Slane DVD show review

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Slane_Brain

Babyface
I have just got back from my local cinema after watching U2 live at slane, while its still fresh in my mind I will give you my first impressions and highlights:

From the outset the whole concert has a real 'live' feel to it, the sound is brilliant and it ls really wired and energetic.

The way the pictures are edited, cutting between conventional concert footage and shakey, blurred crowd shots and panoramas gives it an energy and immediacy, it feels like you are actually there in the front row .The whole show has a different feel to Elevation Boston DVD, I definately prefer Slane in comparison as it comes across as somehow more spontaneous and definatley more emotional.

Songs that stood out for me were:

UTEOTW- Bono and Edge duelling to the crowd was entertaining, Edges guitar sounded fantastic in this, raw and powerfull, it felt like they got into their stride here and shifted up a gear.

Wake up Dead Man- This was a real suprise and it fitted in well with the rest of the show, its only a little short number but thinking about the timing of it with Bonos father dying and the emotion of the homecoming it came across as quite a personal tribute from the band.

Desire- Just sounded cool in a sort of semi acoustic version and all the band playing at the tip of the heart. Not the sort of song you would expect a reworking of but it was pretty effective and gave a new bluesy,slightly sexual feel to it I think.

All I Want is You- This should definately be played more often, one of the highlights of the show for me, excellent with all the crowd singing along, a refreshing song and bonos vocal was superb, he really hit the top notes and it was a very powerfull performance. Good intro to streets as well

Streets- What can you say? does it every time for me. On some of the songs you can tell Bonos voice isnt what it was 10 years ago, but it doesnt matter because he can lift these songs with the sheer power of his voice. Its epic stuff and it probably makes him sound more passionate and raw as a singer now than when he had that effortless quality to achieving top live vocals a few years ago . Great atmospherewith the crowd bouncing along as well

WOWY- Shame all ye who want to banish this from U2s setlists, Its an absolute classic and still sounds superb, actually same for NYD and BTBS, you cant ditch all your crowd pleasers...

One- Hairs standing up on back of neck time, tough song to sing in the circumstances, great vocal, great guitar - made me sit up in my seat again. Love it

I could go on and on, all the songs were brilliant and it was a good setlist IMO, only Stuck sounded a bit odd in that context. All the band seemed to be really 'into it' and lapping up the adoration, there were some nice moments throughout - Bono looked like shedding a tear a few times, Edge did the finishing riff to Streets with his eyes closed, Larry grinning like a loon most of the the time and Adams trademark frownsmile...

A great, great show, cant wait to buy the DVD now. Even if you have Elevation Boston this is still worth having, providing as it does, one of the highlights of the tour and one of U2's landmark concerts. I left the cinema with a huge grin on my face too and may have embarassed my mates occasionally as the temptation to get 'over enthusiastic' during the performance was difficult to resist. My overding thougths were 'My God I CANNOT WAIT for next year!!!!', U2 Tour 2004 cannot come soon enough and this DVD gives you the perfect taster for what lies ahead, dont hesitate in rushing out next week and adding it to your collection!!

Thanks all

Oliver

Yep I agree with all u said, It was amazing! I am really looking forward to the tour...

Was there many people in the cinema u went to? cos I was suprised that there was hardly anyone in there.

didnt think it was on at local cinemas! thought it was on at the main places like london,manchester,birmingham ect? who cares its out tomorrow and i have home cinema!

God this sounds so awesome, I cant wait! Tomorrow I am hoping to get into the local theatre to see this here, but so far its near impossible to get tickets. :(
BLS thats so cool you get to see it on the big screen!

Back
Top Bottom