Who's gonna ride your wild horses ruins actung

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jdelbove

Acrobat
the song is mediocre and just simply doesnt fit with the rest of the album. i understand they were trying to put a single on the album but the song is just week compaired to the rest of the material. It is amazing however despite the week song actung baby is still their best album as the other material is so strong

In my opinion it is a great song, great feeling in it. I like the sound when Bono sing "turn around", very harmonic and then the High C :drool:

Peterrrrr, what's your favorite flavor of Hi-C?

I've always loved Ecto Cooler and Tropical Punch.

1.jpg

It is probably my least favorite song on AB, but I've learned to accept it over the years. I agree with the premise that it "doesn't fit" to some extent; that's exactly how it struck me when AB came out.

It really is a pretty by-the-numbers U2 anthem that has been obfuscated with some noisy production. And the band has admitted that it never came together exactly right.

But, yeah, that bridge is amazing. Doesn't one of the single edits just chop that bridge out? That was a travesty.

Love the song. Album probably fits in the middle along my spectrum of fave-not fave. Least favorite Bono era vocally (yeah I'm sure I'm in a minority there), but still love that song and it's been steadily growing on me.

I couldn't disagree more...

Great song, one of the best bridges they've written.

troo dat! gorgeous bridge, and an absolutely stunning song. Was going to busk with it the other day but felt ashamed even CONTEMPLATING it haha

This is my favorite song though only the Temple Bar remix with the acoustic guitar and piano. The album version sounds unfinished. It certainly doesn't ruin the album.

Well, the band struggled with that song when making the album feeling that it was U2 paint-by-numbers and before they tweaked it felt it sounded too much like the U2 they were trying to bury at that point. But in the end I think it fits into the album thematically.

And the bridge is just killer.

Love the song. Album probably fits in the middle along my spectrum of fave-not fave. Least favorite Bono era vocally (yeah I'm sure I'm in a minority there), but still love that song and it's been steadily growing on me.

I have never heard or read anyone say that about Bono's vocals before, but each to their own. I would say from POP onwards his voice has gone downhill, although it has improved in recent years and on HTDAAB. On recent albums his voice has sounded raspy, crackly and even tired and slightly worn out at times i.e. All Because Of You and Beautfiul Day are two examples.

I have to totally disagree that Wild Horses was the weakest tune on AB, it's probably one of my favourite songs they have done. There are are other contenders pn that album that are weaker like Tryin To Throw Your Arms Around The World, So Cruel and Acrobat (even though it has a cult following on here).

I would rather listen to that song than the majority of ATYCLB and HTDAAB and it was also received really well on the Vertigo tour, I even saw one guy crying in front of me when they were playing it...

Horses

I love the song. Great, great song.

The only thing I can say with respect to the original post is that I have always felt it is the most "out-of-place" song on the album. With that said it is still a great song that still fits the album but just has less of a Euro-esque feeling than the rest on the songs.

if you had said even better than the real thing instead of wgrywh i would have a been with you. that was the blatant attempt at a radio hit on achtung baby.

wgrywh, is a great u2 song. the version from the first show of zootv (2.29.02), had one of the edge's best guitar solos. that version is one of my favorite live versions of any u2 song.

It doesn't really strike me as out of place, maybe because when the album was released, the whole thing seemed out of place to me lol...the change in direction from JT/R&H era really took me a long time to adjust to. To this day, AB isn't my favourite album and although I do now love some songs from it, this is probably one of the weaker songs on it for me...although, I think as other as have mentioned, the bridge really does kick arse and it's probably the one part of the song that kept me listening.

Mediocre song....though I wouldn't say it ruins Achtung Baby, I just always skip over it when I listen to that album.

It's an overrated song, but that's not what ruins Achtung. Bad production ruins Achtung.

I love the dissonance with the guitar in one ear and the violin in the other. Perhaps they dirtied this up to fit on AB, but I think it sounds great. Was my favorite when I bought the album, and still love it.

The Temple Bar version is a fucking abomination, and the acoustic live versions are equally bad, draining the song of its haunting quality. The show from Amsterdam on Vertigo shows you how much this song could kill live if they did it right. Edge's electric guitar work=brillance.

To be honest, I've always felt that this song is mere inches away from Bon Jovi-style cheese. "Baby can we still be friends" line almost bridges that gap altogether.

Not that I have anything against Bon Jovi, and there are other U2 songs I love despite their flirtations with cheese. It's probably more that to me this particular song sticks out like a sore thumb compared to the rest of AB, and it's a pretty average song as well.

To be honest, I've always felt that this song is mere inches away from Bon Jovi-style cheese. "Baby can we still be friends" line almost bridges that gap altogether.

Not that I have anything against Bon Jovi, and there are other U2 songs I love despite their flirtations with cheese. It's probably more that to me this particular song sticks out like a sore thumb compared to the rest of AB, and it's a pretty average song as well.

That like may be kind of cheesy but "Hellelujah, heaven's white rose, the doors you open I just can't close.." more than make up for it.

Back
Top Bottom