The "I hate Wild Honey" thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Axver said:
Timothius, what's worse, Wild Honey or Not The Girl You Think You Are?

When I had both on my playlist and Wild Honey came on, I'd think "there's only two songs on my playlist worse than this, In A Little While and Not The Girl You Think You Are". Then I took the latter out of my playlist because I simply cannot stand it.

errrgg! dont like In a Little While? are you kidding me? oh well.

yeah i was thinking about it last night as a matter of fact and wild honey is my least favorite song on ATYCLB. but when i was a freshman in highschool i played the song for my friend who was obsessed with monkeys and she loved it and thought it was so cute. its a thing we have now. so it will always hold a special little place in my heart.

also keeping in mind you cant compare all u2 songs to eachother. like ImOuttaControl said, it's just a silly love song.

The lyrics in Wild Honey are about 1,000 times better than Party Girl:

"I'm still standing, I'm still standing
Where you left me
Are you still growing wild
With everything tame around you.

I send you flowers
Cut flowers for your hall
I know your garden is full
But is there sweetness at all?"

It's not just about monkeys and swinging through trees, folks.

I'll take Wild Honey over the incredibly overrated Beautiful Day anytime.

(Edited to add I used to not get the appeal of Van Morrison at all, and then I listened to Moondance and Astral Weeks a couple of times and the light bulb finally went on. I also didn't get Wild Honey when I first heard it. Hmmmmm...coincidence?)

Last edited:
zooperson said:

errrgg! dont like In a Little While? are you kidding me? oh well.

Bono's singing is horrible, just horrible. It makes me cringe every time. Doesn't help that the lyrics are worse than Wild Honey.

The only reason I don't hate the song is the "a man takes a rocketship" verse. Depending on my mood, it either redeems the song and makes it likeable, or was wasted on the song and should've been used elsewhere. I'm currently in the latter mood.

Axver said:

Bono's singing is horrible, just horrible. It makes me cringe every time. Doesn't help that the lyrics are worse than Wild Honey.

I totally agree with you on In a little while. The song grew on me when I heard it in concert (after the whole Joey Ramone thing) but it's not his best vocal on the record.

Wild honey fits perfectly on ATYCLB.

In a little while really benefits from Bono's voice, and it's one of the best lyrics on ATYCLB.

"Wild Honey" rules.

"In A Little While" rules.

Van Morrison rules.

Monkeys rule.

"Wild Honey" is nice, I think.
"In A Little While", yeah that's very great!!! Far better than "A Man And A Woman".

For worse songs, just look at the new "album"!
There can you find lots of them!:mad:

This is an "I hate Wild Honey" thread...not an appreciation thread. :wink:

I always thought "Wild Honey" was an odd pick for inclusion on ATYCLB. It sounds out of place. Also, it sounds kind of like the Grateful Dead's "Uncle John's Band."

It's really not up to U2 album standards, IMHO, but then, I don't understand the appeal of "Party Girl" either.

thousandfold said:
It's really not up to U2 album standards, IMHO

ATYCLB is not upto U2 standards!!! Also, I think A Man & A Woman is 1000 times better than In A Little While. I agree with Axver that the only line of any redeeming quality is the 'rocketship... scatter of light' one. I've already given my 2 cents about Wild Honey.

I find it humerous that ATYCLB gets bashed for being a retread, and the 2 most innovative songs on the record seem so hated.

ATYCLB has plenty of great songs - Walk On, Kite, When I Look At The World, Grace - but Wild Honey and In A Little While are not two of them.

MrBrau1 said:
I find it humerous that ATYCLB gets bashed for being a retread, and the 2 most innovative songs on the record seem so hated.
Replace ATYCLB with HTDAAB and Wild Honey with A Man And A Woman and that statement is still true.

U2girl said:
In a little while really benefits from Bono's voice, and it's one of the best lyrics on ATYCLB.

You are kidding, right?

Bono sounds like his voice is about to croak into oblivion on that song. It's horrible and cringeworthy.

And the lyrics? Geez, if those are the best lyrics, I'd chuck out my copy of ATYCLB. Thankfully, songs like When I Look At The World and Kite show it what a song SHOULD be lyrically.

