The Boston DVDs sucks. - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-18-2002, 12:30 AM   #1
Bad Daddy Johnny

Local Time: 05:18 PM
The Boston DVDs sucks.

This DVD should have been much better.

I hate the cinematography, I REALLY REALLY don't like it. To many close-ups, too many crowd shots, too many quick cuts one after the other. You never get a chance to see the band play as a whole or indivdually for long.

I don't like that it's not the entire concert. I mean what's the point of leaving hours of empty DVD space? Leave on the 20 minutes or so that might have been saved.

I think the show itself was pretty good, but Bono's voice was sub-par. And the WOWY was really bad. That I can over look because you can't change what show was shot after it's all filmed and done.

But still, I think that the way in which this concert was captured was poorly done. The style in which the Sydney video was filmed has spoiled me forever. Nice long shots, wide views, steady shots that actually show the band playing, you can see the band relate to eachother, you can watch each member of the band play during several different parts on the show. I don't want to see manic cuts going back and forth between Bono running around and back to a close-up of Edge's face that fills the entire screen back to Bono in close-up. I mean this isn't MTV, don't try to make it like we're attention starved BSB fans.

The intimate/insane view of the band playing a club show for 80,000 people during Angel of Harlem and Stay walks all over the crap on the Boston DVD.

So much wasted opportunity. I hate you, directormanofthebostondvdwhomakesmewanttovomit.

------------------
This post brought to you by: Me "Don't hate me because I'm bitter."

AIM: JuanSwallow

Old 02-18-2002, 12:39 AM   #2
ONE
love, blood, life

well i like it, but i see what you mean.

------------------
-deathbear

Old 02-18-2002, 12:47 AM   #3
Bad Daddy Johnny

I'm just pissed that he had to act like he was making some kind of editing masterpiece...just keep it simple and show what the band does. Let us watch something for more than 5 seconds at once with out showing me Bono or Edge's nasal cavity. I want to see the band banging out their rockers, a little bit of sweat and muscle just makes them human. Show a few zits to us, cutting and cutting just shows that the director is an ADD case.
Old 02-18-2002, 12:53 AM   #4
I serve MacPhisto

Local Time: 04:18 PM
Overall I like it, but it dosen't blow me away the way the Sydney video does. I agree with you on the point of it not being a full concert, like that tainted it in some way because they cut out 'one'.

I think it had such momentum that began it, and almost fell off when they went into 'desire'. Then it was back to liftoff with 'bad'.

Actually that reminds me (for some odd reason) of the first Dallas show back in april 2001. I was in line in the concession for a beer behind 2 guys, and they were talking to the girl serving and asking her if she liked the band. She obviously wasn't a big fan, but they kept on, telling her to listen towards the end of the show for a song "called bad".

I never saw ZOOTV, so the Sydney video was it for me. But after seeing 4 shows last year, the Boston dvd dosen't even come close to capturing that experience. Nothing can compare to the band coming out onstage with the house lights on, to the beginnings of 'elevation'

------------------
Z69Edge@aol.com <<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>

Every dog has it's day
Old 02-18-2002, 12:58 AM   #5
I Serve Larry's Stick

Local Time: 06:18 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Johnny Swallow:
Show a few zits to us, cutting and cutting just shows that the director is an ADD case.
Check out Bono's neck during With or Without you, lol...

------------------
Such a nice day
Let it go...
Old 02-18-2002, 12:59 AM   #6
The Fly

Local Time: 10:18 PM
I just don't like that 2 shows were spliced together. Each U2 show should stand on it's own and the magic of editing should be minimal. I have the pro shot Popmart Edmonton show on video and for part of the second half the camera is just focused on the full stage. For some reason I just like that even though it sounds boring.
Old 02-18-2002, 01:04 AM   #7
The Fly

Local Time: 02:18 PM
I agree with all of your points, but I still like it. It's different and innovative. I for one think the ZooTv video is way too ammateur like, though it does capture the show. It's hard to say really. On one hand it would be nice to have longer shots and more full band angles, yet on the other, I think what Hamish has done is beautiful. He has given us a real cinematic experience.
Old 02-18-2002, 01:05 AM   #8
New Yorker

Swallow alot of your complaints are valid, but these days you complain too much. Do a thread where youre thankful for something.
Old 02-18-2002, 01:08 AM   #9
Bad Daddy Johnny

Quote:
Originally posted by brettig:
Swallow alot of your complaints are valid, but these days you complain too much. Do a thread where youre thankful for something.

