The Crystal Ballroom - Song Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
"Buttoning unbuttoning her coco dress
Stopping and unstopping every cold caress"

Not bad bono, not bad at all

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

The song gets better and better with every listen. It´s really EXTRAORDINARY song. Strong influence of Daft Punk´s Get Lucky. Hook of the refrain is F*cking gorgeous. I only wish Bono would sing the verses more cool, he sounds wee bit tired.

But, WTF happened to the Edge??? While his songwriting is at his peak, his guitar attitude is at his lowest point? This is the best example. I had hard time to get all over his generic hard rock 70´s guitar riffs and now in this song HE IS TRYING TO IMITATE SANTANA or what??? So uninspiring and tacky. From the man who led the band for 35 years with his innovative and distinctive guitar style. What happened? He aspires for getting hired by some random tribute band? :doh:

This makes absolutely no sense. You think the song is extraordinary but slam the guitar solo, which takes up like 30 percent of the song.

They need to release this as a single, period. They need to go on SNL and play Every Breaking Wave, and Crystal Ballroom.

Put Miracle to rest please, you've already done the promo with that and it's time to move on.

They need to release this as a single, period. They need to go on SNL and play Every Breaking Wave, and Crystal Ballroom.

Put Miracle to rest please, you've already done the promo with that and it's time to move on.

It's that good? I can't wait to hear it next Tuesday night. I am so tempted to listen to a leaked copy (I'm in the US, so until Tuesday I consider it leaked).

I think I'm going into U2 overload!!!!

It's that good? I can't wait to hear it next Tuesday night. I am so tempted to listen to a leaked copy (I'm in the US, so until Tuesday I consider it leaked).

I think I'm going into U2 overload!!!!

It all depends what your U2 taste is. If you like the big sweeping hug the world type of thing, it may not be your thing. If you like them when they try something out of their usual box, and it works, then you will like it.

To be honest, I really haven't seen many people dislike it. It's ranged from liking it to LOVING it.

To me, THIS is the single they were supposedly searching for. It has one of the best pop choruses I've ever heard from them. I like good pop songs. I like songs that have direction and are succinct and this has it.

One of my favorite things is that all the pieces work. Adam is killing it, Larry's drums sound huge, and there's some really searing guitar in the background.

Even the standard "OH, OH, OOOH" part of the song, that I often dread in U2 songs, because they feel forced, just works perfectly and sounds great.

You've waited this long. I would hold out if you can. Enjoy!!!

It's fucking brilliant.

And for crissakes, we bitch about Edge not getting the spotlight and then when he comes out of his shell and delivers a tasty (and who cares if it's a nod to Floyd/Santana/whoever) solo that mercifully lasts more than 2 measures and during which Bono even more mercifully isn't warbling over...and we complain?!?!

The fuck outta here, seriously.

Sent from my ass crack

It's fucking brilliant.

And for crissakes, we bitch about Edge not getting the spotlight and then when he comes out of his shell and delivers a tasty (and who cares if it's a nod to Floyd/Santana/whoever) solo that mercifully lasts more than 2 measures and during which Bono isn't warbling over...and we complain?!?!

The fuck outta here, seriously.

Sent from my ass crack

I agree with you. And your ass crack.

Really? Name a U2 song that is as funky as that? Or as 70s disco. Or as far out of all of their comfort zones musically. It's a slick, shimmery pop monstrosity. And it is amazing.

I know people's personal anecdotes are derided by lesser minds, but so far everyone of all ages I have played this song for has had a wide mouthed "holy fuck" response, whereas songs like Volcano and Miracle were met with everything from yawns to eye rolls to outbursts of laughter and "okayyyy dad rock". California gets a slightly better response but Ballroom, Invisible, Iris, EBW, SFS and Troubles get genuine respect.

Volcano and Miracle are the "decent b-sides", not Ballroom and Invisible. :angry:

Sent from my ass crack

I know people's personal anecdotes are derided by lesser minds, but so far everyone of all ages I have played this song for has had a wide mouthed "holy fuck" response, whereas songs like Volcano and Miracle were met with everything from yawns to eye rolls to outbursts of laughter and "okayyyy dad rock". California gets a slightly better response but Ballroom, Invisible, Iris, EBW, SFS and Troubles get genuine respect.

Volcano and Miracle are the "decent b-sides", not Ballroom and Invisible. :angry:

Sent from my ass crack

Yep - totally agree

This makes absolutely no sense. You think the song is extraordinary but slam the guitar solo, which takes up like 30 percent of the song.

Yep, those 30 percent are awkward due to Edge. The rest is F*CKIING BRILLIANT! But wait, honestly I suspect it´s not Edge. In fact, maybe it was done by Bono. That would be the explanation why it sounds like it does...

Can you imagine the Apple launch with a single huge ass disco ball made out of fake mirrored iPhones, some sexy backup singers and bongo players? The fucking roof would have blown off and every single last chair would have been overturned with people seriously getting down.

It boggles my mind sometimes that for guys who have reportedly spent their fair share of time in the clubs, that they still have yet to figure out that one of the best ways to the music publics heart for the last, oh, 20+ years or so, is through their feet. This is the single. Period.

Sent from my ass crack

Sent from my ass crack

I'm with ya for the most part, but I don't like Invisible and I like Volcano quite a bit.

Just a side note. I put CB in my tracklisting in spot 2. It actually really improves my view of Miracle. right now, miracle seems like a typical single tacked on the front of the album. But CB makes it seem much more cohesive and makes the first 4 songs - Miracle, CB, EBW, and California, just massive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom