U2 Feedback in danger! EVERYONE MUST READ!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Elvis

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
ADDED: CLICK HERE TO DONATE!

To all:

At a time when we all have more than enough to worry about in the world...

I have been informed, as of today, that the company that I used to be employed by no longer exists.

Why is this important to you?

A: Well, that company has been paying for all the servers each month which support Interference.com and Feedback. The server expensese are quite high, not because of the amount of space (MB) used, but the fact that Feedback itself is incredibly process intensive (meaning, it basically takes an entire machine of its own). As I do not profit from Interference/Feedback, it is not an option to spend this kind of money out of my own pocket.

I need to take action ASAP in some way or another in order to preserve the existance of the site and forum.

I'm uncomfortable with asking for donations to help keep the site running, but at this point I have to leave that as an option.

I am also interested to hear from anyone that may work for or own an isp/hosting company and may be able to help.

I'm really looking for suggestions and ideas, and to see what people are and are not willing to do to help support something that has always been free for them to use.

Sorry for the bad news... hopefully we can make it good news....

Please either reply to this thread, or email me privately (or both) at elvis@plot180.net

Joel Tanner (aka Elvis)

------------------
-Elvis http://interference.com

[This message has been edited by Elvis (edited 09-15-2001).]

I'd be willing to make a donation, but it would be small (poor college student)...that's about all I can offer...
frown.gif

Hopefully somebody else will be able to help more...

------------------
Trust In God...But Lock Your Doors

Same here...but also a poor college kid. Would be willing to help!

------------------
Make Love!
Not War

First time posting in this forum... Normally I stick to PLEBA, but someone sent me this link on #U2. So, I'm replying.

I work at PetsMart and have basically no debts. I just donated $200 to the American Red Cross (about a week and a half's paycheck), and would definitely be willing to donate to this "cause".... My computer is my life blood, pretty much, and without Feedback I would...uh... have no feedback? I'll use that as my reason. So basically, yeah, I'll donate a little sumthin'.

Maybe if we make a big enough deal about this we can, y'know, keep it running. Which would be good.

-Linds...

------------------
NO FB++++ N+++ C~# L+++ O++ CV++ UB4, UF7, JT10, ZO1, PO5

Well, since we are going through a national crisis, and this place has been helping me out lately get through the days, knowing that we are all together, WE MUST SAVE FEEDBACK!
So, since I am already in debt, I figure YES I can help out too. Let me know, Elvis, and I will try my best to help.
If we all help, the cost should be minimized.

amazon, CDNow et. al. will let you keep a (small) portion of the sales that you direct to them if you advertise here. Definitely worth a look.

This is a scarey thought: no Interference!

I don't have access to any webspace on which to host it, but let me know what else I can do to help, such as a small donation.

You should have no trouble finding support among us interference addicts!

~U2Alabama

ELVIS, terrible NEWS!!
frown.gif
frown.gif
On top of everything else!!

I am SURE there are other server companies out there that you can use...it's just that finding them is the hard part.

I would say, contact EVERYBODY that's U2-community related for tips, I will also contact all my U2 contacts...surely there is someone computer savvy enough to help you out.

BUT FIRST THING: GET A PAYPAL ACCOUNT or some other on-line payment account, so that we can send you money on line NOW. I would be more than happy to do this, as would many others, I'm sure.

What would we do without Interference??? WE CAN'T LET THIS HAPPEN INTERFERENCERS!!!
frown.gif
(please!!)

*off immediately to check with my resources*

Disco

I'll do whatever I can to help keep interference/feedback as is.

Hope you can find a way to have it remain no fees, no advertising - but if not, I'll be here anyway.
smile.gif

------------------
"If they knock you down get right back up.
That's the only way to do it." Elvis Presley

I am a poor student too, but I will help in any way I can. There are too many wonderful ppl around here, we MUST help Elvis save U2feedback!!!

------------------
"She is the dreamer, she's imagination..."

*+*MaRiA*+*

i would consider advertising. i know other forums that do it. if you'd like i can give you the email address of another webmaster who opperates madonnaland and it's forum. (he also uses infopop and has advertisements.)
smile.gif

------------------
"I can't believe the news today,
Oh, I can't close my eyes
And make it go away.
How long...
How long must we sing this song?
How long? How long...
'cause tonight...we can be as one."

