The " 'Yahweh' Is Completely Overrated" Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

namkcuR

ONE love, blood, life
I don't understand why so many of you think this song is so great, so brilliant, the perfect closer for HTDAAB etc etc. It is SO bland. It sounds like a band trying desperately to sound like U2. I remember people saying, back when HTDAAB first leaked, that Yahweh was U2's best closer since "40". I don't understand how anyone could say with a straight face that Yahweh is better, nay, even in the same league with "All I Want Is You" or "Love Is Blindness" or "Wake Up Dead Man" just to name a few.

Can someone explain to me this excessive adoration of Yahweh?

Because I, for one, think it's one of the worst songs in U2's entire catalog. HTDAAB has some very good songs on it, but this is not one of them.

:no:

I can't tell you why people hold it in such high regard. It's a very good song but nowhere near as good as the other closers you just mentioned.

namkcuR said:
I don't understand why so many of you think this song is so great, so brilliant, the perfect closer for HTDAAB etc etc. It is SO bland. It sounds like a band trying desperately to sound like U2. I remember people saying, back when HTDAAB first leaked, that Yahweh was U2's best closer since "40". I don't understand how anyone could say with a straight face that Yahweh is better, nay, even in the same league with "All I Want Is You" or "Love Is Blindness" or "Wake Up Dead Man" just to name a few.

Can someone explain to me this excessive adoration of Yahweh?

Because I, for one, think it's one of the worst songs in U2's entire catalog. HTDAAB has some very good songs on it, but this is not one of them.

Listen to the live version of Yahweh and then tell me it's bland....it's simply beautiful . That said, I do prefer both the alternative & live versions to the one on HTDAAB.

Last edited:
If we are talking about the studio version of Yahweh then yes it is pretty crap and bland. On the other hand as noted before on the forum, the alternative version and the live version is just magificent.

namkcuR said:
I don't understand why so many of you think this song is so great, so brilliant, the perfect closer for HTDAAB etc etc.

Unfortunately (from my point of view I hasten to add) the 'closer' on my album is 'Fast Cars', possibly one of the worst U2 songs I've ever heard. Therefore, in comparison to that, 'Yahweh' is a far superior closer to HTDAAB.

Yahweh & A Man and a Woman are the weakest tracks on HTDAAB

Not even the live version of Yahweh can sabe some of the lyrics. It feels like a watered down "Grace".

:wave:

I don't understand why it's necessary to use the word thread, in the title.

It's so redundant, of course it's a thread.

Also calling a thread an appreciation thread, is that necessary?

Anywhoo, it's along the lines of "Grace", the adoration comes from what the song is about for some, but those who aren't interested in that, probably don't or won't apprecaite it, in the same way someone else who is interested, does.

Some people like it because of the music, how it's structured, why anyone of us like anything, fairly subjective question.

:eyebrow:

It's a song about God. The lyrics don't scream it, but that's what it's about. Maybe you don't understand the power of that song because it doesn't seem quite like it's about God. I'd take it over Wake up Dead Man and Love is Blindness anyday. It sure beats Mothers of the Dissapeared and whatever sorry song was the last track on ATYCLB.

And by the way, it is not over-rated. It is quite under-rated. Love is Blindness is over rated. I've never heard such a sorry excuse for a song in my life. An aweful way to end an almost-perfect album.

IrishDawg said:

It's a song about God. The lyrics don't scream it, but that's what it's about. Maybe you don't understand the power of that song because it doesn't seem quite like it's about God. I'd take it over Wake up Dead Man and Love is Blindness anyday. It sure beats Mothers of the Dissapeared and whatever sorry song was the last track on ATYCLB.

And by the way, it is not over-rated. It is quite under-rated. Love is Blindness is over rated. I've never heard such a sorry excuse for a song in my life. An aweful way to end an almost-perfect album.

Everything you have said is the exact opposite of the truth. The lyrics DO scream the whole 'god is good god is great' thing and that is one of its problems. Bono has always been good at writing his religious lyrics in a way that you can enjoy them even if you don't believe, but this song is an exception. I do not believe in Christianity or any other religion, and these lyrics are too religiously abrasive for my tastes. Musically, the song is utterly bland on the record, decent on the alternative take, and enjoyable/kind of pretty but nothing more live.

