Whoa! 4 extremely critical HTDAAB reviews!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Phalanx said:
Let's not forget some of these guys are musicians, and therefore, inherently picky about anything. I should know, I am a musician too. :|

Thats true...I can't stand it when self-proclaimed "musical experts" feel they have to let everyone see their vast "knowledge" in reviews. Like I said before, too much over-analysis.

blindbilly said:
btw, i would say it's wrong to assume all 4 reviewers might be have been
just disappointed as they waited for this day that long in advance. in fact
the "go" for the pre-listening-event came for them within 48 hours before
the event startet. so their reviews should be seen as spontaneous reviews
from the first listening from long time u2-fans. besides "vertigone"
spoke about "who this guy is, who gave it just 3 out of 10". this guy is
running the well reputated website about u2's sound and equipment (see
u2sound.com). he is respected in the worldwide community for his musical
knowledge since years. so he is surely not "just one jerk" which was taken
out of the masses to send him there.

Average his individual song ratings with his final overall rating and there is a gap. It looks like he wants attention. Unfortunately, due to the apparent inconsistencies that abound between various Interscope/Universal labels between countries, a fan such as himself was able to hear the record before almost every other fan on the planet for no valid reason, instead of countless others that could have easily been in his place. He may know his sound and equipment, but that doesn't mean he knows "music" or is an eloquent writer as witnessed by his description of OOTS. I would care much less about this review if their were others given the opportunity to listen to the album and write their own review in other countries beyond Portugal, Germany and the Netherlands (i.e. the US anyone????). This leeway from the label that seems to be occurring is what is bugging me.

blindbilly said:
then u should probably approach interscope...

The album is out in 19 days, it's not worth it. That being said, i think they are dropping the ball on this.

Sleep Over Jack said:

Thats true...I can't stand it when self-proclaimed "musical experts" feel they have to let everyone see their vast "knowledge" in reviews. Like I said before, too much over-analysis.

Exactly. Want to know what they do? They don't immerse themselves in the songs. They remain very stoic and wait impatiently to find things they dislike.

I agree..its frustrating to read a review of this album through a person like that, so cynical and jaded.

Hey, Blindbilly! The more I thought about your review, the more I am appreciating it. This is realism folks. It seems like most reviewers don't remember much about A Man and a Woman. Is this because it really isn't memorable? NME called Crumbs the track that was weakest and could have been a B-side. But you believe A Man and a Woman is that track?

as said in my overall impressions bit: tracks 6 to 8 disturb me a bit in my overall positive (and yes realistic) feeling. a man and a woman is - in my opinion - the song that actually bored me. could easily have been a b-side and wouldn`t have bothered anyone.

for me the bomb is taking bits of atyclb and turns them into innovative rock. sometimes the band lost it a bit and is not taking their ideas far enough. but the general 'feeling' (at least soundwise) is more AB-Zooropa-Pop.

Hey billy, would you say this album would be better or worse than ATYCLB? Just wondering because ATYCLB is my favorite but alot of the reviews it got weren't too positive either. For me it's just a matter of taste what I'll like really.

So what do you think?

Last edited:
blindbilly said:
for me the bomb is taking bits of atyclb and turns them into innovative rock. sometimes the band lost it a bit and is not taking their ideas far enough. but the general 'feeling' (at least soundwise) is more AB-Zooropa-Pop.

Thanks for your answer Blindbilly! Danke!

And thank God it has the overall feeling of those albums!

Blidbilly, have you ever visited Hansa and took some pics? I'm crazy to go there someday... Low, Heroes and AB took form there... it must be really magical!

shart1780 said:
Hey billy, would you say this album would be better or worse than ATYCLB? Just wondering because ATYCLB is my favorite but alot of the reviews it got weren't too positive either. For me it's just a matter of taste what I'll like really.

So what do you think?

hmmm, thats hard. ATYCLB wasn`t my favourite (I prefered a lot of the live-versions to the studio ones...), so I think I will like HTDAAB better

U2_Guy said:

Thanks for your answer Blindbilly! Danke!

And thank God it has the overall feeling of those albums!

