Very exciting! (Just thought I'd share)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
"Miracle Drug" is a good idea :).

That's awesome that you're getting this fixed :hug:. That's one thing I never want to lose, be it completely or nearly...my hearing. Life without hearing music properly or not hearing it at all would be very sad for me :(.

Enjoy hearing that music :D!

Angela

The Bad/40/Streets combo from the Boston Elevation DVD ! You'll be blown away. Or maybe Miracle Drug because it is a miracle how technology can allow you to hear things clearer.

What an awesome story! :)

I'd definitely go with The Joshua Tree straight through, and then the whole The Unforgettable Fire. Both are incredibly atmospheric and you'll probably find yourself exposed to all kinds of delicate elements of the music you may not be able to hear now. I'm just curious how a soft and minimal song from UF like 4th Of July or MLK sounds to you at the moment? Is your hearing good enough that you hear at least hear something?

(And after those two eighties albums, treat yourself to some nineties goodness in the form of Zooropa's extended intro!)

What a cool story! This should be submitted to U2.com because I think it's amazing that among the first things you'd like to hear clearly is a U2 song. I bet the band would be very touched by this.

The song I'd recommend is Yahweh. As another poster said, give credit where credit is due. But also for the line "always dark before the dawn."

Hey, Mandie, Congratulations! That's a great story!! Can't wait to see what you got to say about this in a couple of months!!! :applaud:

Song: Miracle Drug. I mean the title says it all. It's a beautiful song, very powerfull and.... well, great! Other great options would be: Beautiful Day, Where The Streets Have No Name, The Electric Co., Hawkmoon 269, Zoo Station, I Will Follow (why not start from the beginning? :wink: ), Mysterious Ways and New Year's Day.

Have a great time!!!! You deserve it! :)

I would wear ear plugs at the concert.

I did have hearing loss from a u2 concert in 2001. I couldn't hear for about 7 minutes after the concert and now I can't hear some tones. I do believe it was from where I was sitting. Must have been near speakers or the building accoustics were harsh.
Use protection! LOL
Ps Miracle Drug gets my vote. It's beautiful!

Last edited:
MandyMarie said:

I somehow missed your post. Did this kid have the cochlear implant? That one is a bit different from mine, but it'll be pretty much the same with the adjustment period you mentioned. They said something about tweaking the device bit by bit by that my brain isn't overloaded by all the new sounds at once. As far as not liking how loud it can be, at least I can turn the device off when I am overwhelmed (or turn it off when my husband is nagging!). :wink:

That's exactly what he had. Cool so at least you kind of know what to expect at first. It's good the can tweak it to slowly phase you inot the osund making the adjustment a bit easier.

Axver said:
What an awesome story! :)

I'd definitely go with The Joshua Tree straight through, and then the whole The Unforgettable Fire. Both are incredibly atmospheric and you'll probably find yourself exposed to all kinds of delicate elements of the music you may not be able to hear now. I'm just curious how a soft and minimal song from UF like 4th Of July or MLK sounds to you at the moment? Is your hearing good enough that you hear at least hear something?

(And after those two eighties albums, treat yourself to some nineties goodness in the form of Zooropa's extended intro!)

Well, pretty much any of the songs I can hear comfortably (except the Fly), just at a bit louder volume than you would. The thing is, no matter how loud the sound is, I will never understand the words unless I know them by heart. Volume only amplifies, not clarifies. I've gone years and years listening to a "favorite song" without knowing any of the words.

If we were face to face, I could hear your voice ok, I would just have to read your lips in oder to *understand* what you say. Am I making any sense? LOL

Snowlock said:
What a cool story! This should be submitted to U2.com because I think it's amazing that among the first things you'd like to hear clearly is a U2 song. I bet the band would be very touched by this.

The song I'd recommend is Yahweh. As another poster said, give credit where credit is due. But also for the line "always dark before the dawn."

I'm not a member yet, but feel free to share if you'd like. :) Yahweh is currently on my replay list, LOL.

Val said:
I would wear ear plugs at the concert.

I did have hearing loss from a u2 concert in 2001. I couldn't hear for about 7 minutes after the concert and now I can't hear some tones. I do believe it was from where I was sitting. Must have been near speakers or the building accoustics were harsh.
Use protection! LOL
Ps Miracle Drug gets my vote. It's beautiful!

Yes, my doctor is just gonna be thrilled with me when I tell him I want to be activated in time to treat my delicate ears to an insanely loud concert, huh?? I will definitely be shopping for my first pair of ear plugs.

And thanks so much guys!! I am glad you guys are sharing my excitement and I will definitely post about my experiences! I'll be taking a journal, and they will also be videotaping my activation. Since this is a brand new procedure, those of us who are patients have heard rumors that some of us will make an appearance on Oprah, though I don't know how much truth there is to that. If I should be so lucky, I would definitely share the experience. :)

Okay where I am not going to give you a song, no one usually agrees with my taste in U2 songs, I will tell you my daughter was born with a progressive hearing loss and got a Cochlear Implant three years ago. She is now 6 and absolutely LOVES music. She now can hear a song on the radio and know it is Bono singing. It is a miracle piece of technology and I wish you all the luck in the world. :hug:

youtwohearts said:
Okay where I am not going to give you a song, no one usually agrees with my taste in U2 songs, I will tell you my daughter was born with a progressive hearing loss and got a Cochlear Implant three years ago. She is now 6 and absolutely LOVES music. She now can hear a song on the radio and know it is Bono singing. It is a miracle piece of technology and I wish you all the luck in the world. :hug:

Thanks for sharing! Can you describe what it was like for her when she was first activated? How did she react to the sounds around her?

You can visit www.envoymedical.com if you're curious. The Envoy is similar to the cochlear implant. Mine will be completely invisible, under the skin, and I will have a remote to change programs or turn the device off. Yes, a remote! I can just see my kids hiding behind the couch pressing buttons while I wonder why my head is going haywire! One month to go!! :huh: :)

:hmm: i should have had something that could have turned off my parents hearing when i was little....

PS i would not mention the remote to your kids.....the devil makes work for idle thumbs:p

Bet of luck once again with everything:hug:

Back
Top Bottom