I'm thankful for the freedom to complain.
Old 02-18-2002, 01:11 AM   #10
New Yorker

pfffft
Old 02-18-2002, 01:15 AM   #11
War Child

I've got to disagree with you Johnny. I think the Boston DVD is one of the best concert videos I've ever seen. With this show, you are not just watching a concert (even though it is U2), but you are witnessing an event. I thought the Bono Cam intro was great. This really gives us a sense of being right there with the band. Plus, how ofter do you get to experience walking out on stage with 20,000 screaming at you? With the DVD, you get to do that everynight (if you have no life). I also really love the way they shot Bad. All those hands raising into the air are beautiful. Great idea and great shot.

As far as the Sydney show wide shot vs. the Boston show wide shot, I think the reason they didn't do that many wides is because quite frankly, the show looked rather ordinary from a distance. ZooTV looked great from miles away. But when you're in an arena on a small stage, you may not want to go wide too often.

I do agree with you that they should have put a whole concert together. I don't know what their logic was behind that. Also, they left off one of U2's best songs ever, One. That would be a great question the next time the band is doing an on-line chat.

I think the band took a gamble with this director and I think they won, bigtime. However, it is very stylistic so I could see why some people dig it and some don't.
Old 02-18-2002, 01:25 AM   #12
I serve MacPhisto

Local Time: 04:18 PM
Hmmmmmm

Maybe we are the ones fooled here. I mean we have grown accustomed to seeing the band in a stadium with that giant stage and all of those TVs, or that giant tv, and lemons and olives and things. They have to do those wide far away shots with all the little people in between so you can understand the magnitude of the whole thing.

With the elevation setup, they really focused more up-close on the band and the fans in both the concerts themselves and the dvd. This is what we wanted, isn't it? At least this is what the media told us to want.
Old 02-18-2002, 01:25 AM   #13
The Fly

I wouldn't say the DVD sucks, but I've watched the ZooTV video about a thousand times. Yet I haven't been able to sit through the whole Elevation DVD more than once.
And why they would cut out 'One' I'll never understand.

------------------
You're my girl (I don't wanna discuss it!)
Old 02-18-2002, 01:35 AM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 08:18 AM
You guys are nuts.
In my opinion, its a brilliant concert and DVD.
Maybe Im easy to please seeing as u all find fault in it or something :/
Old 02-18-2002, 06:23 AM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I love both shows, but there's one reason why I'm more pleased with the Elevation from Boston video than Zoo TV from Sydney:

No bloody stupid words flashing across the screen during the songs! I can't express well enough how much I hated that gimmick. It completely ruined The Fly and Until the End of the World for me on the ZooTV video...
Old 02-18-2002, 07:44 AM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Location: maze of your imagination, where the streets have no name, lol
Popmart video is the best, i dont really like the Sydney video i think its very poor quality actually
Old 02-18-2002, 07:59 AM   #17
The Fly

The Boston DVD WOWY is awesome. The strain in his voice mimicks the anquish that he is feeling when he is in that song. Wonderful performance.
Old 02-18-2002, 08:07 AM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I cant watch it, hes all over that girl in WOWY on the boston DVD, its sickening!
Old 02-18-2002, 09:33 AM   #19
Bad Daddy Johnny

I really think it's dumb how he laid down with her, I don't think it fit with how the show felt but whatever.

And Sydney is their best concert video, that's why it won a grammy.
Old 02-18-2002, 09:37 AM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie

no POPMART is so