The Achtung Baby Working Tapes...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

namkcuR

ONE love, blood, life
Three things..

1)What is the difference between the 13-track 1-disc 'Achtung Baby Working Tapes', and the 3-disc 'Salome: The Axtung Beibi Outtakes'? I have the 1-disc one, I would like to get ahold of the 3-disc one.

2)Anyone know where I can get a copy of the 3-disc set?

3)What I've heard on the 1-disc one is really good. Weird to hear early versions of Lady With The Spinning Head(with totally different lyrics), North And South Of The River(with totally different lyrics), primitive versions of UTEOTW, stuff I've never heard before, etc.

You have the hear the song that is called "Back Mask" by the fans. It's on one of those disks...and it is really awesome imo. I wish they would have reworked it to put it on an official album.

1) Well, the 3-disc version just has more material on it. There are, most prominently, a HELL of a lot more versions of "Salome," particularly on the third disc. So that you know, there is also a MASSIVE 7-disc version of the "Salome" sessions; this version is disturbingly comprehensive and shows the studio process in a lot more detail. TONS of takes with minor variations, drum tracks, etc. I don't personally own the 7-disc set and have just heard the tracks over the years, so that's about as specific as I can get. There should be more information in various places on this forum.

2) Look around in the forums. You should be able either to trade or to just dl the tracks if people are willing to be generous. I'd gladly help you out, but I'm technologically impotent...sorry! :(

3) Yeah...rock on. Personally, I don't like the one-disc set simply because of the consolidation. I think that the 3-disc set is, far and away, the most digestable set out there. The one-disc version doesn't have enough of the hidden gems which are found on the 3-disc set (which is listenable and even sometimes overly-methodical for the studio-philes), and the 7-disc set is so cumbersome and unwieldly that it just gets silly, sometimes. I mean, how convenient are seven discs, you know? It's whack.

Okay. I hope that that kinda' helps...? Ha ha ha.

:rockon:

If you shout... said:
1) Well, the 3-disc version just has more material on it. There are, most prominently, a HELL of a lot more versions of "Salome," particularly on the third disc. So that you know, there is also a MASSIVE 7-disc version of the "Salome" sessions; this version is disturbingly comprehensive and shows the studio process in a lot more detail. TONS of takes with minor variations, drum tracks, etc. I don't personally own the 7-disc set and have just heard the tracks over the years, so that's about as specific as I can get. There should be more information in various places on this forum.

2) Look around in the forums. You should be able either to trade or to just dl the tracks if people are willing to be generous. I'd gladly help you out, but I'm technologically impotent...sorry! :(

3) Yeah...rock on. Personally, I don't like the one-disc set simply because of the consolidation. I think that the 3-disc set is, far and away, the most digestable set out there. The one-disc version doesn't have enough of the hidden gems which are found on the 3-disc set (which is listenable and even sometimes overly-methodical for the studio-philes), and the 7-disc set is so cumbersome and unwieldly that it just gets silly, sometimes. I mean, how convenient are seven discs, you know? It's whack.

Okay. I hope that that kinda' helps...? Ha ha ha.

:rockon:

It does help. I've already struck a trade deal with an Interferencer :wink:

Just on these, does anyone know the rough dates as to when these were done, as in pre-One or post-One?

I'm guessing pre-One... and if thats the case I'm guessing a lot of the tension and heat at the time was created due mainly to Bono piss-farting around with lyrics.

I mean Edge-wise he had developed musically: The Fly, Ultraviolet, Even Better Than The Real Thing, Until The End Of The World, Acrobat & Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses. As well as significant portions of So Cruel & Zoo Station.

Bono on the other hand had developed very little.

Was Bono lagging behind in these sessions? I tend to get that impression.

Back
Top Bottom