Transcript of Springsteen's induction speech for U2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Anyone have the transcript for what the band said?

PS Speeches come off better when you actually SEE the person giving them. When you read something, jokes and sarcasm can come off differently....as we all know.

Jick, you must be trying to get a rise out of us - either that or you simply can't admit to the Boss doing anything worthwhile because that might cause the blinders to fall from your eyes, revealing your heroes Bon Jovi as the cheesy, pathetic Springsteen rip-offs they really are. :wink:

For once I have to agree with Jick - Bono gave a much better speech.

I wish they had gotten someone who really knows the band and their history.

Stefan said:
For once I have to agree with Jick - Bono gave a much better speech.

I wish they had gotten someone who really knows the band and their history.

What makes you think Bruce doesn't know the band and their history? He met them when they were still playing clubs!

Bono's shades said:

What makes you think Bruce doesn't know the band and their history? He met them when they were still playing clubs!

His recollection of meeting U2 in the club gig is muddy at best. He didn't even mention any vivid memory or lasting impression or song performance of that gig that he could remember well. So he watched a U2 club gig, big deal. Did he ever follow U2's career? I don't think so. His speech, riddled with general statements, is clear proof that he doesn't know squat about U2. He is even pathetically trying to make his own interpretation of the Vertigo countoff. The speech is a pitiful read, and I'm sure it would cause earbleed once I hear its delivery.

And by the way, I don't see what Bon Jovi has to do with this so I am puzzled as to why you brought them up.

Cheers,

J

The speech was good especially considering that U2 is really an artist that has no peers in the music industry. Secondly I am sure Springsteen doesnt spend entire days on this site thinking about thoughtless ideas to rile up a conversation such as some people i know.

Could a hardcore fan have written a better speech probably could another musician have written a better speech probably not.

Miroslava said:
:drool: That was awesome! Never been a huge Bruce fan (didn't hate him either, just didn't love him. I think I love him now!)

:rockon:

thank you for posting that!
[/QUOTE}

Hi there Miroslava!

look, folks, we got a 'conversion'!

I liked Born to Run when it came out {played on radio}, but when we [friends & i heard Bruxce & Estreet over the radio- broadcasting the legendary Bottom Line concerts in ?74 or 75? We weren't totally 'taken over'.

But then we went to see him...it was 4 of us broken up tix -wise into 2 different rows. I turn to my sister's friend [who was to become a longtime friend of mine also] and asked--because you really COULD cut the excitement in the room with a knife
..."do you you feel excited" and she said..."no, not yet>"

But by the third song we WERE converted into raving Springsteen fans. We've been so even since> And 3 of the 4 of us plus another different friend have seen Springsteen ever since 76 for all theses yeasrs!

And I turned them on to U2 in either '80 or early '81! :D and we've been seeing U2 together also sinse 84!

:bow: Thank you phanan & catman for the B-men's speech transcripts!

The transcript of the speech was awful. Now I just watched the video and the delivery was even more awful. Springsteen has no stage presence when he gives a speech and he did not sound sincere at all. This was really the worst of them all. What a pity U2 had to be inducted by Springsteen. Others could have done much better.

Cheers,

J

jick said:
The transcript of the speech was awful. Now I just watched the video and the delivery was even more awful. Springsteen has no stage presence when he gives a speech and he did not sound sincere at all. This was really the worst of them all. What a pity U2 had to be inducted by Springsteen. Others could have done much better.

Cheers,

J

God u bore me....:yawn:

jick said:

Cheers,

J

Like who, exactly? Perhaps Bon Jovi, your favorite band who copies Springsteen's mannerisms to a T nowadays?

I can't understand where jick is coming from with all this hate. I have been on many U2 messageboards and have several friends who love U2 and jick is the only one out of all of them who has said anything bad about Bruce's speech at all.

Plus I attended the simulcast of the Induction Ceremony at the Hall of Fame in Cleveland with thousands of other rock and roll fans and it was unanimous there that Bruce did an awesome job.

I really can't understand why jick would try and bring us down during one of U2's greatest moments. You can tell how the boys in the band feel about Bruce. Heck, Bono and the Boss stayed up til 6 am drinking together that night after the ceremony.

Back
Top Bottom