These are such brilliant lyrics:

That girl, that girl
She's mine
And I've know her since
Since she was a little girl
With Spanish eyes
Oh, when I saw her
In a pram they pushed her by

My, how you've grown
Well it's been, yeah
It's been a little while

Turn it on
Turn it on
You turn me on

Slow down my beating heart
Slowly, slowly love
Slowly, slowly love
Slowly, slowly love

:yuck:

Wild Honey's got some good lines and puts that to shame. Kind of sad, really.

I don't hate Wild Honey...i just don't particularly like it much, and never listen to it...:lol: :wink:

Axver said:

You are kidding, right?

Bono sounds like his voice is about to croak into oblivion on that song. It's horrible and cringeworthy.

And the lyrics? Geez, if those are the best lyrics, I'd chuck out my copy of ATYCLB. Thankfully, songs like When I Look At The World and Kite show it what a song SHOULD be lyrically.

That girl, that girl
She's mine
And I've know her since
With Spanish eyes
Oh, when I saw her

My, how you've grown
Well it's been, yeah
It's been a little while

Turn it on
Turn it on
You turn me on

Slowly, slowly love
Slowly, slowly love
Slowly, slowly love

Tone it down with the hostility ok?

His voice additionally strenghtens the message of the song about a man crawling back to his wife after a night out with the guys. It's Bono doing soul at his best. (it was recorded after a night in a bar after all)

Yes, those are good lyrics (all of them, not just what you quoted). Kite has a very cliche chorus, otherwise good lyrics. When I look at the world does nothing for me lyrically.
Wild honey isn't even close to putting In a little while to shame. That said it's a perfect companion to that song.

Last edited:
guys....

i love van morrisson,
i looooooooooooooooooooooove dandelion
i adore party girl....

i can't stand wild honey

Eh... I can tolerate Wild Honey. It's not one of my favourites, but I can sit through it every now and then. I think Flower Child's a better song, and that's saying something.

Wild Honey?

:barf:...just as the rest of the album.

Axver said:

You are kidding, right?

That girl, that girl
She's mine
And I've know her since
With Spanish eyes
Oh, when I saw her

My, how you've grown
Well it's been, yeah
It's been a little while

Turn it on
Turn it on
You turn me on

Slowly, slowly love
Slowly, slowly love
Slowly, slowly love

Great post, good point.

U2girl said:

Tone it down with the hostility ok?

His voice additionally strenghtens the message of the song about a man crawling back to his wife after a night out with the guys. It's Bono doing soul at his best. (it was recorded after a night in a bar after all)

Yes, those are good lyrics (all of them, not just what you quoted). Kite has a very cliche chorus, otherwise good lyrics. When I look at the world does nothing for me lyrically.
Wild honey isn't even close to putting In a little while to shame. That said it's a perfect companion to that song.
Totaly wrong... as usual...:sigh:

BonoIsMyMuse said:
Most of the time I pretend All That You Can't Leave Behind has 6 tracks. It's a nice EP. :wink:

Make it 4 for my ATYCLB EP... and 3/4 are not even on the real album... hehe...

1. Levitate
2. Summer Rain
3. Kite
4. Walk On - single version

bathiu said:

Make it 4 for my ATYCLB EP... and 3/4 are not even on the real album... hehe...

1. Levitate
2. Summer Rain
3. Kite
4. Walk On - single version

Wow, you really don't like ATYCLB!

I would've made it like this...

Beautiful Day
Stuck In A Moment (acoustic)
Elevation (with more weight to it like Vertigo)
Walk On
Kite
Peace On Earth
When I Look At The World
Summer Rain
New York
Grace (instrumental)

something like that... although I'm not sure if Summer Rain totally fits on this album.

Maybe I shouldn't post this - but I LOVE "Wild Honey". A true rarity hearing Edge and Bono on an acoustic sounding song on an album (normally we only hear this in concert). This song is, IMO, one of the highlights of ATYCLB. Plus, it showcases Bono's slowly rejuvenating voice, as he belts out some notes I haven't heard him hit since the UF era! It's not a single, but it certainly is album worthy. I can think of a ton of songs I dislike far more than "Wild Honey" - including several on ATYCLB.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom