The SYCMIOYO story

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kiwilad

Refugee
After listening to Bono's intro for this song at Hanover Quay, I was interested to know what he meant by 'the song switches in the middle'. I've since come up with this interpretation...

The song begins in a hospital room, where bono is watching his dad slipping away. This is the obvious bit that we have been told the song is about. It is bloody moving, the way bono opens up to his dad at that last moment. But then during the middle section things change...
We zoom back almost 30 years to another hospital room, but this time it is bono's dad with his wife (bono's mum) dying beside him. It is this character who sings 'you're the reason the opera is in me' and 'don't leave me here alone' and 'a house doesn't make a home' and 'it's you when I can't go on' etc (excuse lyrical simplifications!). This is bono's dad pleaing his wife to stay because he understands that he can't do the 'father' thing, especially for young Paul who he doesn't understand.

So while the song initially shows us Bono's dad as a hard, insensitive anti-father lacking compassion (although doing this in a non-critical way) it them spins around to show us the dad's point of view. He never wanted to be left alone, he never said he could raise a happy home.
And even more poignant, when someone dear to him lay dying, the dad sung his emotions to himself, his heartbreak manifested as an internal song. 30 years later, when faced with the same situation Bono does exactly the same thing, using similar phrasings and perspectives.

At one point Bono states how similar the two of them are. By flashing back 30 years he then SHOWS us how similar they are.

Obviously this is just an opinion, feel free to disagree!!! But I challenge anyone who hasn't been knocked over by this song yet to listen to it with this story in mind, because in terms of raw emotion and spine tinglingness SYCMIOYO has ONE beaten hands down.

Last edited:
no, turn out the lights listen to both one wins although sycmioyo gives it a good go

turn out the lights, put sometimes on, and then imagine bono sitting next to his farther, while he is dying in a hospital bed, now put yourself in bonos shoes, sometimes wins hands down

Sorry, but

" You say
Love is a temple
Love a higher law
Love is a temple
Love the higher law
You ask me to enter
But then you make me crawl
And I can't be holding on
To what you got
When all you got is hurt "

Are the best lines ever.

on a personal level? when someone is loosing there father?

Listen to me now
I need to let you know
You don’t have to go it alone

And it’s you when I look in the mirror
And it’s you when I don’t pick up the phone
Sometimes you can’t make it on your own

bit more hearbraking dont ya think?

Why does almost everyone compare this to One? Not getting the relationship between the songs.

riteshbhatt1 said:
Why does almost everyone compare this to One? Not getting the relationship between the songs.

It's because they both steeped in emotion and at that One is the stronger song although i love sycmioyo.

Yea, but thats the song that would pop into your when thinking of U2 and emotion:wink:

Why can't people remember that every song means something different to everyone??? These are OPINIONS!!! No one is right, and no one is wrong.

Having said that Sometimes is better. If you don't agree, then you are wrong.

Having said that, One is better. If you don't agree, then something is wrong with you, so you should make an appointment with your doctor to see if there's a prescription you can take that will change your mind.

I can't believe I'm getting involved with this. :ohmy:

Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own (5:05)
Lyrics by Bono, Produced by Chris Thomas, Additional production by Steve Lillywhite and Nellee Hooper, Keyboards and additional vocal by The Edge

Tough, you think you’ve got the stuff
You’re telling me and anyone
You’re hard enough

You don’t have to put up a fight
You don’t have to always be right
Let me take some of the punches
For you tonight

Listen to me now
I need to let you know

We fight all the time
You and I… that’s alright
We’re the same soul
I don’t need… I don’t need to hear you say
That if we weren’t so alike
You’d like me a whole lot more

Listen to me now
I need to let you know

I know that we don’t talk
I’m sick of it all
Can - you - hear - me – when – I -
Sing, you’re the reason I sing
You’re the reason why the opera is in me…

Where are we now?
I’ve got to let you know
A house still doesn’t make a home
Don’t leave me here alone...

And it’s you that makes it hard to let go
Sometimes you can’t make it
The best you can do is to fake it

Kiawad
I couldn't agree with your more. But the spine tingled just as much when I first heard "One". Now I'm tingling for a different reason, in that my own father passed away not so long ago and I can TOTALLY TOTALLY relate to SYCMIOYO

I've been fortunate to get an advance copy of the new DVD as well as the album and there's a superb full acoustic version by Bono & Edge of this track, as well as some discussion about putting the song together over 3 years or so from Edge, Bono and Adam, The lyric on this acoustic version seems to stretch on abit with Bono referring to his Dad giving him the opera in him (which he also referred to in the Hanover Quay show)

Definitley one of the most honest lyrics Bono has ever written (with a little of the lyric thrown in from Edge perhaps?)

I think the "switch" is pretty obvious...

At first, Bono is saying to his ailing father that he doesn't have to go it alone, that he wants to be there for him during this time, that SYCMIOYO.

After the "reason I sing" bridge, Bono is pleading with his father not to leave him here alone, because he doesn't feel like he can make it on his own. The best he can do is fake it... you get the idea.

It's a classic Bono lyrical twist, and in my opinion, it's a part of what sets this song apart!

No, i think it's all about his dad!!
His dad was a really big opera fan and that's why Bono sings this.
As for the don't leave me here alone a bit, i think that's also about his dad, because when his dad died he had no parent left!!

Why does everyone keep comparing this song to "One"....? They're too different songs.

BrownEyedBoy said:
what's with the

"And it's you when I don't pick up the phone" line?:huh:

I think it is guilt. I think his Dad would call and Bono didn't answer and now he feels he could've done more to reach out to his father.

AEON said:

I think it is guilt. I think his Dad would call and Bono didn't answer and now he feels he could've done more to reach out to his father.

Judging from what Bono has said about his father, I'm seriously doubting that his dad was the one calling and Bono was the one refusing contact. I think it may have been the other way around, with Bono being the one trying to make connections and Bono's dad kind of being the stubborn, stand-offish one.

-Miggy Diggy Doo

Back
Top Bottom