Soe 26 - ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Still the same really. Really enjoy it instrumentally. I doubt I'm ever going to rate present-day Bono that highly for either performance or lyrics but this is fine. I've listened to it about 5-6 times, not feeling the need to either rush into another listen or to avoid it. I do wish it was on Spotify so that I didn't have to make the effort to go to Facebook.

:shrug:

I've only listened on Facebook. You can hear every instrument easily, and with the exception of a few short parts, the crowd noise is not at the front of the mix. Some posters here seem way too distracted by a bit of clapping.

I've listened more, but I think I have remained far more in fanboy deference than you have - have to admit that your reaction is better than I'd hoped for, and that has to say something in itself. No one can claim this. Isn't instrumentally and structurally interesting for them, and that in itself is a win of late

:shrug:

I've only listened on Facebook. You can hear every instrument easily, and with the exception of a few short parts, the crowd noise is not at the front of the mix. Some posters here seem way too distracted by a bit of clapping.

As I was saying. Its not the clapping. The quality is sub par. It could be facebook. I am not saying its a terrible misfortune, just that it dilutes the enjoyment. Seems like a fine song the more I listen to it.

I've listened more, but I think I have remained far more in fanboy deference than you have - have to admit that your reaction is better than I'd hoped for, and that has to say something in itself. No one can claim this. Isn't instrumentally and structurally interesting for them, and that in itself is a win of late

Anybody who had me in their pool for a predictable negative reaction must be disappointed. :wink:

I listened to the song again this afternoon and it definitely has a freshness about it that other recent U2 hasn't had. It doesn't sound stale like The Miracle does, nor is it cumbersome like Boots. I'm cautiously optimistic I won't be hating on this in a couple of years.

As I was saying. Its not the clapping. The quality is sub par. It could be facebook. I am not saying its a terrible misfortune, just that it dilutes the enjoyment. Seems like a fine song the more I listen to it.

I don't really expect great audio quality from a Facebook live video. I can see how it might be a bit off-putting for some listeners. But other people here have definitely been acting like the crowd noise drowns everything out, and it sure doesn't.

Anybody who had me in their pool for a predictable negative reaction must be disappointed. :wink:

I listened to the song again this afternoon and it definitely has a freshness about it that other recent U2 hasn't had. It doesn't sound stale like The Miracle does, nor is it cumbersome like Boots. I'm cautiously optimistic I won't be hating on this in a couple of years.

I don't really expect great audio quality from a Facebook live video. I can see how it might be a bit off-putting for some listeners. But other people here have definitely been acting like the crowd noise drowns everything out, and it sure doesn't.

It doesn't, you are right. Very excited to know that you like the song. It gives me hope, because one of my best friends (who's probably a bigger u2 fan than I am but not on the interwebs) wont give the time of day to their new material, and seeing as you like it, there may be a change this time. The last song he liked was probably from HTDAAB, and tore Boots a new one when it came out.

As for the quality, I am not saying that it's a dealbreaker (though it was for the only non u2 person I played the song for, and I know that is a poor sample size) and I am certainly no audiophile, but it does take a little away from the appreciation of the song, and that's a little frustrating.

I don't really expect great audio quality from a Facebook live video. I can see how it might be a bit off-putting for some listeners.

The audio on the Facebook video is low bitrate (64K) and in mono, so it's no wonder the sound quality is shite. I'm hoping the video shows up somewhere else with better audio quality, but it's at least listenable as is.

This is gonna sound ridiculous to many of you, but I think there's a big chance I'll enjoy this "live" version more than the studio version. Audience reactions and claps add a lot of energy for a song like this, I think; studio version might sound a bit too clean and polished in comparison. Though audio quality will obviously be a lot better, so that's a plus.

This is gonna sound ridiculous to many of you, but I think there's a big chance I'll enjoy this "live" version more than the studio version. Audience reactions and claps add a lot of energy for a song like this, I think; studio version might sound a bit too clean and polished in comparison. Though audio quality will obviously be a lot better, so that's a plus.
I get your thinking,probably because it's the live context we have first heard it in. I do hope they haven't chopped the balls off it in the studio!

