SOE 21 - It comes down to this...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So there's a post on the U2start forum from someone who was invited to hear new music backstage.

http://www.u2start.com/images/upload/1f067d02e4d162978d2a8ba0415948b6.jpg

Heard 5 new songs.
All very guitar heavy, "rockers".
Red Flag Day was exciting in particular.
Single in September, but they haven't decided which one yet. I hope this means they have a bunch of strong tunes, rather than struggling to find a 'hit' (like NLOTH).

So it sounds like SoE will be 'heavier' than what we've heard so far from TLTTGYA, The Best Thing, or the synth-driven 'Get out of Your Own Way' that RD mentioned.

Not sure what this means for the July single rumour, although I guess the same applies (this guy could have just been referring to the 'lead', 'proper' single in September, not this semi-detatched July one. Or it could just be cancelled. I feel like we'd have heard a bit more buzz at this point if it was happening next week.)
Interesting. I want some new music already.

Sign me up for some rock which doesn't remind me of Elevation, All Because of You or Boots.

I was more interested in a dancier album as rumored, to be honest. I love The Bomb but I don't want another straightforward rock album from them.

I don't care what style the album is, as long as it's GOOD. I just want to like the songs.

(But please not a ballad-heavy album.)

Last edited:
I was more interested in a dancier album as rumored, to be honest. I love The Bomb but I don't want another straightforward rock album from them.

I get your feeling on this. My hope is that maybe some Andy Barlow influence got in there and we get heavier guitar songs but with some dance/electronic tinges that will set it apart from Bomb, which is probably my least fave album.

Although i will take a guitar heavy, more raw album over a ballad heavy one these days.

I don't care what style the album is, as long as it's GOOD. I just want to like the songs.

(But please not a ballad-heavy album.)

Ha! just saw your post after mine. Glad I'm not alone in this thought. Can't take the cheesier ballads. EBW is an exception if you put that in the ballad category.
A modern rock sound with a more free and out front Edge is great by me.

I don't mind midtempo ballads. I just don't want an album of Songs For Someone.

completely agree. Midtempos like When I Look At the World, California or even OOTS I can handle, not my very favorites, but they were unique enough to keep my attention. I tire of songs like Stuck, SFS, SYCMIOYO, etc...

If it's guitar heavy, I hope that Edge has gone back to his creative ways versus trying to find his inner Jimmy Page.

I don't even mind his classic echo/bells, in fact I think his style is quite gorgeous. But I've heard enough of Vertigo/Boots/Miracle to know that's not really his thing.

The Fly is two notes, but sounds like a fucking monster.

If it's guitar heavy, I hope that Edge has gone back to his creative ways versus trying to find his inner Jimmy Page.

I don't even mind his classic echo/bells, in fact I think his style is quite gorgeous. But I've heard enough of Vertigo/Boots/Miracle to know that's not really his thing.

The Fly is two notes, but sounds like a fucking monster.

THIS!
I know we won't get anything Discotheque style. But another 3 note riff that is insanely good. Bring it Edge!

Let's be honest the july single rumour just didn't make sense when it was paired with the December album release rumour. 5 months gap between single and album. Just didn't add up and didn't seem likely.

Now the September single December album release sounds a lot better and more likely. Just over 2 months gap makes a lot more sense.

Let's be honest the july single rumour just didn't make sense when it was paired with the December album release rumour. 5 months gap between single and album. Just didn't add up and didn't seem likely.

Now the September single December album release sounds a lot better and more likely. Just over 2 months gap makes a lot more sense.

The US leg closes this weekend (Cleveland) and the Europe leg opens next weekend. Not enough time to talk up the new single or really rehearse it (by U2 standards). July didn't make any sense.

Now the Europe Leg ending August 1st and the 3rd Leg opening Sept. 3rd makes a ton of sense to put out a single.

The U2 train is rolling now on all cylinders and putting a new single out would only add to the hype U2 has going for it right now.....CHOO CHOO!!!

What's everyone's opinion of Lucifer's Hands? I wonder if that's any hint on where they're headed.

Seeing it was based on an instrumental they were playing in 2010, I doubt it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom