The first U2 song where you "got it"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I grew up with U2. My Father liked them and bought all their music. He played guitar and he and my Brother played the songs by ear. To me they were always in the background, like furniture, never really paid close attention.

The song that got me isn't my favorite. The song that got me most is 'Acrobat' . My Mother died suddenly a couple years ago, I was going through a real hard time when she passed and the last letter she wrote me arrived a few days after her funeral, at the end was:

And I must be an acrobat
To talk like this
And act like that
And you can dream
So dream out loud
And you can find
Your own way out
And you can build
And I can will
And you can call
I can't wait until
You can stash
And you can seize
In dreams begin
Responsibilities
And I can love
And I can love
And I know that the tide is turning 'round
So don't let the bastards grind you down

I didn't know where that was from till a couple days ago when I reread that letter. Up till then I liked U2...Now I'm connected

I grew up in the 80's and liked the popular U2 songs from UF and JT. I lost interest when they went through Zoo and Pop phase. Then I got obsessed with the song Bad hearing it on alternative radio station regularly, which I never noticed as a teen in the 80's. That got me back into U2.

I was exposed to U2 growing up at various stages... my brother had the best of 1980-1990 but I never really listened to it.

It all really began with Beautiful Day... it really hit me over the head... but being all of 12 I just got the single. Then Stuck came out... and I was impressed (shoot me). Then came Elevation and again I enjoyed the song. Then one Saturday morning, Walk On (Brazil Version) came on Rage... this was THE moment. Granted, it took me four singles to realise it, but I immediately knew I had to have whatever album the songs were off. After a quick trip down to the shops, I had ATYCLB and I was hooked.

If I had to choose one other moment that sealed the deal for me it would probably be one Friday night a few weeks after buying ATYCLB. I had the house to myself and had hired out the Sydney ZOOTV video. I was watching it through the stereo with the volume WAY up, and all of a sudden Running to Stand Still segued into Streets... the red light, the intro notes echoing throughout my lounge room... this was the first time I ever got goosebumps listening to Streets (or probably any song for that matter). From this point, there was no turning back.

Last edited:
Beautiful Day did it for me.

I was a casual fan before that, but the lyrics in the song hit me when I most needed them during that time in my life.

I got into U2 a little late in the game. I only started to really like them back in December of last year. :reject:

So...for me, it was actually Window In The Skies. I remember I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For back when I was small, but I hadn't known it was U2 back then. Same with Pride.

Initially, it was With or Without You.

In God's Country and Streets pretty much clinched the deal tho.

Two Hearts .... I loved this song :love:

7.jpg

Definitely One Tree Hill for me. Coincidentally, the first time I heard it was on my iPod as I was driving through Joshua Tree National Park. I think that may have had something to do with it.

1981...a little video of some haphazard looking, seemingly penniless Irish lads called "Gloria"...I was only nine years old, but was immediately floored. For a lover of Duran Duran and The J. Geils Band, I instantly knew I'd just encountered something on a much higher, more refined plane.

Back
Top Bottom