Why is UTEOTW a more classic song than the fly?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

discotheque77

The Fly
I'm wondering: it looks like Until the end of the world became a more classic u2 song than the fly. UTEOTW they play at almost all concerts and every tour instead of the fly. The fly was the first single of AB and UTEOTW was never released as a single (not in europe). So what do you think? What is a more classic u2 song?
Until the end of the world or the fly?

The Fly. Although it is a hard decision.

actually, i think that because they didn't play The Fly as much as they played UTEOTW, I think that The Fly is a much more classic song. The arrangement of The Fly for the elevation tour isprobably the best live arrangement of any U2 song (next to Mysterious Ways and Bad)

Just because UTEOTW wasn’t a single and The Fly was it doesn't mean that it can't be a classic. I think people see UTEOTW as a classic because it has been played constantly in every tour since AB came out. The Fly hasn’t. But I think they're both classics. I like them both a lot but I prefer They Fly more.

I don't think Bad was ever a single, but nobody is going to say that song isn't a classic.

Because of the bibical reference...the ultimate battle between good and evil - God vs. Satan.

And because in concert it is blow your brain outf unbelievable....Bono being held up by concertgoers during the Zoo Tv tour, the bull and the matador moment with Bono and Edge during the Elevation tour, the guitar climax while Bono collapses to the ground....do I need to go on?....love, love The Fly but you can't get close to UTEOTW -- even the title itself....where do you go from there? From there it's on to Elysium.

The audience digs the Bono Edge duel in the concert versions, so it makes for great entertainment. But if you're talking about song quality, it's really not better than The Fly and is just a pretty average U2 song.

Cheers,

J

Last edited:
I'm not saying I like The Fly better, but does it bother anyone that UTEOTW has no chorus? I guess every song can't have one, but would it have made a great song even better?

The Fly, by comparison, has a great chorus with the high/low voices.

There's so much great guitar fireworks it's hard to pick one. But I'll tell ya, when they brought The Fly back on the last tour it was pretty damned cool.

I think the real question here is, does UTEOTW deserve to be on the "permanent" set list? I would argue no, as good as it has been for them. Perhaps after sitting out one tour it would make a nice comeback.

laz

The Fly,

It's dark, it rocks, and it knocked Bryan Adams off of the number one spot after fifteen flippin weeks in the UK..

this is such a tough pick 4 me, both in my top 10 all time u2 songs. Ill go with:
Album version - The Fly
Live version - UTEOTW

Tough choice,, I´d say the Fly... And IMO then the Elevation tour version sucked compared to zootv..

1. It's a better song

2. It's more thrilling because that's when Bono jumps into the audience :drool:

Westport said:
Because of the bibical reference...the ultimate battle between good and evil - God vs. Satan.

And because in concert it is blow your brain outf unbelievable....Bono being held up by concertgoers during the Zoo Tv tour, the bull and the matador moment with Bono and Edge during the Elevation tour, the guitar climax while Bono collapses to the ground....do I need to go on?....love, love The Fly but you can't get close to UTEOTW -- even the title itself....where do you go from there? From there it's on to Elysium.

add to the list the simulation of sex with the camera on zootv and your words are mine.
uteotw is the best rock n'roll song ever done

In my opinion The Fly mayby is a better song, but UTEOTW is more classic. The Fly was never performed during Popmart and it only maked to about half of Elevation shows or even less (am I right?). U2 must felt that other songs work better live than this one.

UTEOTW was played in EVERY gig since ZooTV (I don't count the non-tour shows). Also you can see that the band really like this song because you can see them enjoying playing it. My favourite performance is from 2001 Brit Awards.

Last edited:
The Fly for me easily it's my favorite song ever so easily in my book the riff and the lyrics and the solo:drool:

I think is just that U2 loves more UTEOTW than The fly, and me too:drool: Just look how they enjoy the performance of UTEOTW in every concert and it's on the Best 90-00 (in the U.S.)

I prefer the studio version of The Fly. And I prefer to see UTEOTW done live.

I think The Fly worked perfectly on Zoo TV, but it doesn't necessarily translate that well to the other tours. After all, the song was the foundation for the Fly character. And without him, performing the song live loses a lot of its charm, IMO.

Well I think The fly is far better song especially on the album. But I think UTEOTW may be more classic because they play it often Zootv / popmart and also elevation. I know for sure this song will come back on the next tour.
The only strange thing IMO is that the fly is not on the best of and UTEOTT is. But the fly was a big single at the time and UTEOTW wasn't. Live it may be better, but I still don't understand why the fly isn't on the best of. I think it's one of u2 better songs and the come back from the 80's!

I think if you really listen to both songs, back to back, The Fly is a better song. There is so much going on in The Fly, musicall and vocally, that it boggles my mind. If you are honest with yourself, you'd have to admit that The Fly is more "classic".

People choose UTEOTW because it's more accessable than The Fly.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion on any topic - but I feel adamant about this one.

PS - the Elevation Tour version of The Fly blew my mind.

Until the end of the world is becoming a LIVE classic, because of the moment it creates, the bullfight. the lights, the guitar, it's become a staple on a u2 show , just like streets. While the fly was much more dependant on the zootv concept, so that's why it didn't survive for much of the elevation tour. But the fly during elevation also kicked ass, because bono used to dive right into the audience and run out the other end of the arena. But the bullfight rocks.

End of the World is more than a song. Its an experience! As good as the Fly is, it doesn't measure up.

Its all about personal tastes really.

xaviMF22 said:
^^good point, but I prefer any zoo tv version of the fly over the elevation one.

No, no, no!

Look, ZooTV was brilliant, and almost every version of every song was superior on that tour to any other tours.

EXCEPT The Fly.

That song reached a whole new level on the Elevation tour.
Watch the Boston video again.

Back
Top Bottom