What we DON'T need to happen in the US from this tragedy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gina Marie

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
From the Boston Globe-9/13

"Malika Bey is a blond-haired, blue-eyed Irish American, but when she pulled her minivan in to her neighborhood gas station yesterday, all the man in the car in front of her saw was the scarf wrapped around her head.

"Are you happy with what happened yesterday?" he yelled as he jumped out of his station wagon. "You should all be killed."

Bey, a 36-year old mother of four, stepped out of her car, gave the man a lecture about Islam's commitment to peace, asked him if he supported the violence in Northern Ireland, and reminded him that the Allah worshiped by Muslims is the God worshiped by Christians.

The two shook hands, but Bey, who changed her name when she converted to Islam, was shaken."

This kind of stuff is indefensible, in my opinion, and it's contrary to EVERY principle this country was founded upon.

We need to remember this, as angry and shocked as we are. And if we see people doing these things, we need to try to set it, and them, right.

[This message has been edited by Gina Marie (edited 09-13-2001).]

Originally posted by Gina Marie:
From the Boston Globe-9/13

"Malika Ray is a blond-haired, blue-eyed Irish American, but when she pulled her minivan in to her neighborhood gas station yesterday, all the man in the car in front of her saw was the scarf wrapped around her head.

"Are you happy with what happened yesterday?" he yelled as he jumped out of his station wagon. "You should all be killed."

Bey, a 36-year old mother of four, stepped out of her car, gave the man a lecture about Islam's commitment to peace, asked him if he supported the violence in Northern Ireland, and reminded him that the Allah worshiped by Muslims is the God worshiped by Christians.

The two shook hands, but Bey, who changed her name whyen she converted to Islam, was shaken."

This story doesn't make much sense. First we are talking about a woman named Ray, then a woman named Bey. If she changed her name, then it should have been pointed out in the first paragraph, because as I read through this story, I'm not sure if the two are one in the same.

However, the point stands nonetheless. As far as I'm concerned, anyone here is American. Should we hate all Italians due to a mafia-related death? Should we hate all blacks because of a drive-by shooting? And should one even associate Italy with the mafia or black people with drive-by shootings?!?! Stereotyping is just as bad as prejudice.

The gas station I regularly go to is owned by what appears to be a middle-eastern family. I could be wrong though as I never asked their heritage. However, if I make this assumption, so may others. I only hope that no one hurts them simply because they assume they are from the Middle East. The main owner is a person probably around my age (may be even younger) who, despite my limited interactions with him and despite his numerous customers, always shakes my hand when I'm there and calls me by my first name. So please, don't associate a race or religion with this disaster.

I know where you are coming from Gina...we had an incident in San Antonio Texas last night. Some NUT vandalized a restaurant that serves MiddleEastern food. I have read of similar incidents of innocent ppl being beaten or threatened with vehicles. I feel for and pray that we as Americans will let our government handle the situation on our behalf. Street mobs terrorizing fellow Americans should not be tolerated at any level.

Ah, it was just typos. No problem then. Usually the press is really bad at the facts, so I was attacking them, not you.
smile.gif

Originally posted by doctorwho:
Ah, it was just typos. No problem then. Usually the press is really bad at the facts, so I was attacking them, not you.
smile.gif

Oh-that's OK-I knew that-terrible typist I am.

No one but you seems interested in it anyway!

Back
Top Bottom