U2's weakest live moments ...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vincent Vega said:
Thinking about how many people in this forum think the torture and other things happening in Guantanamo or Abu Ghraib, and in the secret prisons is good, or at least acceptable, and how many people just throw all Muslims in one big pot and say they are preaching terror, and this is people from all countries, I think his coexist section is justified.

It's political songs, and U2 concerts are always political to some extent. I think criticising that is a bit off the point.

If Bono could have gotten the message though differently? Sure, there are always alternatives. But they created this, and I think it was received positively by the majority.
It would have been odd if they did this only in the US, because people would probably have complained about the stereotyping of Americans, rightfully.

At what point did anybody say they approved of torture or threw muslims in one big pot???
That is disgraceful for you to say.

Given the latest terrible terror attacks in Northern Africa, I think the Coexist-message is needed more than ever. You could agrue about the way they are doing it, alright, but not about the message and the fact that it should have a place in a U2 concert.

last unicorn said:
Given the latest terrible terror attacks in Northern Africa, I think the Coexist-message is needed more than ever. You could agrue about the way they are doing it, alright, but not about the message and the fact that it should have a place in a U2 concert.

I didn't put myself across to well yesterday, I'd agree with your post.

JulioArca said:

Agree Gav, if they gonna play anything acoustic, at least include the whole band like Stay from Dublin/Sydney 93 etc.

what accoustic stay from Dublin 93??? that was played Electric, full band!

An Cat Gav said:

I just think that Bono wearing a blindfold is completely pointless and rubbish compared to their previous efforts, eg the Sarajevo broadcasts, which were truly groundbreaking and did make a difference in people's lives.

Wearing the white flag, playing CoH tour, blasting Reagan on JT tour (bordering on self-importance though), asking Pinochet to reveal the whereabouts of the kidnapped people, asking people to "call their senator/congressman" on the last tour (where were all the "Bono shouldn't be so much into US politics" people then?) and now to give their voice to the One campaign are all better than the excruciating, self-important broadcasts. Make a press conference about it with Bill Carter or play the place if you really want to make people notice.

Shorter "Father Abraham" bit and the POW routine in Bullet aside (and the US troops dedication right afterwards), the War trilogy was one of the strongest parts of the setlist.

Last edited:
U2girl said:

Shorter "Father Abraham" bit and the POW routine in Bullet aside (and the US troops dedication right afterwards), the War trilogy was one of the strongest parts of the setlist.

Rock The Casbah suited the war section perfectly, and it limited the Father Abraham bit. It probably should have been done that way all tour.

Speaking of which, the Father Abraham bit, as well as Johnny Comes Marching Home/Hands That Built America was actually haunting. The last part of Bullet would not have worked so well in Vertigo context.

And again, acoustic = good.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Europeans don't like to coexist? I'm not understanding your point.

I'm not suggesting that Europeans don't like to coexist, nor that the segment's message is unworthy, it's just a bit simplistic. Regarding the comparison between Europe and America, I was really emphasising the difference between the audiences. It's not a vast one, but there are certainly social differences between the two continents. Things that might work politically or have a resonance with European audiences, for example, might not work as well in the US, and vice versa. It's not a criticism of either grouping, just something that I've heard suggested and in which I think there is something to at least merit some discussion.

An Cat Gav said:

Not sure, but I think he's trying to say that maybe we don't all need to be spoon fed this groundbreaking piece of information by Bono. Wow, if only someone had thought of this before?? World peace?? Let's just co-exist!!
However I'm sure American's are just as able as we are at working this out.
It just seemed very cringeworthy and patronising to me. And I'm a man who sat was present at all but one of the Sarajevo broadcasts. Believe me they were all awkward but I backed the band 100%. The co-exist stuff was far more painful for me to sit through in comparison.

I think that the crux of this issue is the difference between being beaten over the head with a message that's overly idealistic and simple and being drawn into a world that is full of contradictions, where it's far more difficult to get a grasp on the central important issues. Please is a perfect example of this. Although the message of the song 'Love is hard and love is tough' centrally addresses the idea that the North should move on from its previous differences, the writing recognises the central difficulties in actually achieving this progression. This is what made the Sarajevo segments work so much better than the co-exist segment; on the Sarajevo segments you got the warts-and-all side of the conflict. Particularly important in this respect was the person who asked what good the broadcasts were and what they were actually achieving. It's this kind of nuance that I think was missing from something like the co-exist segment, and at times from Sunday Bloody Sunday and the modern version of Bullet the Blue Sky as a whole (again a song which worked excellently in its original format because of the images that Bono used to portray the central American context).

In other words, what works for some doesn't work for others and I think that for me, and it seems for several other people, the co-exist and human rights segments just didn't work.

