U2 NEED TO MOVE WITH THE TIMES

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
for the new u2 album they need to take a look at how other bands are releasing music these days.
Obviously everyone knows what Radiohead did with "In Rainbows" but since then fans were able to download 2 new coldplay tracks before the album was released, coldplay also gave away another b-side on 7 inch free with NME.

Today the Verve gave away a free song on their website which will not be on their new album.

So hopefully u2 will come up with something for us rather than release music in the way they have before.

why? Since when does U2 do what everyone else does?
Dude, U2 are NOT radiohead, nor coldplay nor the Verve... they're U2
they'll do their own thing, and I highly doubt they'll go with the flow...

Ofcourse it would be cool, but exactly as you say, for audiophiles.... releasing CDs is business, and audiophiles are just not a big enough audience, so it won't happen.

i just want the album
i am not even gonna pretend i care what else they do
as long as i get to buy and listen to the album

I figured Shaun Vox would be the author of this thread. But there would have been a mention of the unusual way Chinese Democracy is being released....not at all.

I don't care what they do to promote it - probably something new - as long as I can buy a cd version. I hate download only releases.

Why?
In the 30 years they've been around, I've never though "Gee, I wish they would give me music differently."
I'm happy paying for the album and the single.
Put it on iTunes like everyone else.
Just make more b-sides.

What's that line from Kite about new media being the big idea?
I'd rather talk about the music than how we get it.
We''ve spent enough time talking about Napster, iTunes and Radiohead in the last 10 years.
It's detracting from the actual art.
If you want to talk distribution, go work in that dept.
I want to to hear about music.
It bothers me that in stead oif talking about In Raibows as an album, the majority of fan boards, sites and media outlets focused on how it was released.
What does that say?

Ofcourse it would be cool, but exactly as you say, for audiophiles.... releasing CDs is business, and audiophiles are just not a big enough audience, so it won't happen.

Audiophiles are about the only audience that are still buying CDs. :shifty:

Make it a download...

and include it with this program.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/30/arts/music/30red.html?_r=1&ref=business&oref=slogin

But on Monday (RED), a nonprofit organization that arranges for companies to contribute a share of profits on certain products to fight AIDS in Africa, is starting a digital music service for that purpose, and it plans to operate for the long haul. The new venture has already arranged to release new songs from U2, Bob Dylan, Elvis Costello, Elton John, Emmylou Harris and Death Cab for Cutie.

The still-unnamed service, which is scheduled to start in September, will deliver customers three new pieces of exclusive content a week for a monthly fee of $5. Half of that money will go through (RED) to the Global Fund, and the other half will go to the artists who contribute songs and to their record companies.

I think the hard-core super-dork audiophiles have gone back to vinyl. The true snobs of the music world never got down with CD's in the first place. :wink:

i just want the album
i am not even gonna pretend i care what else they do
as long as i get to buy and listen to the album

I don't care what they do to promote it - probably something new - as long as I can buy a cd version. I hate download only releases.

:up:

I'm not going to be listening to anything until the album is on sale in the shops. Nothing beats that imo.

I can't see why it would matter to most of us fans. Whether or not U2 gives away a free track download, I will be purchasing the CD at the soonest convenience.

The good thing about a free download is that it will attract people (of which there are many) who may not have been interested in buying the album. If the song is good enough, many of these people will go on to purchase the entire album. I can hardly see how this is a bad thing.

i doubt it since Paul McGinness is soooooooooooo against this idea of anything free. And how he thought what Radiohead did was a failure...

I actually agree with this sentiment. And it's one reason why U2 now have obtained this "U2 are all about the $$" sentiment from casual fans and non-fans.

I still think U2 could release something on iTunes or their own site for a fee, but then toss in a freebie with the download. For example, download the new hit single for a cost, but then get the b-side song for free. B-sides came "free" with 45 rpm records or CD singles anyway, so why not make them free as part of the download package.

To me, this is a nice compromise. It's good advertising (2 for the price of 1), people still have to buy the song which will make McGuinness happy, but U2 also looks like they care for their fans. It's a win-win situation.

If McGuinness is hesitant to have a "2 for 1" deal, then perhaps throw in an extra track (like the b-side) if fans download the whole album (12 for the price of 11). It's not quite as dramatic as a "2 for 1", but at least it gives the fans something.

Overall, though, I do agree that some changes have to be made. CD releases are still grand and I have no problem with them. But it's time to capitalize on the download revenue as well.

I actually agree with this sentiment. And it's one reason why U2 now have obtained this "U2 are all about the $$" sentiment from casual fans and non-fans.

I still think U2 could release something on iTunes or their own site for a fee, but then toss in a freebie with the download. For example, download the new hit single for a cost, but then get the b-side song for free. B-sides came "free" with 45 rpm records or CD singles anyway, so why not make them free as part of the download package.

To me, this is a nice compromise. It's good advertising (2 for the price of 1), people still have to buy the song which will make McGuinness happy, but U2 also looks like they care for their fans. It's a win-win situation.

If McGuinness is hesitant to have a "2 for 1" deal, then perhaps throw in an extra track (like the b-side) if fans download the whole album (12 for the price of 11). It's not quite as dramatic as a "2 for 1", but at least it gives the fans something.

Overall, though, I do agree that some changes have to be made. CD releases are still grand and I have no problem with them. But it's time to capitalize on the download revenue as well.

really good ideas doctorwho! :up:

U2, the business and the band really should capitalize on this on this avenue.. It really is time to get with the times now since this what the future holds and if Paul Mc sits there with his fingers in his ears going "na na na na I can't hear you" well that will be a sad day in the land that is U2...IMO and my 2 cents..

That and old Dutch people who still prefer to have something 'real' instead of just a lose-able computer file! :tongue:

:wink: oh, and a few youngsters aswell... I shock my generation by actually buying cds... and not only of U2!

I agree with the whole 'I don't care how they release it, as long as they give us the new album' thing, and for a change I really would like an old skool cd :wink: for the collection. it would ruin the rest if I suddenly only get a digital copy you lose with the next computer crash!

Why?
In the 30 years they've been around, I've never though "Gee, I wish they would give me music differently."
I'm happy paying for the album and the single.
Put it on iTunes like everyone else.
Just make more b-sides.

What's that line from Kite about new media being the big idea?
I'd rather talk about the music than how we get it.
We''ve spent enough time talking about Napster, iTunes and Radiohead in the last 10 years.
It's detracting from the actual art.
If you want to talk distribution, go work in that dept.
I want to to hear about music.
It bothers me that in stead oif talking about In Raibows as an album, the majority of fan boards, sites and media outlets focused on how it was released.
What does that say?

Excellent post. :up:

Honestly, who cares about how it's released? As long as I can still get a physical copy so that I can collect it as a fan and still have it when my computer dies (and my external hard drive, and the cd I burn..:wink: ), I don't care what other media you use. Give me a damn good album. If you release a free song or something of the like, who the hell cares that much??

People are majorly missing the whole point of the Radiohead approach. The point was to show that an artist can release an album on their own without a record company, and do it in a way in which they still make money and generate buzz about the album. The point was not to prove that giving shit away for free online is the way of the future.

Last edited:
U2 need to get with the times >=[ Downloading is sooo 2007 >=[

They need to IMPLANT MUSICAL CHIPS WITH ALBUMS AND BSIDES AND DISCOGRAPHIES RIGHT INTO OUR EARS >=[

Back
Top Bottom