SOE - Part 8 - iHeart Beach CLips - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-15-2016, 07:10 AM   #1
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:42 PM
SOE - Part 8 - iHeart Beach CLips

New thread time.

Current thinking is that a single, and possibly an album, in mid-late September. The latest date proposed for the album is 17 November.

The big news from the last thread is the emergence of some Beach clips for what we are assuming is the first single. A poppier tune that is provisionally being called 'The Best Thing' or 'You're the Best Thing About Me'.

Cleaned and merged beach clip (from the two floating around) can be found here:

https://clyp.it/dhiz2d22

Old 08-15-2016, 08:10 AM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 06:42 AM
there's also this variation on the beach clip, which some argue is some kind of fan made remix

https://www.facebook.com/U2ByU2/vide...9268380017703/

personally, I think it's legit, and indicative of an attempt at a "Get Lucky" style single

Old 08-15-2016, 08:27 AM   #3
War Child

Local Time: 12:42 PM
Valencia are at it again:

Tiempo de rumores y grabaciones de videoclips.. Próximas semanas muy importantes para #U2 #SOE #Songsofexperience

Time of rumors and recordings of music videos... Next few weeks very important for #U2 #SOE #Songsofexperience

Is that an old or new photo on their twitter page?
Old 08-15-2016, 08:48 AM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

That's from Q magazine - the issue that had Bono on it, recently.

Valencia are probably just guessing. We know they've got a single coming in a few weeks, so yeah, they'll be filming a video.
Old 08-15-2016, 08:48 AM   #5
War Child

Local Time: 01:42 PM
Old. Taken from Q magazine.
Old 08-15-2016, 08:49 AM   #6
War Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by Registered Dude View Post
That's from Q magazine - the issue that had Bono on it, recently.

Valencia are probably just guessing. We know they've got a single coming in a few weeks, so yeah, they'll be filming a video.
Cheers RD!
Old 08-15-2016, 09:09 AM   #7
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 07:42 AM
Confirmed rumour: if U2 are to release a single/album, they will promote it in some fashion #U2valencia
Old 08-15-2016, 09:25 AM   #8
War Child

Local Time: 11:42 AM
in the clip that I heard, I can't make out any guitar (acoustic or otherwise)....is that what everyone else is hearing? I don't mind the melody but it has to have a prominent guitar line otherwise I might struggle with it.
Old 08-15-2016, 09:33 AM   #9
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by purpleblackeye View Post
in the clip that I heard, I can't make out any guitar (acoustic or otherwise)....is that what everyone else is hearing? I don't mind the melody but it has to have a prominent guitar line otherwise I might struggle with it.
There's definitely a (albeit subtle) guitar riff in the u2byu2 clip. It's following the chord progression, quite muted, no effects or anything... i.e. very different from typical chimey delay Edge.

You can hear it quite clearly during the 'instrumental' part (where there's a funny effect remixing Bono's vocals).
Old 08-15-2016, 09:34 AM   #10
War Child

Local Time: 11:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
Confirmed rumour: if U2 are to release a single/album, they will promote it in some fashion #U2valencia
On Jimmy Fallons show.
Old 08-15-2016, 03:54 PM   #11
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Registered Dude View Post
there's also this variation on the beach clip, which some argue is some kind of fan made remix

https://www.facebook.com/U2ByU2/vide...9268380017703/

personally, I think it's legit, and indicative of an attempt at a "Get Lucky" style single
Agreed, I think it sounds exactly like U2 trying to go all in/no compromises after 2016 pop. Maybe wishful thinking on my part, though...

Personally I think it's more dignified and rational than bastardized 'classic U2 things'+pop sheen like SFS and EBW (and I don't hate either song, I just think they should have picked their direction... EBW, either ape Adele all the way ('single version') or scratch the Tedder chorus and make a big atmospheric meandering melancholy U2 song. SFS, scratch that horrible chorus from that excellent verse. Etc.).
Old 08-15-2016, 04:49 PM   #12
Refugee

Yeah, I think i agree with that sentiment. If the finished song is as pop as this beach clip lets on, then some might argue (I'm sure critics will) that U2 are 'giving in' and following trends rather than defining them. And they'd be right, i guess. It might be more 'admirable' to do something more unique.

But there's something cool about them going all in, saying "fuck it, we want to do a dance song, so we're doing a dance song".

Given how hesitant they can be to commit to a sound (Eno & Lanois Morocco, or 2013 Danger Mouse), and how often the mishmash of several styles can sound like a half-way house rather than a bold direction (to me at least), there's something refreshing about how this beach clip doesn't seem to give a fuck about being what it is. It's happy to be a dance tune, and it seems to be exactly that.
Old 08-15-2016, 08:16 PM   #13
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamietheEdgefan View Post
Yeah, I think i agree with that sentiment. If the finished song is as pop as this beach clip lets on, then some might argue (I'm sure critics will) that U2 are 'giving in' and following trends rather than defining them. And they'd be right, i guess. It might be more 'admirable' to do something more unique.

But there's something cool about them going all in, saying "fuck it, we want to do a dance song, so we're doing a dance song".

Given how hesitant they can be to commit to a sound (Eno & Lanois Morocco, or 2013 Danger Mouse), and how often the mishmash of several styles can sound like a half-way house rather than a bold direction (to me at least), there's something refreshing about how this beach clip doesn't seem to give a fuck about being what it is. It's happy to be a dance tune, and it seems to be exactly that.

This whole thing reminds me of the Killers releasing Human as the lead off Day & Age. The most unashamed dance track in their catalogue, it was wildly different to the rest of the album, but it worked. Now, of course I don't know if the whole album sounds like this or not, I am assuming and recent comments of rawness lead me to believe the situation is similar. I actually don't give a shit if it seems like pandering - I just want it to be good. I feel positive about this album - more so that their actions appear to indicate a degree of confidence in the work that we haven't seen since the ATyCLB release.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
Old 08-15-2016, 08:33 PM   #14
Refugee

If the single is as dancey as the Facebook video, I'd be down to give it a shot. Reminds me of Pop, but without the excessive production that I thought drowned out some good melodies.
Old 08-16-2016, 01:09 AM   #15
War Child

Local Time: 01:42 PM
A full on dance track is what they aimed at with Crystal Ballroom. It was quite gutsy for U2. But it ended up a b-side... So let's hope they go all the way with this one. Even if it's different from the rest.