Phew!

PookaMacP said:

I'm not suggesting that Europeans don't like to coexist, nor that the segment's message is unworthy, it's just a bit simplistic. Regarding the comparison between Europe and America, I was really emphasising the difference between the audiences. It's not a vast one, but there are certainly social differences between the two continents. Things that might work politically or have a resonance with European audiences, for example, might not work as well in the US, and vice versa. It's not a criticism of either grouping, just something that I've heard suggested and in which I think there is something to at least merit some discussion.

I think that the crux of this issue is the difference between being beaten over the head with a message that's overly idealistic and simple and being drawn into a world that is full of contradictions, where it's far more difficult to get a grasp on the central important issues. Please is a perfect example of this. Although the message of the song 'Love is hard and love is tough' centrally addresses the idea that the North should move on from its previous differences, the writing recognises the central difficulties in actually achieving this progression. This is what made the Sarajevo segments work so much better than the co-exist segment; on the Sarajevo segments you got the warts-and-all side of the conflict. Particularly important in this respect was the person who asked what good the broadcasts were and what they were actually achieving. It's this kind of nuance that I think was missing from something like the co-exist segment, and at times from Sunday Bloody Sunday and the modern version of Bullet the Blue Sky as a whole (again a song which worked excellently in its original format because of the images that Bono used to portray the central American context).

In other words, what works for some doesn't work for others and I think that for me, and it seems for several other people, the co-exist and human rights segments just didn't work.

Phew!

You put it much better than I could manage yesterday!!:wink: :up:

An Cat Gav said:

At what point did anybody say they approved of torture or threw muslims in one big pot???
That is disgraceful for you to say.

Go to FYM and look up some threads.

That's also Interference.

PookaMacP said:

I think that the crux of this issue is the difference between being beaten over the head with a message that's overly idealistic and simple and being drawn into a world that is full of contradictions, where it's far more difficult to get a grasp on the central important issues. Please is a perfect example of this. Although the message of the song 'Love is hard and love is tough' centrally addresses the idea that the North should move on from its previous differences, the writing recognises the central difficulties in actually achieving this progression. This is what made the Sarajevo segments work so much better than the co-exist segment; on the Sarajevo segments you got the warts-and-all side of the conflict. Particularly important in this respect was the person who asked what good the broadcasts were and what they were actually achieving.

"Please...get up off your knees" isn't a simple and idealistic view? Many of U2's tours "beat over the head" with their message.

That was a very good and valid question about the broadcast and it suitably left the band - and Bono in particular - speechless.

Galeongirl said:

what accoustic stay from Dublin 93??? that was played Electric, full band!

Well both Edge an Bono played acoustic guitars, see ZOO TV Sydney, while Adam played electric bass, so I guess we're both right;)

My point though, this version is so much better than the Elevation version with only Edge/Bono on acoustic guitars.

weakest live moments for me:
1. the performance on the Superbowl - I just hated the flag thing - embarassing.
2. the flag-thing nearly during the whole vertigo tour with City of blinding lights - most idiotic moment: the beginning in Hawaii.
3. dedicating a song to troops during Running to stand still on the Chicago DVD

Bonos outfit during SBS on the Vertigo tour ruined the song for me completely. Rambo-Peace-Bono with sunglasses...:huh:

perrypickwick said:
weakest live moments for me:
1. the performance on the Superbowl - I just hated the flag thing - embarassing.
2. the flag-thing nearly during the whole vertigo tour with City of blinding lights - most idiotic moment: the beginning in Hawaii.
3. dedicating a song to troops during Running to stand still on the Chicago DVD

Bonos outfit during SBS on the Vertigo tour ruined the song for me completely. Rambo-Peace-Bono with sunglasses...:huh:
yes because :

number 1: he has never waved a flag at a show before
number 2: he has never waved a flag before a show before
number 3: why not? personally thought the lyrics went hand in hand with the situation all around the worl re troops
and number 4: because his dress sense has always been spot on

perrypickwick said:

As bad as that outfit was, everytime Bono makes a fashion mistake, I just think about the outfits for Popmart and then I feel better. :wink:

ANY live version of Pride - that's ANY live version of Pride as it never sounds as good as the studio version! Maybe if they did an acoustic version then it's relevance might sound truer than the going-thru-the-motions full band versions.

In a little While - one for the girls, but really bores me to death.

Replacing Miami with SBS - yeh, put SBS somewhere else in the setlist BUT don't replace Miami.

Miss Sarajevo Vertigo tour - okay before you all jump on me and beat me to death I'd just like to say that it's a great moment for Bono to sing his 'opera', but the song is too slow and loses all the impact of the studio version. Should've kept RTSS!!

As someone mentioned before, dedicating RTSS to the troops as RTSS is a song about heroin addiction and has nothing to do with fighting a war in another country! Come on Bono! That was wrong! Dedicate BTBS (maybe).

Also Come on Everybody always sounded complete crap - no offence guys, it DID!

But (as all U2 fans do realise) 95% of the band's live career has been f**king brilliant!

U2mixer said:

Miss Sarajevo Vertigo tour - okay before you all jump on me and beat me to death I'd just like to say that it's a great moment for Bono to sing his 'opera', but the song is too slow and loses all the impact of the studio version. Should've kept RTSS!!

Miss Sarajevo > Vertigo RTSS, IMO

And i say that as someone who would have liked to have heard RTSS

Miss Sarajevo was much better for the troop dedication - instead of stuffing the RTSS message.

perrypickwick said:

Hell, SBS was ruined already - it's so dead live :\

U2girl said:

That was a very good and valid question about the broadcast and it suitably left the band - and Bono in particular - speechless.

Exactly my point - it was the discomfort that it caused and the grey area that it shone light on that made it work so well.

U2girl said:
"Please...get up off your knees" isn't a simple and idealistic view?

No. Because getting up off your knees in this context means moving on with your own life and viewing your relationship with others and with yourself in a different context rather than simply hugging everyone around you and saying it'll be alright. I think.

I always thought that the "Please... get up off your knees" was a plea for people to stop using religion to justify violence. It's a very poignant, loaded line if you look at it that way.

PookaMacP said:

Exactly my point - it was the discomfort that it caused and the grey area that it shone light on that made it work so well.

No. Because getting up off your knees in this context means moving on with your own life and viewing your relationship with others and with yourself in a different context rather than simply hugging everyone around you and saying it'll be alright. I think.

It didn't work, I feel. What good was there from the broadcast, really? The way they did it feels more like the band wanted to make themselves feel good about it rather than really contributing something valuable to people of Sarajevo. It would work better if that tour had any political overtones whatsover (Bullet the blue sky aside).

I thougth the line meant "give up religion abuse for violence", that is "take faith out of this and you will be fine" but that to me doesn't take the political side of that particular conflict in view.

prideofzootv said:
sorry julioarca, i need to ask, that isnt a Sunderland Football (SAFC) Player in our avatar is it?

Hehe, no he isn't any more im sorry to say. In hindsight it wasn't such a good idea getting a players name as nick...could be worse though, if he signed for them lot up the road.... Judging by your location I believe you understand who Im talking about;)

I have a new favorite most hated u2 live moment. Its a cringeworthy rendition of Mothers Of The Disappeared I think on Vertigo tour, where Edge plays a tiny guitar type instrument. F**k.......its terrible!!

U2mixer said:
ANY live version of Pride - that's ANY live version of Pride as it never sounds as good as the studio version! Maybe if they did an acoustic version then it's relevance might sound truer than the going-thru-the-motions full band versions.

:huh: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

What?

the Pride-version from the Rattle and Hum movie -that's my personal favourite music moment of all time. I can 't tell how often I watched these just beautiful shot minutes (more than 100 times for sure) - Phil Joneau and U2 have created the perfect music moment. It's just beautiful.
This little piece of film- Pride in Rattle and Hum - will make me stay a U2 fan forever. Bono can tell anything stupid, wear the most embarassing outfits or loose his voice, anything. This moment stays.

perrypickwick said:
the Pride-version from the Rattle and Hum movie -that's my personal favourite music moment of all time.

... wow. I suppose there has to be someone. You're certainly one of only a few people I've ever seen say that that performance doesn't completely stink. That performance nearly lowered my opinion of Pride, it's so terrible. The guitar sound just does not ring like it does on the album, and Bono's vocals aren't half as emphatic as they should be.

Though, to be fair, it's aeons ahead of the woeful Popmart and Elevation performances of Pride.

I do, however, think the early UF Tour versions of Pride (especially the Wellington performance), the one from the 1987 Old Grey Whistle Test session, and some from the Vertigo Tour are better than the studio version. It seems to me that on Vertigo, Edge finally returned to a good guitar sound, and on the right night, Bono had enough emotion to carry the chorus despite his worn voice.

gman said:
I have a new favorite most hated u2 live moment. Its a cringeworthy rendition of Mothers Of The Disappeared I think on Vertigo tour, where Edge plays a tiny guitar type instrument. F**k.......its terrible!!

you mean the one that was given to him by the president of Argentina that Edge played in honor of the culture that had been nearly devestated by years of war, innocent kidnappings and injustice and that meant so much for the people to see it......yeah really terrible

:wink:

Back
Top Bottom