The one song that should be on the 'Best of-' but won't...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ZOORPAMANDA: Where did yo hear that Acrobat was Bono's favorite song off of Achtung Baby? If it was such a gem, how come they never played it live? I just think there are other special songs that deserve more attention on Achtung, i.e.: The Fly, UTEOTW, Even Better than The Real Thing, So Cruel. These songs work better on the album, have a more unique sound, and the melody is, well, more melodic.

I don't know if you have heard the very early version of Acrobat on the "Achtung Baby Sessions" bootleg. I LOVE that version, and I wish they would have not toyed with it so much in the end. I adore the raw sound of it.

------------------
"You gotta put the women and children first, but you've got an unquenchable thirst for New York..."

a beautifully haunting moment on a perfect album, has meant a lot to me..almost certaintly will be ignored for the Best Of but I find it hard to imagine it without its resting spot between Ultra Violet/Love Is Blindness

[This message has been edited by ACROB@T (edited 01-18-2002).]

Originally posted by gherman:
Acrobat is great but I think that song is more for the die-hard fans. I think songs like "Ultraviolet" and "Trying To Throw..." would fit public apreciation on a Best Of for the 90's.

See, this is an idea I just do not get. If a song is a great song, then surely it is a great song period.

Same thing with the live setlists. This idea that 'oh well, they can't include this or that song, even though the songs may be excellent, because those songs are only for diehard fans'- just does not wash with me.

But no, Acrobat probably won't make it onto any second best-of record.

Originally posted by tackleberry:
ZOORPAMANDA: Where did yo hear that Acrobat was Bono's favorite song off of Achtung Baby? If it was such a gem, how come they never played it live? I just think there are other special songs that deserve more attention on Achtung, i.e.: The Fly, UTEOTW, Even Better than The Real Thing, So Cruel. These songs work better on the album, have a more unique sound, and the melody is, well, more melodic.

I don't know if you have heard the very early version of Acrobat on the "Achtung Baby Sessions" bootleg. I LOVE that version, and I wish they would have not toyed with it so much in the end. I adore the raw sound of it.

I don't recall exactly, I think I read it in an article, but its always stuck in my head because its my favourite track also.
They have used it as their rehearsal/warm up song. I have it on a bootleg, and it sounds great. I recall reading somewhere again, Bono said that Acrobat, Drowing Man and Red Hill Mining Town are never played live because they are simply too hard to play every night.
If I was a good student I would back up my argument with quotes, but Im afraid I have no idea where I read that as it was a while ago now.

Originally posted by zooropamanda:
I recall reading somewhere again, Bono said that Acrobat, Drowing Man and Red Hill Mining Town are never played live because they are simply too hard to play every night.

Blargh. Those are three of my favorite songs. Couldn't they play them live just once...for me?
biggrin.gif

Originally posted by zoomerang II:
i hope wgrywh and igwsha dont make it, even though they were singles.

Why? WGRYWH is one of the best songs off of AB. And IGWSHA will most likely make it. It was a huge hit for them and's very mainstream.

Back
Top Bottom