Blidbilly, have you ever visited Hansa and took some pics? I'm crazy to go there someday... Low, Heroes and AB took form there... it must be really magical!

its not much left of it, 'just' the big ballroom which has a great feeling about it. I`ve been there a couple of times and I liked it :)

blindbilly said:

hmmm, thats hard. ATYCLB wasn`t my favourite (I prefered a lot of the live-versions to the studio ones...), so I think I will like HTDAAB better

Ahaa... even though it's not your favorite it still has a large chance of being mine. Different tastes rule baby!!! And so will this album (hopefully). I can't wait!!

The fact that u2tour.de distances itself from the reviews, saying that it isn't necessarily their opinion, says enough for me...

Peter said:
The fact that u2tour.de distances itself from the reviews, saying that it isn't necessarily their opinion, says enough for me...

You mean it says that the reviewers have their own opinions and they aren't necessarily the opinions of the website? No shit!

They have to do that because morons are probably emailing them and bitching and whining at them because they're not "true U2 fans" and "you are trying to destroy my favourite band by giving your bad opinion, how dare you, I'm going to blow up your car!" and shit like that. yeesh.

I love these reviews personally. All the incessent fawning was getting repugnant

upon first listen of the album, people on the forum will react this way:

50% will say it is the greatest album in the history of the world.
30% will say it is a really good album, but not up to par with AB and JT.
10% will be dissappointed, but will try to like it with repeasted listens.
5% will not like it all, claiming that u2 should retire.
4% will be indifferent, and wait for Coldplay's new album.
1% will claim it is total crap.

purpleblackeye said:

spot on!

SkeeK said:

You mean it says that the reviewers have their own opinions and they aren't necessarily the opinions of the website? No shit!

They have to do that because morons are probably emailing them and bitching and whining at them because they're not "true U2 fans" and "you are trying to destroy my favourite band by giving your bad opinion, how dare you, I'm going to blow up your car!" and shit like that. yeesh.

indeed, shall I quote from one?

subject: mf fuck you

nuff said?

Reviews are a strange thing - music journo's providing reviews tend to be a bit more subjective and taken from a neutral point of view, rather than from a die-hard fan who to a certain extent has already made up their mind what they want to hear before they actually listen to the record.

With that in mind, it is strange that most journalists (am trying not to use the word professional!) reviewers have been very positive about the new album. It just doesn't compute that someone could possibly give it a 3/10 mark unless they had already predetermined what they wanted to hear. If the music didnt stack up, then negative review.
Of course, it could be that most music journalists who have given the album a great review could be wrong. However, I would be more inclined to believe their reviews rather than a fans review which has the potential to go to extremes and is not truly reflective.

not sure if that makes sense!

purpleblackeye said:

You mean Jick counts for 1% of interference? :wink:

blindbilly said:

nuff said?

I really hope you're kidding. Whoever sends the reviewers or the website hate mail really needs to get a life and grow up.

ramblin rose said:

I really hope you're kidding. Whoever sends the reviewers or the website hate mail really needs to get a life and grow up.

unfortunately thats the truth - I`m not kidding

Peter said:

U2tour.de does not distance itself from the reviews. In fact 2 of them are written by u2tour.de-members, 2 of them by long-time friends of u2tour.de.

But the reviews are the personal opinion of the reviewers. And they are opinions based on 1 time listening to the entire album.

If they have the oppoturity to make a review, they should! Or they can say "Hey, we've heard the album, we don't care about you!"?! But they don't.
They gave their impressions on the album - impressions from long-time fans with 10++ concerts, one of them 100++

So they know what they are talking about.
If everyone of them gave 10 out of 10, would this be helpful to you?

You can't write a good review after one listen. You can write about firts impressions but not a complet review(and they even gave the songs a grade, hilarious). You have to agree with me on that. Maybe Blindbilly is a genius and I am a complet idiot but I can't even remember 50% of a record I just listened to for the first time. You sit down with a cup of coffee and listen to the record twice and the next morning you listen again and again and maybe then you can give an honest opinion if a record is any good or if u2 ran out of ideas and just fucked it up. I don't mind if you like it or not because that is totally subjective but don't make a review out of first impressions. Germany: zero point.

blindbilly said:

nuff said?

Hey! That's my mail. That was private! Just KIDDING! :wink:

But I'm wondering. Have the reviewers compared the album to other bands and their albums, or have they compared the album to U2's previous work? In the last case - this album must be GREAT!

Last edited:
purpleblackeye said:

I'll most likely be in the 10% range. U2's albums are becoming increasingly more difficult to swallow with each release (which is a good thing, imo) :drunk:

Back
Top Bottom