U2's most political songs....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aardvark747

Blue Crack Addict
Im gonna do a cd for a mate of mine, of U2's most political songs. He's into stuff like the Manics and Rage Against The Machine.
I need about 15, just in case I cant think of a lot - can someone else suggest some for me?!:wink:
Cheers

1. Bullet the Blue Sky(ZooTV)
2. God Part II(live)
3. Sunday Bloody Sunday(Rattle and Hum)
4. Rejoice
5. 11 O'Clock Tick Tock(live)
6. Like a Song
7. Love and Peace or Else
8. Please(live)
9. Where the Streets Have No Name(live)
10.Silver and Gold(live)
11.New Year's Day
12.Love is Blindness(live)

djerdap said:
12.Love is Blindness(live)

Love is Blindness...political? A song about The Edge's divorce?

I would add Peace on Earth. Even Walk On could be political in a certain light. Others...Surrender, Seconds, Native Son, Staring at the Sun,and definitely, Crumbs.

ADecentMelody said:

Love is Blindness...political? A song about The Edge's divorce?

I would add Peace on Earth. Even Walk On could be political in a certain light. Others...Surrender, Seconds, Native Son, Staring at the Sun,and definitely, Crumbs.

It's a song about fanatics blowing people up in the name of "love" or patriotism.

Making the bomb:

"Love is clockworks
and cold steel,
fingers to numb to feel.
squeeze the handle,
blow out the candle,
Love Is Blindness"

Using the bomb:

"In a parked car,
on a crowded street,
you see your love,
made complete,
thread is ripping,
the knot is slipping,
love is blindness"

MrBrau1 said:

It's a song about fanatics blowing people up in the name of "love" or patriotism.

Making the bomb:

"Love is clockworks
and cold steel,
fingers to numb to feel.
squeeze the handle,
blow out the candle,
Love Is Blindness"

Using the bomb:

"In a parked car,
on a crowded street,
you see your love,
made complete,
thread is ripping,
the knot is slipping,
love is blindness"

It's fine if you interpret it that way, but in an interview Bono already mentioned it being a song about The Edge's divorce from Aislinn. The imagery is full of things that are falling apart - knot slipping, thread ripping, candle blown out. That's how I always see it - The Edge's deadpan expression during the live version in Zooropa.

ADecentMelody said:

It's fine if you interpret it that way, but in an interview Bono already mentioned it being a song about The Edge's divorce from Aislinn. The imagery is full of things that are falling apart - knot slipping, thread ripping, candle blown out. That's how I always see it - The Edge's deadpan expression during the live version in Zooropa.

Bono's also said it's about fanatics.

The video for LIB on the Numb video single leans the song more towards the fanatical point of view.

seconds
with a shout
rejoice

crumbs, definitely :up:

fast cars could be considered political, plus it's a great song.

i always think of bad as political, too--the lyrics can go either way, plus the live aid connection...

Back
Top Bottom