I feel the same way preferring a live track over studio. Honestly listening to this made me feel like I was listening to a live DVD mix/performance which 9 out of 10 times I prefer over a studio cut. One main difference here with Blackout versus say the I&e Paris show- the crowd sounds are a little more in your face versus more subdued recorded in a larger venue. They mixed the audience sounds to feel like you are in the crowd. Reminds me of being at an actual show. I don't like canned audience tracks added to songs but this seemed pretty good, natural.

I dont mind the clapping or it not being polished. I actually want the production to be a bit dirty, it's that kind of song. A song like LTTGYA should be polished IMO

i reckon B-man has set up the lyrics just so he can slip in a sneaky "you're a con, Don" :D

I think I prefer 99.9% of U2's songs live then recorded anyway. Think it's not the best of recordings and a live version from the tour next your will be awesome

It still sounds bland to me, I'm hoping a version with improved audio quality will prove me wrong.

So what do we think?

1. The Blackout
2. You're The Best Thing About Me
11/12. The Little Things That Give You Away

Could be wrong of course but seems possible.

Confirmed track list:

1. The American Soul (Of James Brown)
2. The Blackout
3. Summer Of Love (on the South of France With My Wife)
4. You're the Best Thing (About Me)
5. Earth 2030
6. Tightrope
7. The Light At Home (That Never Goes Out While I'm Away)
8. The Showman (P.T. Barnum's Song)
9. Red Flag Day
10. Much More Better (Than The Real Thing)
11. Instrument Flying (In a Coach Seat Next to My Hat)
12. The Little Things That Give You Away

Bonus tracks on Superb Deluxe Edition:
13, Landlady (The Ballad of Leo's Mother)
14. Love is All We Have Left (if You Ignore Bastard Child Leo)
15. Where the Shadows Fall (Chile)
16. Civilisation (Is a Better Place Now That You're in it With Me)

You last visited: 01-14-2015 at 06:54 PM

And my last post was probably 2013.

Hey, I think the song is great. But why does U2 insist on videos like this? Leave it up to the imagination on what level Bono and Larry don't give a shite anymore. Don't show it to the world. Kind of ruins it for us long term fans.

We've said it for years, the best thing U2 could do is put out an album where they don't try to make a single. Just don't. Let the hipsters discover it deep down buried in the internet somewhere. Mystery and discovery make great music and even better music fans.

But the song/sound does work for me, as long as I don't look at the video.

Bono keeping both middle fingers raised for the entire show

Maybe somebody was challenged to say something obviously wrong and see how much of an interference meltdown it could cause

There is something to be said about not doing performance videos anymore. In almost forty years, there was only a small span when they were cool. Now they are not. They havent been for more than a decade. Plus everyone hates bono. Plus performance videos suck anyway, unless its a rarity in a band's catalogue or when you have vertigo-type visuals (maybe not even then).
They should just make good videos where they are largely absent. This is a young sounding track and does not do much for the acutely ageist society we live in when four dads are seen rocking out. They should just make Stan Lee type cameos and be happy with that.

Confirmed track list:

1. The American Soul (Of James Brown)

2. The Blackout

3. Summer Of Love (on the South of France With My Wife)

4. You're the Best Thing (About Me)

5. Earth 2030

6. Tightrope

7. The Light At Home (That Never Goes Out While I'm Away)

8. The Showman (P.T. Barnum's Song)

9. Red Flag Day

10. Much More Better (Than The Real Thing)

11. Instrument Flying (In a Coach Seat Next to My Hat)

12. The Little Things That Give You Away

Bonus tracks on Superb Deluxe Edition:

13, Landlady (The Ballad of Leo's Mother)

14. Love is All We Have Left (if You Ignore Bastard Child Leo)

15. Where the Shadows Fall (Chile)

16. Civilisation (Is a Better Place Now That You're in it With Me)

Where the fuck is Fresh and Furious. I am freshly furious about this omission. U2 are done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom