Soe 26 - ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No matter what they say, "Invisible" was supposed to be the first single from SOI. They had a massive rollout for it which included a Super Bowl commercial, a tie in promotion with RED AIDS charity, Jimmy Fallon performance, etc. SOI was supposed to be released in April or May of 2014, and the tour was to begin in September 2014. No matter what revisionist things you've heard, that was originally the plan. They could've back out of "Invisible" due to the Super Bowl/Charity tie in, so they had to go through with it. SOI came 8 months after the first "single".

Let's wait until next Wednesday, it sounds like we're still definitely getting "Best Thing". Maybe they'll at least give us a release date.

They never once said invisible was of SOI though, they have with the blackout and now TBT which they are saying is "the lead single from upcoming album songs of experience" they go any other way other than release this album then they will be a complete laughing stock, they have put it all out there

I also think that we may be a little delusional thinking that they are hunkered down focusing on the general public's instant reaction to these first two songs.

Usually a plan is in place and you don't get to do the autopsy til the full cycle has completed. Like Rattle and Hum, POP/Popmart, or SOI.

They aren't huddled around their phones looking in the comments section of their FB live feed, and then throwing their hands up and saying, WELL, duecejiggalo975 hated the guitar in The Blackout and says he has given up on us!!! The album is getting pulled!!!!

Last edited:
Deuce-Bigalow-Male-Gigolo-08-4.jpg

Sheesh, these guys. IMO the instagram description sounds like it implies an entirely new recording, not just new elements being added. The most frustrating part to me is that I'd really just like to hear the version they've labored over for a couple years, not the one they recorded in a couple days after the fact. I get the logic, obviously they feel it's an improvement, just always a little disappointing when it seems like stuff they presumably put so much time into crafting might never be heard. Another fear is that second guessing themselves could ultimately cause them to release something that's actually not as good, which again, would be a shame after all the time they've spent. But it's all subjective, I suppose. At this point there have been numerous examples of of this process both backfiring and succeeding, so who knows. It would be cool if they put out some of the alternative mixes like they've done in the past.

Also, re: album delay concerns, I do find it funny that The Blackout video is shot in a very similar style to the Invisible video, right down to the particle-y effects on the band members. Let's hope it's not a bad omen. :wink:

No matter what they say, "Invisible" was supposed to be the first single from SOI.

I personally could believe that Invisible was intended to be lead single of SOI and even perhaps the opening song of the SOI shows. Then they trapped it in a cage and hung it in the middle of the show LOL

So Invisble becomes an introduction to SOI very much like Blackout has now been dubbed a Song of Experience but not the lead single...OK. Seems like the audible they might have called with Invisble/ Super Bowl single has now reached over the scope of these two or more albums. Blackout seems like it would be a fitting first single for SOE & a great point to continue where SOI left off. If you compare the 2 songs Invisible & Blackout, the song titles, visual elements of the videos and the lyrics (you can't see me but you will/ we learn to see in the dark), seems like it would've been a good plan in many ways if Invisble & Blackout were truly the first singles.

So, I thought to myself, this Songs of Experience, and U2 cancelling thing is a made up story. Designed to deflect from the fact that U2 did a terrible job releasing their last album....:rolleyes:

The mad thing is, and I am very guilty of being paranoid today, is there isn't actually a story about U2 delaying or cancelling anything [emoji23]

Wasn't the whole myth that the oscar loss put them off releasing the album. If I remember right invisible and ordinary love came out around the same time didn't they ?

I don't believe that theory at all. No way was they ever ever gonna beat Disney and the frozen track. Probably the biggest Disney track and maybe the biggest movie soundtrack ever. They had no chance. About as much chance as Connor mcgregor had last week :)

I'm abbreviating...KUEDIWHUDLJWS938 is too difficult to type...:yes:

Anyhow mate, we're gonna get a new U2 album this year...album news on Wednesday or not...:D

I hope you're enjoying a pint (if you're of age) and relaxing on this Labor Day (US) Holiday weekend!

A pint is going down quite nicely here in the U.K. Thank you, enjoy the weekend mate [emoji106][emoji481]

The Blackout finally hooked me.

I've listened to it over and over today. I get it now. I really enjoy it.

Nice.

I have to admit to some guilt over the freak out. Apols for stirring things up.

I'm still not 100% - it is u2 after all, but let's just hope it is a track list change or something small.

What if...Lanois AND Eno called Bono's special phone and said they were so impressed with The Blackout that they would ALSO like a chance to produce the record. But cannot do so until they are free. Later this year. And since they are not mixers/engineers, they would need to start again.

Would this be good or bad news?

(because this is a more likely scenario than an album with a single release in September being delayed until 2018. If the single gets pulled? Then start pulling the alarms)

I'm not worried. They're in their Mercy-like God walked in the room phase where they hope to remove a great song from the album that we shouldn't hear about this time. It's cool.

I'm not worried. They're in their Mercy-like God walked in the room phase where they hope to remove a great song from the album that we shouldn't hear about this time. It's cool.

They will remove the Blackout, and when a fan asks Edge about it in ten years he will ask "how do you know about that??"

Damn you guys really lost it today, lol.

I'm not worried. Maybe they are tweaking when they announce the album. Would be a bummer as it would make sense to have all the info come out next week, but you never know what's happening behind the scenes with these dates and decisions.

In other news, I think I'm liking Blackout even more the more I listen to it. The verses, pre-chorus, and build up to the final chorus are really damn good and honestly chart some new ground for the band. It's super exciting.

Just slip out the back, Jack, make a new plan, Stan
Don't need to be coy, Roy, just listen to me
Hop on the bus, Gus, don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee, and get yourself free :hmm::hmm:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom