Some of you will disagree and thats fine. I dont want it to look like I hate Zoo because thats not the case. I'am curious babyman, which Zoo and Popmart shows did you attend?

Its interesting also that the recent interview with Willie Williams he indicates that his favorite production was Popmart also.

they were european dates in germany, but i didn't attend so much shows like you did, so congrats, you're a big and faithful fan! you may have built yourself a better opinion in live shows!:) anyway, i've exposed the reasons why i like zoo better than popmart, it's not only about the tecnology and the better songs, basically because they started the popmart too soon, because they said the songs were unfinished, and bono himself said the first shows were disasters, they were musically not on the top with the pop songs, the show reached slower the top compared to zoo and then it didn't overtake zoo. on the whole, zoo tv was almost 2 years on the road, popmart neither a year. zoo tv was perfect since the first shows, and this allowed the band to produce even another album with a totally different style and sound to achtung baby,they brought the zooropa songs in the last legs of the tour, and songs like stay and dirty day were exceptional, like numb, daddy's gonna pay or lemon...during the popmart the band's main worry was to increase the pop album songs, (and the songs became better) so if you say that you may have needed 2-3 months more to complete the album, then work on the songs again, start the tour in july/august and popmart will be a legend in music history. anyway, this is my opinion with reference to my personal live shows experience,maybe you were better captured by popmart:) ;)

Fair enough, but I'am not implying I know more about it because of the number of shows I attended. I'am just saying that is what I based alot of my opinion on.

I'am not clear though, did you go to both Popmart and Zoo or just one or the other in Germany? What show or shows in Germany? Regarding Zoo starting out perfectly, not really. It wasnt as bad as Popmart musically. But listen to the Lakeland and Miami FL boots from the first two shows. Some of the Achtung Baby material was pretty rough at that stage.

Anyway, lets hope the next tour is all our favorites. I'am expecting big things.

Elevation was the best I went to

Unforgettable Fire Tour is the one I would have wanted to see

I only went to an Elevation show (Antwerp, first night), but I think Zoo TV must have been the best they ever did.

Peter said:
I only went to an Elevation show (Antwerp, first night), but I think Zoo TV must have been the best they ever did.

I was there too! It was maybe the best Elevation show I went to, musically speaking. A great night that was (with Bono bringing those two girls on stage and him singing a small bit of Two Shots Of Happy, One Shot Of Sad).

Ah, the memories...

:faint:

Marty

ZOO TV,
THE ultimate and most defining tour of all times

that was the time whe U2 was REALLY cooool

I've never been, but the ones I love to watch the most are PopMart. As far as going back in time, it'd be a toss-up between PopMart and Elevation.

Back
Top Bottom