Trying to contradict the opinions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aygo

Rock n' Roll Doggie
Some friends and many people come to me and tell me that they don't appreciate U2. One of the reason I hear many times is "U2's music sounds all the same and their songs are lame because they sound similar"... I just say "WTF!?"
A friend of mine lately insisted in that, and so, I burned him a 3 cd compilation of songs that prove the exact contrary. The songs don't fit one in another, but that's the proposit, to help me me in my mission...

CD1

Mofo / Goldeneye (demo) / Miami / Tomorrow / Mysterious ways / Deep in the heart / Running to standstill / Somedays are better than others / Van diemen's land / HMTMKMKM / North and south of the river / A man and a woman / Indian summer sky / Slow dancing / Love & peace or else / So cruel / Vertigo

CD2

An cath dub / Into the heart / Lemon / Bass trap / Elevation / Original of the species / October / Desire / Numb / Drowning man / Wire / Miss Sarajevo / Do you feel loved / Love is blindness / Scarlet / All I want is you / Where the streets have no name

CD3

Discotheque / Fast cars / I will follow / Your blue room / MLK / Zoo station / Walk to the water / Jesus Christ * / Night and day * / Angel of Harlem / Daddy's gonna pay... / Pride / Grace / Bullet the blue sky / The unforgettable fire / Zooropa / (bonus) Boy/Girl

Well, do you think that I'm going to change his mind???:wink:

most people that dont like U2 arent easily swayed...i find....they have they're opinions and i also feel most people bash U2 because sometimes it is the easy cool thing to do, they bash without really listening to the music, which to me is very ignorant...

anyone i have ever come across that doesnt like U2 only goes by the radio hits of recent, BD, vertigo, elevation etc

they dont know about achtung baby, pop, and joshua tree....

^ Yeah, that's pretty true...! That's what I find wrong, and not only about U2.
That's why I always prefer not to make such judgements until I know the artist a bit better.
In Portugal, for instance, there (still) exists the HUGE beliefe that "Pop" was a dance music album... :huh:

My mates say the same and they refuse to listen to u2 even when i try put em straight.

Aygo said:
One of the reason I hear many times is "U2's music sounds all the same and their songs are lame because they sound similar"... I just say "WTF!?"

Put Heartland and Zooropa on a cd and see if they sound the same.

:up:

I have some friends who don't like U2 aswell but I have two or three who are crazy about them... And the main reason is what aygo said. I think you had an excellent idea :up: But I don't know if he will change his mind. Maybe he will but it can be difficult for him to admit...

Z00rop@83 said:
most people that dont like U2 arent easily swayed...i find....they have they're opinions and i also feel most people bash U2 because sometimes it is the easy cool thing to do, they bash without really listening to the music, which to me is very ignorant...

anyone i have ever come across that doesnt like U2 only goes by the radio hits of recent, BD, vertigo, elevation etc

they dont know about achtung baby, pop, and joshua tree....

That's so true! I have a friend that really really hates them... I never understood why and honestly I try not to talk about U2 with her. A couple of weeks ago it was my birthday and my friends put AB on the cd player for me. And next thing she says "I never heard these songs" See what I mean... Anyway it didn't make her like the band but at least it was a proof that she never listens to them... Maybe it's cool to say "I hate U2"

I think that people who say this, probably don't own a U2 album and if they do, they almost don't listen to it.
They base their opinion with the songs that still get more airplay in radio and the videos that still aired in TV. It's almost the same songs: Walk on, SBS, ISHFWILF, WOWY; Streets, Beautiful day, Stuck in a moment, Elevation, One, Mysterious ways... etc
We know that these songs are no similar to each other but to the common listener, they are. And add the wagon of recent hits that are mostly rock songs that match with the spirit of those I referred.

Most people who know U2 only through TV and radio these days will have heard the recent stuff and probably a few 'classics' like Streets. It's very rare to come across true examples of 90s U2 (my fave era) without going looking for them. They don't know about the greatness of Pop or the weirdness lurking in Zooropa and how this stuff differs so hugely from anything they release today... and the early stuff is so energetic and wonderful, it still sounds so fresh and young.

My friend: 'U2 are pussy pop'
Me: 'What songs do you know?'
My friend: 'Oh, Vertigo...ummm'
Me: 'Beautiful Day?'
My friend: 'Vaguely...'
Me: You are a moron.

People who call U2 pussy tend to think bands like Good Charlotte totally rock...I tend to ignore these people (or try to anyway).

To give you some perspective, when I was in school there were kids who called U2 pussy...they thought Bon Jovi and Poison were totally kickass. The more things change, the more they stay the same.

I like U2, screw everybody who doesn't :)

"The songs all sound the same" has to be the stupidest argument against them ever.

Anyone who pops out that little gem obviously is too lazy to go to a free video site and listen to a couple songs from different years.

The first search page on YouTube for "U2 Video" has videos from the present, Pop, ZooTV, JT, and Boy-October.
Click on a couple and suddenly, zomg! They DON'T sound the same!

You have to stop and wonder how people too lazy to do that even mange to get themselves out of bed and into the shower every day.

annie_vox said:
I have a friend that really really hates them... I never understood why and honestly I try not to talk about U2 with her. A couple of weeks ago it was my birthday and my friends put AB on the cd player for me. And next thing she says "I never heard these songs."

Well that just about ends that.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
girl at bar: i don't like u2 all their songs sound the same
me: they do not, how do you say that?
girl at bar: why does every song they put out lately have to include the word beautiful in the chorus?
me: ...
girl at bar: well?
me: ... you look fat in those pants.

Zing!

Is there some kind of problem posting new threads? The icon doesn't even show up on my screen.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
girl at bar: i don't like u2 all their songs sound the same
me: they do not, how do you say that?
girl at bar: why does every song they put out lately have to include the word beautiful in the chorus?
me: ...
girl at bar: well?
me: ... you look fat in those pants.
:laugh:

U2 will always be one of the most hated bands out there unfortunatly....but the ones they hook as fans they hook for life!

Back
Top Bottom