Well, we have the lyrics...What's your favorite?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hoodlem

War Child
Let's hear what everyone's favorite songs are from htdaab just going by the lyrics.

For me there are lots of highlights but what I love the most is there seems to be a constant theme of repentance and being 'born again'. It very much is a journey from doubt to faith as Bono said. What's great is that we are caught right in the middle of this change. ATYCLB seems to me to have been the voice of a man who had already been through that process and was now attempting to help others ("walk On", "Stuck"). This Album is seems to be the voice of someone who has just realized that there is a better way and is now extremely humble and asking for help to find it.

It is as if HTDAAB's character is the person being spoken to in "Stuck in a Moment" and throughout ATYCLB. It's like Bono had all the answers in 2000 but now in 2004 he has reevaluated (since his fathers death) and has found that he needs to find the answers all over again. I am very excited because this should make for a better record. It has certainly made for better lyrics. Much more personal and heartfelt. If the music is on par with the lyrics (which so far it seems to be) this icould be an outstanding piece of work. The magic that (I feel) was lost in ATYCLB may have been recaptured.

Wow, this turned out longer than I expected, so anyway
lets hear your thoughts and favorite lyrics.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't know how in the world people can attribute so much value to the lyrics.

If the tune is great AND the lyrics are great, you've got an alltimer (see so Cruel). If the lyrics are great but the tune is mediocre, it will be promptly forgotten.

I think lyrics are overrated anyway. That's just me, which is odd for a lefthander. I thought we were supposed to be the natural lyrics fans.

Lyrics are not the most important thing but they can make or break a musically average song. They can destroy an otherwise decent song or can make a musically boring song interesting.

There are moments when I am listenning to ATYCLB when because of the lyrics alone I wince and hope no one is listenning because it is almost embarassing. This is not the way I want to feel when listenning to U2.

Of course the Ideal is to have music that blows your mind and lyrics that say something that is funny, pleasant, interesting, clever or makes you think alot. UTEOTW is a great example. It sounds great and it means something.

Lyrics are very important to me. I'm a big 'words' person, I have to say.

Having read through them all, I'm very excited :hyper:

As for choosing a favourite song... nuh uh, no can do!

Last edited:
Damn, the 2 songs I was looking forward to hearing the least (A Man and a Woman and Crumbs from your Table) have the best lyrics of the bunch so far to me. Go Figure!!

Headache in a Suitcase said:
i just scanned through all of 'em, with the exception of the songs we've heard... i.e. Vertigo, city of blinding lights, all because of you.

i'm not interested in learning the lyrics before i hear the song... makes no sense to me :shrug:

best thing I've heard today.....agreed......

I haven't even read the lyrics yet. I like to listen to a song first to get the musical feel for it before I go analysing the lyrics.

City of Blinding Lights, A Man and a Woman, Original of the Species, and Yahweh.

They're all brilliant though. And I'm sure they'll be even stronger with the music... I mean, sure One has beautifully profound lyrics, but the music makes the song. If the music wasn't so heartwrenchingly beautiful then the song wouldn't be as great no matter how fantastic the lyrics.

I'd have to say I love them all, right now maybe Original of the Species, just because I have a minute to go with the lyrics. These lyrics are great, and lyrics make 1/2 the song, but Headache was right when he said music is important to listen to before you really can break down the lyrics. But that being said, great lyrics!!! I really want to hear "Fast Cars" because of that mexican/spanish vibe the song has, the lyrics seem to fit perfectly with that description

Back
Top Bottom