The 'I don't seem to like the new album' thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm just not feeling it

I've listened to the album many, many times now and despite every bone in my body wanting - screaming out to love it, I just don't. I know this isn't just a knee-jerk reaction to a differnt musical style, because I have given the music a long time to sink in.

If it's just a case of which tracks I like and which I don't, it's a fairly simple breakdown for me:

'NLOTH2' is the kick that every new album should have, a hint that you're hearing something new, exciting, different and promising more.

'Magnificent' is exhiliirating and uplifting in equal measure and just a briliant piece of song-writing and musicianship.

'Crazy' is wonderful and with a lyric like "Every beauty needs to go out with an idiot", it's arguably some of Bono's best writing.

'Stand Up Comedy' is a musical tangent that could have been horrible, but ends up being a fine example of U2's ability to successfully play with other genres/styles.

However, when I listen to a U2 album and only like 4 out of the 11 tracks I hear, then I have to ask myself why this is. Sure, I know I have changed in the last 4 years in some ways as I'm sure U2 have, or anyone else for that matter. Is that why I have a problem with the album? Maybe - I don't know.

Did I expect too much from U2's next album when they were away? No, what the hell do I know about how they write an album? I don't expect anything from U2 at all because they aren't writing for me. U2 always produce a good album no matter what, but we're kinda hoping for greatness not goodness aren't we?

Would I have preferred a HTDAAB #2? NO! Categorically, no. I liked that album a lot but it's the past and should really only point to the future, not be an anchor that keeps U2 and us in the past.

Do I not see U2's need to evolve? Of course I do, because had they not done so before then we would probably have lost them nearly 2 decades ago. Achtung Baby/Zooropa is the best example of this of course and I thought they were stunning, brave records for U2 to make - I still do.

So what's my problem then?

'GOYB' was quite simply a dreadful record to launch the album for a start, attempting to emulate the way that Vertigo grabbed a slice of new U2 fans in 2004. It actually felt THAT calculated to me. Never mind the lyrics, which I'll get to later, it was a lack-lustre record that barely sounded like they had finished it. It's U2 trying to prove they can still rock, when the truth is they really don't have to do that. We know that they have transcended being merely a rock and roll band, so it's an empty gesture.

Is there anything good about it? God, yes! On some level I can love or at least appreciate almost every piece of music on this album (I loathe Unknown Caller though - God it's horrible), as they have clearly tried to give their fans and everyone else something a little different. To be honest I can do without Eno's contribution, who I fear was given entirely too much freedom on the album. If that fucker had his way he would have had his name on the cover, with "Special thanks to U2 for their contribution" buried somewhere in the credits. Where I can appreciate his input on previous albums, this could almost be Passengers' OST 2 thanks to him. It's about time he was shown the door, or given a seat at the back of the room at least!

My main problem however is Bono's song-writing, which shows none of his past consistancy and staggers awkwardly from pole to pole throughout this entire album. How can the line "Coming from a long line of traveling sales people on my mother's side, I wasn't going to buy just anyone's cockatoo" from 'Breathe', come from the same man who wrote 'Magnificent' on the same album? Sadly, for me anyway, NLOTH in terms of lyrics is an ocean of banality with just a few drops of brilliance here and there.

Conclusions?
Should U2 give it up? Jesus, of course they shouldn't and I would never suggest they should, even if I don't much care for NLOTH! For a start, it's hardly the end of the world and secondly, who the hell am I to make that determination?

Thing is, we are in uncharted territory with U2 because no other act of their age is still going, still contributing relevant and popular music and still credited by peers, critics and the industry in general. And NO, the Stones do not fall into any of those categories and you know it :D We don't know what to expect from U2 because we have no template from which to gauge them, no others with which to compare them and nobody else with the kind of freedom they have to experiment the way they have done with NLOTH.

I hope that the next album will be an improvement, although given that the songs come from the same sessions I expect another 10 or 11 tracks of the same calibre sadly. What is particularly sad for me though is that for the first time, I didn't even bother trying to get tickets to go and see them. They have turned me off so much with this album, that not even the prospect of seeing them live interests me now. Hell, even the album I have is a copy because I honestly wouldn't pay for a legitimate copy based on what I've heard.

But hey, these are just my opinions. I'm not stating them as fact, not prioritising them over anyone else's, nor suggesting that you should feel the same. You won't - you are you and I am me - vive le difference! I really hope that I can connect with U2 again some day, because I truly do love their musical legacy up til now and appreciate what they have given me in my life.

All lovers have a bit of a bust up from time to time, don't they?

Back
Top Bottom