Sssoo...Edge on Miracle Drug?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well I wouldnt be a Bono if I didnt make bombastic statements...LOL

Stand corrected then...

cleaning the earwax isnt a personal comment, its the way I talk...didnt yer mom ever say that to you?? ;)

cheerios

:hug: lovveu2 :hug:

Okay, I've thought it was the Edge for quite some time, but the live performance actually had me questioning that. Here's why -- the words are different (slightly). Does that seem like something the Scientist of the Family would do, or something Bono would do? Just a thought...

After listening to the live version again, I finally think it's Edge. I could never tell on the album.

The reason why many of us had a difficult time believing that it was the Edge singing is because our minds tricked us. I listened to MD over and over and the thought never occured to me that it was the Edge singing. I automatically assumed it was Bono. When I first heard that some people were convinced it was the Edge, I flatly denied it b/c my mind had already computed numerous times that it was BONO. But on careful inspection, it is clear that it is the Edge.

I think Gabriel Vox is in the exact same position as I was: having your mind trick you that it is BONO.

boosterjuice said:

Dude, be open to it!

It's most likely the Edge singing there. I've listened to the part over and over and the more I listen, the more it sounds like the Edge. I was in the exact same boat as you yesterday. I'm 95% sure that it is the Edge. Edge even gets credits for singing on the song.

LOL

nope - no way in hell

we'll know for sure when they tour, or we get some other kind of confirmation. MAybe they'll do MD live for SNL? That would set everyone strait, one way or the other.

There is a moment on the Radio 1 version, that made me think they could've both been singing together? A bit like on the last verse on the album version of SIAMYCGOO?

2. Miracle Drug (3:53)
Lyrics by Bono, Produced by Steve Lillywhite, Additional production by Carl Glanville and Jacknife Lee, Piano and additional vocal by The Edge, Backing vocal by Bono and Larry Mullen, Synthesizers and Programming by Jacknife Lee

john1800 said:
Okay, I've thought it was the Edge for quite some time, but the live performance actually had me questioning that. Here's why -- the words are different (slightly). Does that seem like something the Scientist of the Family would do, or something Bono would do? Just a thought...

I only heard the Radio 1 version once, because I haven't downloaded the mp3s that are floating about here..
But didn't he just mix up "beneath" and "below"?
Below the noise
Beneath the din

Instead of:
Beneath the noise
Below the din

Which, in fact, suggests absolutely nothing.

But I'm with the people who think it's Edge.

Go listen to a good quality copy of the Radio 1 performance, not an MP3 from the online stream. Not only does Edge sing and sound VERY distinctly different, but at one point, it seems as if Bono joins in as well.

I find it incomprehensible that people still insist Bono sings that verse. What next? The suggestion that Achtung Baby was actually released in 1980 and its first single was Gloria, a song all about Larry popping bubble wrap as a toddler?

Lucy3011 said:

I only heard the Radio 1 version once, because I haven't downloaded the mp3s that are floating about here..
But didn't he just mix up "beneath" and "below"?
Below the noise
Beneath the din

Instead of:
Beneath the noise
Below the din

Which, in fact, suggests absolutely nothing.

But I'm with the people who think it's Edge.

I was 100% sure it was Edge on the album version. However, after hearing the live version I am now only 99.9% sure it is the Edge. Why? Because Bono already owns a patent and trademark to botched/murdered lyrics and here is another example of murdered lyrics. Edge hardly does it. So perhaps there is a 0.1% chance it is Bono? Or is Bono's lyric-botching sickness so contagious that even The Edge has it now?

Cheers,

J

Van Diemen's Land is not the best example of The Edge's voice for comparison (it is a good performance, it just doesn't sound like your typical Edge vocal). I had this same argument on another board-- I offered up Edge's solo Sunday Bloody Sunday from the Popmart tour. First the dude told me "you're deaf if you think that's The Edge on that version of SBS," then after I stopped laughing and produced the video he was just like "oh, well maybe that is The Edge."

Ok, so...changing the debate slightly, according to an earlier post in here, it states in the album sleeve that Larry is also on....where do we think HE is on the song?:wink:

Aardvark747 said:
Ok, so...changing the debate slightly, according to an earlier post in here, it states in the album sleeve that Larry is also on....where do we think HE is on the song?:wink:

Most likely backing vocal with Bono on the "oh yeah" part during the slide solo.

Probably right...he's not really WELL known for his legendary backing vocals is he?:wink:
I give you...."I feel numb, I feel numb, I feel numb...:yawn:

love him really...:larry::wink:

I think Bono was a bit behind him there too...when we rehearsed it last night it sounded a bit better when I backed off the mic and sang along albeit quieter..

ok, so done with that...

NOW: LARRY - where is he singing?

My theory:

the third and quieter "miracle drug" in the second chorus (ie before the breakdown)

and in unison with Bono during the breakdown doing the yells in the background...

thoughts??

For those of you who think it's Bono singing:

You're absolutely right. It's as clear as...

The common assumption that Pavoratti sang on Miss Sarajevo is rubbish. It was obviously Boy George.

Justin Timberlake sang lead vocals on the ENTIRE last Metallica record.

The three tenors actually lipsync at their concerts, to a tape of Steven Tyler, Robert Plant, and Axl Rose singing the operatic masterpieces.

One other thing...

OF COURSE IT'S THE EDGE YOU FOOLS!! BONO AND EDGE HAVE DISTINCTLY DIFFERENT TIMBRES TO THEIR VOICES!!

It's Paul McGuinness! He always wanted to be the 5th member!

And that comment about Edge's solo getting in the way of his singing -- during recording, tracks are often laid down separately! He would NOT be playing at the same time they were recording the vocals!

You guys who think Bono sang that verse should listen to the Edge's "Sunday, Blood Sunday" or PopMart karaokes 'cause I don't think you know what his voice sounds like.

He does sound a bit like Bono, so you have to be familiar with his voice to tell the difference sometimes. It's very clearly him on "Miracle Drug," if only because he isn't singing out of his range like Bono does all the time now.

For fucking fucks sake, it's Edge.
I suppose it's not Edge singing on 'Seconds' either?

Bono and Edge can sound very similar, nothing is more evident then on the song 'Seconds'. That doesn't mean it's not him.

Maybe in the future weeks we can combine these threads about Edge singing on MD with the myth of Full Metal Jacket still sitting in a vault somewhere as the mother of all rock songs.

Back
Top Bottom