And Love Is Blindness is a a bloody incredible song. It is captivating, mesmerizing, and it is does a better job of conveying human pain through music along(not lyrics, just music) than most other pop/rock songs I've heard.

LIB>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Yahweh

namkcuR said:

Everything you have said is the exact opposite of the truth. The lyrics DO scream the whole 'god is good god is great' thing and that is one of its problems. Bono has always been good at writing his religious lyrics in a way that you can enjoy them even if you don't believe, but this song is an exception. I do not believe in Christianity or any other religion, and these lyrics are too religiously abrasive for my tastes. Musically, the song is utterly bland on the record, decent on the alternative take, and enjoyable/kind of pretty but nothing more live.

And Love Is Blindness is a a bloody incredible song. It is captivating, mesmerizing, and it is does a better job of conveying human pain through music along(not lyrics, just music) than most other pop/rock songs I've heard.

LIB>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Yahweh

Actually, it doesn't praise God so much as it questions him.

Why the dark before the dawn?

Take this heart and make it break

IrishDawg said:

How do the lyrics not scream 'God', when Bono is actually screaming the name 'Yahweh'? It's like saying 'Jingle Bells' isn't obviously about Santa Claus.

So 3 of U2's album closers walk into a bar and introduce themselves to each other:

"Hi, my name is Love is Blindness. Half of U2's fans think I close out their best album. I am a summary of all that is on that album. I am lyrically brilliant. I am that man featured throughout the album at the end of the night after he's lost everything, due to some or all of the reasons we covered throughout the rest of the album. Or maybe I am that man at the beginning, maybe I am wrapping myself in the darkness before I head out into the world that creates the rest of the songs on that album. What I really am is the feeling deep within the soul of the album and either I've been forced their post-experiences, or it's the view I've taken from the beginning. I could be the person on either side of the fence in those Achtung songs. I could be the person who is cruel, or the person singing So Cruel. How you interpret that will depend on your own life experiences. I'm one of U2's darkest sounding songs as well. I swirl and slow dance with you and around you, dance you down a set of stairs further and further into a dark and lonely night. I also feature one of The Edge's most beautiful and stunning guitar parts, a part that surely came from a very real and raw feeling due to his own life at the time, and a part that many say expresses the feeling of loneliness, desperation, heartbreak and downright depression better than any lyric ever could. My guitar part has even been described as a prayer. I mean a lot of things to a lot of people. I am a very raw and powerful song."

"Hi, my name is Wake Up Dead Man. I close out an album that describes a complicated and cluttered life, where all that has depth and meaning, all that is spiritual, all that is beautiful, has been replaced by all that is commercial, all that provides instant gratification, all that is on the surface, all that is shallow and superficial. I am a person who is fed up with this life and world that has strayed so far and become so noisy, so cluttered, so crass. I have followed that road too and am now very lost. I am a person crying out for both my personal spiritual needs, and for the world around me to realise how far they've come and to pull back and realise what is truly important in life, and to realise the calm, the beauty, the simple things, something as simple as the reed in the saxophone for example. I am crying out in the hope that something I do still hang onto, despite it long losing a presence or feeling within me, can return and guide me. I feel lost and empty. I am also at the end of a hard day, a hard period in time. I also dance and swirl with you, but it's more the clutter of ideas and thoughts and images spinning around as I lie there in bed, unable to sleep. I am one of U2's most complicated recordings, with many, many layers of sound and song, spinning forwards, spinning backwards. The random sounds of a day and night spinning in your head as you try to go to sleep. In all of that is an incredible beauty, the exact beauty I am trying to find. Listen closely. I am also a very raw and powerful song. Maybe U2s best spiritual song."

"Hi, my name is Yahweh. I flat out suck. I am a rehash of a lyrical idea previously used to far greater effect and far greater meaning. I am the sound of U2 pre-programmed on a keyboard by a guy who can't quite get the sound of U2 right, because U2 would never sound this bland or generic. Granted, my theme and meaning fits in with the album, and indeed is closure to the album, but I've done it in such a weak arse way, I get the feeling that I'm just a quick summary written in 5 minutes, not really expressing anything of true feeling or depth. I am a U2-does-spirituality-for-beginners song. I am regression not progression in every sense. I am an embarrassment to this great band who have covered the topic so fucking well in the past. I will now shrink away from this bar. I am in the company of greatness, something I can never dream of living up to. I will roll over and die in a dark alley somewhere as I should."

I love YAWEH, its one of the best songs off of HTDAAB, mostly because I can relate to what Bono is singing, great lyrics, and even though it is very U2ish song(guitar) thats why I love it.

Earnie, you do have a great writing style.
I really think Yahweh is not very good on the album.
I think it is much better on the early (alt) version.
I have not heard it live.
Whatever should make this song great is not there JMO, OK!?!.
This is a song that U2 could have written in 1984 or 1994 and still had the "it" factor, yet in 2004, it is NOT there. Just because it is new does not preclude it from having "it". It's just that in U2's catalogue the "it" is missing as of late, a lot.
Total subjective opinion.
I could pontificate on 'why' but there is no use to bore the forum.
It has nothing to do with 80's vs 90's vs 00's, but for you simpletons, you can chalk it up as that.

I dig the alt version because it's slightly more interesting. Bono sounds better. I AM a definite strings man. Synth strings or actual string, I love them. What can I say? I like the strings when they are on Sometimes live, and even the alt version. I love strings.

All that said, I wouldnt call it overrated.
If it touches people, then that is only a good thing.
I wish this song touched me like I thought it would.
This song is like a blueprint for goosebumps.
But they aren't there for me. The chorus is lazy.
The verses are cliche, but that could have been excused by a killer chorus.

I dont think a song is overrated just because you dont like it.
I dont like Mysetrious Ways at all, didnt in 1991, don't now.
There are people who dont like One or Streets, does that make any of those songs overrated? I dont think so.

Last edited:
i still think that YAHWEH is one of the 5 better songs on the album. but i will always prefer the alternative YAHWEH cause it has a very special AB-feeling (melancholic optimism):up:

starvinmarvin said:

Actually, it doesn't praise God so much as it questions him.

Why the dark before the dawn?

Take this heart and make it break

"Take this heart and make it break" is a statement of humility, it isn't questioning God.

"Why the dark before the dawn" I interpret as saying
"Why do we have to suffer pain before we can achieve a reward (heaven/salvation)" something that even Jesus himself asked.

Coming to God with a humble heart praises God. Giving everything you have to God is humilty which praises God. Realizing their are hardships before reward also praises God.

I interpret Yahweh as being a complete praise song to God and I can see how unreligous people would be alienated by it.

Earnie Shavers said:

How do the lyrics not scream 'God', when Bono is actually screaming the name 'Yahweh'? It's like saying 'Jingle Bells' isn't obviously about Santa Claus.

I would debate that Jingle Bells is not even about Christmas:madspit: Its more just a winter song... Nothing in it mentions or infers Christmas or Santa in anyway, think about the words and you will see what i mean:wink:

IMO it's good. They've had better closers and certainly worse as well.

Personally I think they should have played it full band live.
(like Who's gonna ride... and Ground beneath her feet, the song suffers for going acoustic. I do like it that Bono sings the chorus more softly live)

Earnie Shavers said:

I am one of U2's most complicated recordings, with many, many layers of sound and song, spinning forwards, spinning backwards. The random sounds of a day and night spinning in your head as you try to go to sleep. In all of that is an incredible beauty, the exact beauty I am trying to find. Listen closely. I am also a very raw and powerful song. Maybe U2s best spiritual song."

To adopt an American persona, 'You don't half, talk some shit'

"I am one of U2's most complicated recordings, with many, many layers of sound and song, spinning forwards, spinning backwards. "

Last edited:
roy said:

To adopt an American persona, 'You don't half, talk some shit'

"I am one of U2's most complicated recordings, with many, many layers of sound and song, spinning forwards, spinning backwards. "

What are you trying to say here? It makes no sense.

Back
Top Bottom