Love to all of you,
Emily

As per 'advertisements'....

They dont't work... They simply do not pay enough anymore.

------------------
-Elvis
http://interference.com

I will definitely send a donation to save this place. C'mon people, if we rally, there is no doubt we can save feedback. I love it here.

AJ

Joel is certainly in a better position to comment on this than I, but I don't think donations are the solution here. A good short-term solution, but depending on the cost of running the site monthly it would probably be preferred to find somewhere else to host it. If nothing else, maybe the message board could simply be placed on a free site for the time being until something more permanent is found and/or more donations are received.

Joel, approximately how many people are registered here? I'm guessing its a fairly significant number. Even a small donation from everyone would likely result in a fairly large sum.

In the "olden days" of WIRE (Joel might remember), before Interference was born, a similar situation occurred. We simply did not have enough hard drive room to keep WIRE going and the server that ran WIRE was being shut down. The people of WIRE contributed and ultimately we were able to buy a large (at that time - this was around '95/96) new hard drive to keep WIRE going.

Therefore, Joel, tell us the type of server needed to keep Interference going. Tell us the approximate cost of said server. I see servers advertised for as little as $1K. So be specific about the costs.

Once we know this information, we can start a "charity drive" for Interference. If we collect more than what's needed for a new server, we could donate the extra funds to a charity.

Therefore, tell us what you need and I'll help organize the rest. I'm sure we can get some of the more "dominant" people on Interference to assist as well.
wink.gif

That sucks. I would be all for donations, as silly as it seems to me. But I would pay money to support my bad/time-consuming/life-sucking habit. I'm down.

I'll pony up if needed.

What about a subscription idea? There are quite a few of us, and if we each subscribed for a reasonable amount it might work.

------------------
...a highway with no one on it, a treasure just to look upon it...

"The skeletal structure of your foot is not normal." -- my podiatrist 8-6-01

I would also be willing to make a donation.

------------------
Remember the goul.

Shake n' bake
Do whatever it takes

I WILL DONATE MY LIFE SAVINGS TO SAVE FEEDBACK!!!!

And dont think I'm joking.

mad.gif

------------------
Religious Nuts, Political Fanatics In The Stew
Happily Not Like Me And You
That's where I lost you....

Sicy's Website

Elvis...

This is when all your kissing up to U2 in LA really pays off!!

I thought you were the guy with connections.

Edge endorsed the sight for crying out loud!!!

Why don't you get with U2 about your problem??? They need a good message board with 100,000,000 entries
smile.gif

Originally posted by ]{arao]{e:
Why don't you get with U2 about your problem??? They need a good message board with 100,000,000 entries
smile.gif

Sounds so much easier than it is.

------------------
-Elvis
http://interference.com

Sign me up to donate as well. If it comes to that, just tell us all how much we'd need to pitch in.

any one know how much a server (the unit)costs we could buy our own.

------------------
"BONO'S PRAYER HEAVENS AIR"

Dont believe the devil i dont believe his book.

Originally posted by SicilianGoddess:
I WILL DONATE MY LIFE SAVINGS TO SAVE FEEDBACK!!!!

And dont think I'm joking.
mad.gif

With 4060 posts from you, I would never think you're joking.
wink.gif

------------------
Change is the only constant

i'll send a donation or do a subscription. i love this place. i dont want to see it
shut down
frown.gif

Well allright I'll help as much as possible doing some research. I'm currently working outta of the the school's tv station here at USC they've just started implimenting servers, enough to put the station on air live 24/7 through the net. I'm supposed to be helping the online production guy so I can definately get some answers if given questions.
But I would like to know how many servers are we working out of now Elvis? Second if we were able to buy that many servers would you be doing this from home? How much memory are you using? How much do you think will be the monthly costs? How much time do we have? I can try to get some numbers if you think that's best solution but right now it would be easier for us to help if we were given options. And since you've been hosting this place for so long I'm sure you know what's possible and what's not. So the more info you give us the best we can help.

-Marina B. I.

P.S. what did this company do? where did it go?

Back
Top Bottom