Why does U2 redo singles for the radio?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

randy5554

The Fly
Why does U2 often remix or redo a single for its radio release? Walk On on the album is perfect; why redo it? Why did they release that crappy Tomb Raider mix of Elevation instead of the nice album cut? Why redo Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses? It had the perfect Achtung Baby electric sound.

Don't people hear the song on the radio, and then get confused when they purchase the album, which will have a different version on it?

I dunno why, but I love the radio versions of WGRYWH and Walk On. I also love several of the Elevation remixes, as well as the OOTS video mix, as opposed to the album.

I've usually like more the single new versions (hate the radio edits versions), Wild Horses, IGWSHA, Please, Elevation, Walk On, All Because Of You, OOTS I think are stronger and usually resemble more the live versions

I don't like the Elevation album version, intro to slow, and the influx mix is brilliant, same goes for OOTS

They redo things because they're perfectionists...that's my only logical explanation. If they see something that can be changed/improved, they probably see no reason *not* to change it. :shrug:

They redo things for the radio to make them shorter otherwise the radio wont play the song. When was the last time you heard All I Want Is You on the radio. You really dont because its way too long to fit into their playlist.

Yahweh said:
They redo things for the radio to make them shorter otherwise the radio wont play the song. When was the last time you heard All I Want Is You on the radio. You really dont because its way too long to fit into their playlist.

Actually, just the other day. There is the "radio edit" version. :wink:

ps- give me a bit, I'll email you today.

IMO, the Single Versions have been better, improved.

See Walk On, Original of The Species, ABOY, WGRYWH, IGWSHA, etc...

I love the acoustic Stuck. I would of never really liked this song at all if this acoustic version never came out. Also, Last Night On Earth single version is an incredible take.

Trying to get a different take on the song. I like both WGRYWH versions, and I think ABOY and Please are better than album versions.

Otherwise, I don't consider single versions better.

Back
Top Bottom