The Chicago DVD Appreciation Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

J_NP

New Yorker
OK , I don't think there was one of these before , And despite the dislike of some persons here , there are some things , You can't deny bout this show . I can't possibly imagine , anyone who never listened this show with a HomeTheather and not like it ....

- That Kicking ass opening with COBL
- Edge goin crazy On Electric Co
- The whole Boy trilogy
- Edge's bluesy solo on Bullet
- Great Version of Running , and Bono's voice great on it
- The Zoo Encore
- Fly As Best As Ever
- The Stripped down , Spontaneus , and terrific OoTS
- And Of Course a brilliant 40 ending the show again

There's a lot to appreciate in this show people ;)

Yep i know a lot of people on this forum don't like the DVD but I love it..

Appreciated! Great Performance!!!

I like it a lot too, better than Slane or Boston IMO. Best concert footage of this decade from them. Much better than Milan as it doesn't have that stomach churning bit with Bono talking to the crowd during the elevation intro "Milano...Bone-o" "Its okay to be uncool" "teach me to dance" and that bit where he's swaying side to side with his arms in the air. eeeuurrrggh, the worse thing I've ever seen associated with U2!
Getting away from that, Chicago rocks because of the An Cat Dubh, Electric Co and the Zoo TV section.

I love it - I think it really captures the atmosphere of this tour, and the arena shows.
My favourite part is love and peace or else. That song is brilliant live and comes across so well on the dvd.

i like the dvd but i think they could of gave a better drum sound, sounds too weak in my opinion, specially on songs like vertigo and one

You're really stretching it with this thread. The only thing I can appreciate about this DVD is that U2 are on stage.

For me, there are three things specifically that keep me coming back to this DVD.

1. The Electric Co. C'mon, it fucking rocks just about as hard as anything U2 have ever done. It's THE reason to listen to Vertigo Tour boots or hell, even to go to a show on the tour (when it was in the set, that is.)

2. Running to Stand Still. Absolutely gorgeous version, and I love the way it was filmed.

3. The Fly. THIS is the definitive version of The Fly. That's all folks.

I don't really like the way the sound was mixed/mastered. I prefer the Milano sound.

The concert itself is ok, with peaks such as the boy trio and OOTS. But technically, I just hate the video compression. Image quality is reaaaally bad.

I wasn't that impressed upon my first viewing, but it's grown on me...

I am not a big fan of watching COBL live, it sounds off to me for some reason, could be Edge hitting the high parts in the chorus...

Same goes for Vertigo, it doesn't sound right.

Miracle Drug, OOTS, ABOY and Yaweh on the other hand have become favorites of mine because of seeing them live.

40 at the end is sweet and while Zoo Station feels slower than the Zoo Tv version it still rocks and the Fly is awesome. It was the highlight of my night when I saw them perform @ Toronto 1 so this DVD always brings back memories.

I think in allot of cases for those who didn't see the tour, they might find the DVD disappointing...

gump said:
The concert itself is ok, with peaks such as the boy trio and OOTS. But technically, I just hate the video compression. Image quality is reaaaally bad.
Yep especially during red scene's you just see all the compression, terrible.

my verdict on each song: -
COBL-Fantastic-perfect version, only now and again i hear edge hit high notes during the chorus which makes it sound off, for worse version in terms of edge, listen to san diego night 2

Vertigo-sounds good only the light drum sound doesnt give it the power i think it could have

Elevation-i like how its been remade for this tour, i like it

Electric Co-i dont need to say anything it rocks

An Cat Dubh-Into The Heart-i love it and i like how it was filmed, except the part where it shows bono putting the mic down the front of his pants :ohmy:

Beautiful Day-another good version i just dont like how he goes on about chicago alot

New Years Day-Good version, but nothing special

Miracle Drug-Lush version! i love it

Sometimes-perfect version, i listen to this one all the time

Love And Peace-Good version, lacks footage of larry dancing around while drumming front stage

Sunday Bloody Sunday-Good, but too slow for my liking and i dont like the drum bit in the middle, not creative just very basic and i dont like bonos corny speach

Bullet-i dont really like this song so i skip it :|

Running To Stand Still-fantastic, great filming

Pride-Good version, again drums dont do it justice

Streets-good version, dont like bonos rant about africa though, not that i have anythign against his campaign, just it isnt the right place to do it

One-Best version iv heard, drums dont do it justice but lush guitar solo and vocals its the best

Zoo Station-Fantastic version, drums dont do it justice once again

The Fly-drums lack, but excellent version

Mysterious ways-nice is all i can say

All Because of you-another good version, drums again lacking

OOTS-i dont like this version, prefer the milan version, this is too basic

Yaweh--dont like this song too much, not a favourite, again i skip

40- brilliant version, drums sound right for once, only thing i hate is how bono constantly goes on about chicago and how "we got it on film", that spoils it i think. but overall great!

Yeah, appreciation all the way! I never understood it's lack of popularity in these forums.

I prefer Chicago way over Boston or Milan.

I like roughly half of the DVD, there are some tracks on it that I just can't sit through without getting bored/annoyed. The ones I do like, however, are:

The Electric Co.
An Cat Dubh / Into the Heart
Love and Peace or Else
Bullet the Blue Sky
Running to Stand Still
Zoo Station
The Fly
Original of the Species
Yahweh
"40"

elevated_u2_fan said:
Zoo Station feels slower than the Zoo Tv version it still rocks [/B]

It may have a intro slower , but Edge's guitar is way wilder , specially on choruses

If you asked me this question a year ago I wouldn't have had many nice things to say about it. But I recently gave it another chance and here's what I really like about it:

1. The COBL opener - I like it a lot on the DVD but in person it was insane.
2. Vertigo - Yes, Veritigo. Just wish Bono didn't purposely change the tempo of the "yeah, yeah, yeah" at the end. Bad decision.
3. Elevation - I really like the way they changed up the beginning.
4. Electric Co. - Not as special as Red Rocks but damn good. Distortion, anyone?

I am a fan of Bomb so I do enjoy the Bomb songs from this disc as well. The biggest disappointment for me is Streets.....not a good version at all.

personally I feel U2 keeps getting better and better live, but their dvd's at the same time become more & more forgettable somehow

only disappointment here is indeed that Streets isn't the highlight you'd expect it to be, but there are many great moments to counterbalance that

Great things about Chicago DVD

COBL-Fantastic opener Good Solid Peformance

Elevation- Yes it really is a crowd faveroute

Electric Co-Awesome addition

Sometimes- You could just see the emotion/feeling puring out from bono on this one with edges perfect backup vocal. Outstanding!

Love And Peace, SBS and Bullet really go well together.

Pride- Yeh peformed this well

OOTS- very stripped down and i loved it.

40- Speaks for its self..

Back
Top Bottom