Studio 'Saints' on U2.com

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jim

Refugee
U2.com subscribers can hear the whole song streaming.
Sorry if this is already posted.
Cheers,
Jim

I just heared the studio version. I have to say I really don't like the song. But worse, I don't think it's U2 collaborating with Green Day but Green Day collaborating with U2. Bono has only a small part in the song, and the way The Edge plays could be done by every other guitar player. I wouldn't normally mind this, but they're gonna include it on the new greatest hits album!! So a song that has been covered by - mostly - another band will always be remembered as one of U2's best songs. :huh: :huh:

BANZAI said:
I just heared the studio version. I have to say I really don't like the song. But worse, I don't think it's U2 collaborating with Green Day but Green Day collaborating with U2. Bono has only a small part in the song, and the way The Edge plays could be done by every other guitar player. I wouldn't normally mind this, but they're gonna include it on the new greatest hits album!! So a song that has been covered by - mostly - another band will always be remembered as one of U2's best songs. :huh: :huh:

That is flat out not true. Structure of the song:

Intro 1: Billie Joe
Intro 2: Bono
Verse 1: Billie Joe
Chorus: Both
Verse 2: Bono

It could not possibly be more even, but maybe it just bothers you that Bono does not completely dominate Billie Joe. I also think the primary guitar sounds like Edge, while Billie Joe plays rhythm.

BANZAI said:
and the way The Edge plays could be done by every other guitar player.
Couldn't you say that for just about every guitar part Edge has composed? He's not supposed to be the star of this song.

bsp77 said:

That is flat out not true. Structure of the song:

Intro 1: Billie Joe
Intro 2: Bono
Verse 1: Billie Joe
Verse 2: Bono

It could not possibly be more even, but maybe it just bothers you that Bono does not completely dominate Billie Joe. I also think the primary guitar sounds like Edge, while Billie Joe plays rhythm.

I personally thought Bono completely owned Billy Joe. His voice came through much louder and stronger.

IrishDawg said:

I personally thought Bono completely owned Billy Joe. His voice came through much louder and stronger.

Yeah, that is actually true. So I really don't see how it can be claimed that Bono has only a small part in the song.

Is there going to be other versions of this song realeased?

If you listen to the original Skids version there is more guitar
work going on towards the end compared to this version plus it is at least 40 seconds less as well. Don't want to start any arguments just curious and slightly dissapionted that all.

Back
Top Bottom