SOE 25 - The Freakout

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice to hear your thoughts. I totally agree. I love TCB, and they took the groove of a song like that and just killed it with the bass, and guitar definitely was much more raw than we have heard in a long time. Listen to 1:40 to 1:55, and hear that squacking scratching Edge guitar in there. Not something we got on SOI.

The verse and bridge i think is where this song shines.

Also the intro and coming out of the bridge to final chorus is brilliant.

Agree with your last 2 points there

Re: Vertigo comparisons, this is certainly not as catchy. But it probably won't annoy detractors/casual fans of the band as much as there's no "yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah" type part.

The drum break bit is the best thing theyve done for a long while. Sounds like an Achtung Baby outtake which is no bad thing.

Lots of Adam in first half. Like the false ending. Wish I could make out the full lyrics. Shut up crowd! Where was this made? Anyone know?

Very solid song, really dug it.

As a rock tune it's "better" than Veritgo and Elevetion maybe? But i doubt it will hit as hard on the radio. Kinda reminded me about the heavier stuff from AB/Zooropa/Pop..

SoE will probably be better than SoI and i really liked SoI.

That was fucking awesome. Really kickass song. Not sure why they're choosing not to use The Blackout as the lead single cause that should've be blowing up radios 27 minutes ago. Times have changed and it would never do what Vertigo did but this song is a rock song and a dance song. If they do it right it will be a mega hit live.

so, first impressions and all and just one listen through on my stupid little headphones, but i found that incredibly impressive. really engaging, lots going on the verses, only the chorus is a little "dad rock" -- but, hey, they're dads and all.

i think good.

I think it's official now - the "being born" clip from a year ago is the end of the middle 8 of "The Blackout" before the third chorus starts.

I've got most of the lyrics together.

??? ... earth
A meteor promises its not gonna hurt, yeah
Earthquakes always happen when you're in bed, Fred
The house shakes
Maybe it was something I said, Ned

Go easy on me
Go easy on me, brother
Go easy on me
Go easy on me now

When the lights go out
Throw yourself about
The darkness where you learn to see
When the lights go out
Don't you ever doubt
The light that we can really be

Statues fall and democracy is flat on its back, Jack
We had it all, and what we had is not coming back, Zach
A big mouth says the people they don't want to be free, for free
A blackout is just an excuse ...???... we see

Go easy on me
Go easy on me, brother
Go easy on me
Go easy on me now

When the lights go out
When the lights go out
Throw yourself about
The darkness where you learn to see
When the lights go out
Don't you ever doubt
The light that we can really be

When the lights go out
Oh, oh
When the lights go out
Oh, oh
When the lights go out

When the lights go out
Blackout
It's clear who you are will appear
Blackout... no fear
So glad that we are all still here

When the lights go out

I recorded it at work and i had jackasses IM'ing me and calling me during the song, so now i have pings and rings in the song... :doh::down:

Anyone have a clean version?

During the initial viewing I was put off kind of by the repetitive chorus but now I find myself singing it as I walk around the building at my job. Damn U2 damn you.

Yes the best since Vertigo, but not as cheesy as Vertigo. This one is cooler.

have to agree. I think this is Vertigo quality, but has a darker more serious tone which i love. This is on par with Vertigo and beats Elevation, kills Miracle and crushes Boots to a pile of dust...

It's hardly The Edge's best effort, but I think the guitar is alright! It does its job; it really is a bass and drums song overall, and the guitar does nothing to distract from that.

Also, this really sounds like a show opener. They haven't done something this groovy since Pop.

"Statues fall"... Ha! What timing with all the Confederate statues being taken down since Charlottesville (which I might add came after this song was recorded).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom