Rate The Official Albums + 1-sentence comment on each

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Refugee
A bit of an obvious topic, but always interesting with obsessive fans such as on this site. Rather than talking about the possible-albums that could have been, let's just focus on what is! So, please rate each of the twelve officially and widely-released (non-compilation; non-reissue; non-EP; non-Passengers; non-download only) albums -- use a 5-star scale and write 1-sentence to sum up the album as you see (hear) it. Here we go (as you'll see, my tastes are quite conventional):

alb001-01.gif

Boy ****
Wonderfully sharp post-punk debut which probably exceeds in quality the band's musical ability at the time.

alb002-04.gif

October ***½
Grandiose, ambitious 2nd effort which is clearly a product of a rushed band, but becomes fresher and more likeable with age.

alb003-04.gif

War ****
Strong, hard-hitting breakthrough that was stronger on melody and composition than the previous two -- hasn't aged quite as well, however.

alb004-04.gif

Live: Under A Blood Red Sky ****
Ultra-effective mini-live document succeeds on every level, albeit it freezes the band in flag-waving arena rock for eternity.

alb005-13.gif

The Unforgettable Fire ****½
New producers and less broad strokes result in timeless album of new colours and textures.

alb006-07.gif

The Joshua Tree *****
Ambition + Craft + Songwriting + Discipline + Rootsy influences, all in perfect balance = Masterpiece.

alb007-14.gif

Rattle & Hum ****
Mixture of soundtrack, live album, and excellent studio cuts results in dissonant listenting experience, but when they're on they're as good as any band has ever been.

alb008-06.gif

Achtung Baby *****
More of an image and a lyrical redux than a musical one, the return to post-punk sound + Euro soundscapes with Lanois and Eno + lots of time spend crafting it = 2nd major Masterpiece.

alb009-01.gif

Zooropa ****
Nice addendum to ZooTV tour somehow doesn't achieve its own strong identity compared to the albums that frame it, but this very uniqueness serves to make it lighter and in some ways more enjoyable than most other records.

alb012-07.gif

Pop ***½
All the songs are good, but the weight of expection after a long break + the confused identity of the project + the many producers + the changing music scene at the time = very focused, but strangely uncomfortable listening experience of slightly unfinished, badly produced songs.

alb016-13.gif

All That You Can’t Leave Behind ****
Nice set of pop-friendly tunes + return to cleaner production + some 80s-esque guitar tone results in satisfying commercial comeback.

alb019-01.gif

How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb ****½
Slightly unfocused set, but the sheer strength of the powerful songs and the great melodies make an enormously impressive and hard-hitting collection, even if it breaks no real new ground.

All by U2 standards, of course

Boy: **** - Exceptional debut album, with many bright ideas, proving how smart the four (especially Bono and Edge) were.

October: ** - Some good ideas, but would have been much better with more time and less chaos.

War: **** - Showed that U2 isn't tied to one type of music, helped Bono gain his current identity, and provided and excellent selection of criminally-underrated songs.

The Unforgettable Fire: *****1/2 (yes, that's five-and-a-half) - A beautiful masterpiece, one of U2's two masterpieces; I love how Irish this makes me feel, and it has BAD!

The Joshua Tree: ***** - An excellent album, but I really can't listen to the songs unless they're live; somewhat overrated by the media.

R&H: ***1/2: A nice collection of songs, but nothing extraordinary, and doesn't communicate as an album as well as TUF and TJT.

Achtung Baby: ****** (that's six) - No words can give this justice.

Zooropa: ***** - Stunning, brilliant; U2's smartest album.

Pop: ***** - Would be the best album ever if they had got it right; I love the sarcastic but beautiful theme of it; far from techno, except for the first three tracks.

ATYCLB: 1/2 - Incredibly boring by U2 standards, and has absolutely zero of the depth (except a bit in Kite, I guess) that should be found in U2 albums.

HTDAAB: ** - Produced COBL and the awesomeness of the Vertigo Tour, which gives it two more stars than it would deserve if it didn't have COBL.

FYI, these are all by U2 standards... by most standards, ATYCLB would be about ten out of five for me.

Boy: 3.5
Good if flawed debut containing moments of pure brilliance in the transition from An Cat Dubh to Into The Heart and The Ocean.

October: 3.5
What many see as a sophmore slump actually is an underrated rock album that, more than Boy, announces that one of the finest artists in rock have arrived.

War: 2.5
War is a real disappointment for such a brilliant cover and title in that after the opening trio the album fails to reach those levels of reach and political power.

TUF: 4.5
In many ways U2 at their best as they a few times defy conventional song structure and rock and roll for a work of art that stands as a musical rarity that people would not hear again.

TJT: 5
U2's masterpeice that while definitely fulfilling, feels incomplete with so many unique, almost stand alone songs.

R&H: 2
The mix of live and studio songs dooms this soundtrack with jarring effect.

AB: 4
Great album with poor production that's greatness isn't in the songs but classic moments and intros.

Zooropa: 4
U2's most creative album that like Achtung Baby has a few really poor songs making it a better EP.

Pop: 3.5
Pop is one of the great "lost" albums in that so much of the record isn't really understood by the band yet.

ATYCLB: 1
The only meaning pop on this album is the sound of U2's career going up in smoke.

Bomb: 0
The single worst album by an all-time great artist.

Boy: 5
Awesome.

October: 4
Pretty awesome.

War: 4
Awesome first half.

The Unforgettable Fire: 4.5
Awesome.

The Joshua Tree: 5
Awesome.

Rattle and Hum: 3.5
Awesome-ish.

Achtung Baby: 5
Awesome.

Zooropa: 5
Awesome.

Pop: 5
AWESOME.

All That You Can't Leave Behind: 5
Awesome.

How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb: 4
Mostly awesome.

Boy 4
Excellent debut CD

October 3
Only two standout tracks to me, my least favorite U2 album

War 4.5
If they had a song stronger than Red Light or The Refugee I think this would easily be a 5.

The Unforgettable Fire 4.999
Another excellent album, but just something lacking that prevents it from being a masterpiece to me.

The Joshua Tree 5
Perfect

Rattle and Hum 4
Great new songs, live songs are okay

Achtung Baby 5
Perfect

Zooropa 4.75
If the studio take of Dirty Day were like the live version, ditto Daddy's Gonna Pay, then I think this would be 5/5.

Pop 5
Perfectly imperfect

All That You Can't Leave Behind 4.5
Great songs, great songwriting, uplifting.

How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb 5
I think it's one of their best and nobody is going to tell me otherwise.

Boy 2.5/5

It has potential but U2 has yet to learn the crafts of songwriting.

October 2

Awkward and misses both the charm of Boy and the strength of War.

War 4

The break out album, would be a 5 with slightly stronger second half.

UF 4.5

First time working with Eno and Lanois, and Bono begins emerging as a songwriter and moreso as a singer.

JT 5

No introduction needed.

RaH 3

Mix of live and studio, U2 overdoes the Americana influences. Bloated and overlong.

AB 4.75

Possibly their tightest album but JT slightly edges it out for more great songs.

Zooropa 3.5

Another mid-tour quickie like their 88 output, more of an album though.

Pop 2

Bloated and overlong, doesn't work as neither an album or collection of songs.

ATYCLB 3.25

Mostly thinks to the great first half, but it fades later.

Bomb 3.75

A strong collection of songs, and to these ears their finest output since AB. Would be a higher score but I feel it lacks the U2 classics that JT, AB, War and UF had.

Boy
sevenmi3.jpg

Not great, but solid.

October
sixbi9.jpg

Shat on a lot, which it doesn't much deserve.

War
eightqx2.jpg

Heaps good.

The Unforgettable Fire
nineqw7.jpg

Highly deserving of the widely coveted nine Felixes.

The Joshua Tree
eightqx2.jpg

The second half is better than the first.

Rattle and Hum
fivetr6.jpg

Studio mostly good, but the whole thing's a bit of a laugh.

Achtung Baby
fivetr6.jpg

No sir, I don't like it.

Zooropa
nineqw7.jpg

Crazy, man!

Pop
sixbi9.jpg

Okay.

All That You Cunt Leave Behind
twonp4.jpg

Lame.

How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb
twonp4.jpg

If it were any other band, I never would have bought it.

Boy ***
Full of youthful vibrancy and innocence, the band make up for their inexperience with plenty of gusto and sheer bravado. U2's debut still packs a punch.

October **
More tentative and uncertain after the self-belief of their first album, the doubt and confusion of the band is clear, but its amazing how such a young band could produce something with as much mystery and depth as the title track.

War ***
More sure-footed amd agressive, the album lacks finesse but more than makes up for it with raw power. Produced 3 U2 classics and the much underated and sadly never performed Drowning Man, Bono's most mature vocal to date.

UF ***1/2
Ethereal and airy, a real contrast to War. The huge drums and angry guitar have been put away to be replaced with something more soothing and buoyant, there's far more hope on this record. Plus it's impossible to hate any album that has Bad.

JT *****
Still their most accomplished album IMO, epic, earthy, intimate and polished, u2 are brimming with confidence and inspiration, lyrically and melodically the band have never been so resonant, the songs are accessible and commecial yet also full of depth and complexity. U2 at the top of their game.

R&H ****
Although it has a scrap book quality I still like it, the live tracks show how feiry and energetic the band were on stage and the studio tracks are spectacular. All I Want Is You is in my top 5 U2 songs of all time.

AB ****
Not since JT had U2 sounded so eager to prove themselves, this is full of primal energy and power, the band's hedonistic side had full reign in EBTTRT, The Fly and MW, but they hadn't forgotten the more fragile emotions in One, So Cruel and Love Is Blindness (my favourite track on the album). For maybe the first time U2 managed to mesh frivolous themes with weighty subject matter into a cohesive whole.

Zooropa ***1/2
Surreal and strange, this could be their most bizarre record, the big anthemic choruses and Bono's searing vocals are much more subdued, almost subliminal, atmosphere is everything on this record, but Stay remains the heart of the album.

Pop ***1/2
A slightly confused collection of songs but more familiar and earth-bound than Zooropa. U2 tried to tap into the techno/dance beats so popular in the mid-nineties but lacked the vision and risk to pull it off completely successfully. Tracks like IGWSHA, Please and IYWTVD sound half-baked but when it works, as on Mofo, SATS, LNOE and Gone, it really works.

ATYCLB ****
Taut, economical and fresh, as always U2 are at their best when eager to prove themselves and this speaks on a band determined to demonstrate what a relevant force they still are in the music industry. For me Kite is probably the best song on the 2000's.

HTDAAB ***
A disappointment after ATYCLB for me, the direction which seemed so fresh in 99/00 seems a little stale here, with the band unsure of the next step. Not a bad album but creatively uninspired by U2's standards for me anyway. Vertigo and Sometimes are still pretty compelling though.

I think I said more than a sentence. :reject:

BOY: 8.5/10
Very catchy, extremely well produced in contrast to later albums.

OCTOBER: 8/10
Not as good as Boy overall, but a good follow up--especially considering how quickly the turnabout between albums was.

WAR: 9/10
Has a few of my favourite songs by U2 on it (NYD, LAS, DM, THBAO, SBS) and was the last truly great album (in terms of the mixing and production values).

THE UNFORGETTABLE FIRE: 9.5/10
Absolutely stunning songwriting, despite its blurriness.

THE JOSHUA TREE: 9.75/10
U2's best album--could only have been better if it'd been a double album and had a bit better mixing.

RATTLE & HUM: (Studio songs=8/10; live songs=5/10) 6.5/10
Could have been much better choices of live songs--would have been much better if the studio songs and live songs had been seperated.

ACHTUNG BABY!: 8.5/10
Has some of U2's most overrated material on it (ahem, One) and the production/mixing on the album is really bad (even if it's what U2 was going for--see my description also of the mixing on Zooropa), however some of the tracks are real gems.

ZOOROPA: 7.5/10
Would have been better if they hadn't decided to neuter it of rock and roll--production is the same as Achtung Baby in that it's not good (mixing isn't very good, sounds trashy, way too much reverb, Bono's vocals needed to be "dryer").

PASSENGERS: 6/10
Though it's not a true U2 album, I felt 80% of it was filler--Your Blue Room is one of my favourite U2 moments of the 90s, though.

POP: 8/10
One of U2's most consistant albums of pop songs, though there are some slips due to a lack of time to "finish" the album.

ALL THAT YOU CAN'T LEAVE BEHIND: 6.5/10
As I only really enjoy two or three songs off this album, it has to rate pretty damn low, right? I do love Beautiful Day, though.

HOW TO DISMANTLE AN ATOMIC BOMB: 6.5/10
This album has some very solid songwriting buried under the shittiest production to ever adorn a U2 record (let's turn everything up all the way, guys! That way it'll be louder than anything else on the radio and therefore we'll stand out! ...why not just remaster the singles louder for the radio???)

Will never, ever understand the "unfinished" obsession people have on here about Pop, nor the blatant abhorrence for the last two albums.

Boy ****
Fantastic, rocking and raw debut from four still wide-eyed lads, containing some of their best tracks to date

October ***1/2
Again, raw, and no major deviation, but still a good listen, with a few hints of what was to come, a shame the lyrics were stolen by groupies

War ****
Very top heavy but contains some absolute classics that will stand the test of time and live favourites, combining stronger lyrical content with emotion

The Unforgettable Fire ****1/2
Despite a few bogus tracks gets a high mark for the sheer brilliance of a number of songs, a big step forward, producers used to great effect

The Joshua Tree *****
Combined scintillating song-writing with heartfelt stories of experiencing a new land, also has a number of perfect songs

Rattle and Hum ***
Doesn't work as an 'album', per se, more of a soundtrack, but still some mighty fine songs to come as U2 became more familiar with America

Achtung Baby *****
Don't buy this bad production, I don't hear it, has deep themes of love, loss, tragedy, and a general bittersweet feeling juxtaposed with an awesome collection of songs

Zooropa ****1/2
Really, really cool, with a few longer tracks and a magnificent output considering they were touring at the time, one of my favourite listens

Passengers ***
About ten or so tracks that can be great to listen to, including some really good songs that deviate from the more conservative U2

Pop ****1/2
12 great, huge tracks, each with a life of its own, starting as your party and then turning dark, with emotion still present

All That You Can't Leave Behind *****
My guilty pleasure, this album is pure perfection for me, with downright classics that just always make you feel great

How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb ***1/2
Hasn't aged well, though there's still a bunch of songs on here that remain great, though here I can notice the production

Zooropa : ***** It's their Masterpiece!

Sorry....I couldn't make a list...

BOY (7/10)
Nice debut. Plenty of strong songs throughout.

OCT (7/10)
Good follow-up almost as impressive as Boy.

WAR (8/10)
First classic! Angry and political... U2 at their best!

UF (7/10)
Nice atmospheric album but is missing essentials like Love Comes Tumbling.

JT (10/10)
Perfect!

R&H (7.5/10)
I love this album. The studio songs are really really good and the live material is not that bad. But there are better live versions out there.

AB (10/10)
Perfect!

ZOO (8/10)
So different, unique, interesting. U2 pushing their boundaries!

PASSENGERS (7/10)
Absolutely fantastic and mindblowing in parts but about 30% of the album is really difficult to get into!

POP (9.5/10)
Pushing those boundaries even further! This is a classic in my eyes. I never tire of this album. It stops short of a 10 rating though cos Please is missing the awesome solo!

ATYCLB (6/10)
Nice album of pretty melodies but sounds too tame compared to their past and lyrics are not as good. Several of the alternate versions sound better than what ended up on the album.

HTDAAB (6.5/10)
Good album of many strong songs throughout but the production kills it! Cranking the volume up to 11 was a terrible idea.

Pop: 5
AWESOME.

AWESOME in caps so clearly this one's the winner! ;)

Boy 7/10
Great anger and "edge"to this album

October 5/10
Only the song October really grips me

War 7/10
Another great angry album.

Unforgetable Fire 6/10
Bit over rated in my books but solid.

Joshua Tree 9/10
Great song after great song.

Rattle and Hum 8/10
Some top quality songs on there.

Auctung Baby 9/10
Just a great album. For Acrobat alone it's pure class!

Zooropa 8/10
Seriously under rated messed up, mixed up album of some brilliant moments.

Pop 8/10
Another really under rated one in the media that just has some great songs.

All That You Can't 10/10
The masterpiece in my opinion. Just pure chill out, kicked back, brilliantly flowing album.

HTDAAB 8/10
Has great songs like All that you can't has but it lacks it's heart.

Boy: 8.5/10
Youthful, fun, bristling rock n' roll with loads of ambition.

October: 7/10
Inconsistent and messy, but features a number of amazing songs and more atmosphere than most of their albums.

War: 9/10
Angry, bitter rock music that manages to show musical variety and lyrical growth.

The Unforgettable Fire: 6.5/10
Brilliant first half, middling, lukewarm second half; could use some stronger sequencing and more songs.

The Joshua Tree: 10/10
A perfect synthesis of the American southwest by Irishmen: also a classic.

Rattle and Hum: 8/10
Fantastic studio songs, competent live songs, and no cohesion whatsoever.

Achtung Baby: 8.5/10
Terrible production battles it out with some of U2's coldest and darkest material to date.

Zooropa: 10/10
Wonderful in every area; challenging, thoughtful, experimental.

Pop: 9.5/10
Outside of a couple of clunky tracks here and there, it's perfect; attacks the listener with every genre the band can manage and lyrics that are, for once, as confrontational as they are uplifting.

All That You Can't Leave Behind: 7.5/10
Rough sequencing and lukewarm singles attempt to stifle the rest, which manages to be simultaneously catchy and thought-provoking, but even the second half has its share of clunkers.

How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb: 8.5/10
Lack of cohesion and irritating production are the only thing that drag down this otherwise excellent set of songs.

Boy - 6/10

The bold emergence from a group that had more desire and passion than wherewithal and ability.

October - 5/10

Forced and cluttered but a more expansive and ambitious effort than the debut.

War - 10/10

As spiritual enthusiasm segued into political urgency, the band exploded into mainstream relevance with catchy rhythms and sharp tongues.

The Unforgettable Fire - 9/10

A foray into sonic experimentation that produced not only the band's staple anthem but also its signature chiming guitar sound.

The Joshua Tree - 9/10

A collection of epic songs that combined the assuredness of the first three albums with the progressiveness of the fourth buoyed by lyrics that were restrained, romantic, and relatable in their dualistic connotations.

Rattle & Hum - 7/10

In an effort to capitalize on and surpass its previous success, the band took its act to the silver screen and, insodoing, obscured a worthy follow-up of original songs inspired by the musical roots of the American south and midwest with bombast and what some critics dubbed as egotistical delusions of grandeur.

Achtung Baby - 10/10

A masterfully theatric reinvention of the band's music and image consistent with the alternative rock explosion of the early 90's.

Zooropa - 8/10

A fusion of the band's newly polished alternative rock sound with modern atmospherics and subtle dance influences that began to alienate some early fans while continuing to energize others.

Pop - 7/10

The culmination of a decade of musical exploration that introduced the European club scene in the catalogue and, despite offering dazzling tracks like "Discotheque," "Last Night On Earth" and "Gone," steered the band further off course into futile spectacle than the Lovetown era.

All That You Can't Leave Behind - 7/10

The band rediscovers its pop sensibility with a simplistic yet hauntingly powerful collection of contemporary rock songs that foreshadowed the 9/11 landscape.

How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb - 4/10

Grammy awards seemed to become the priority as the band released an uninspired and lethargic album that retarded the austere beauty of the previous album to bland radio fodder.

AirSeven's post

Great post by Airseven! I have a few comments:

War - 10/10

As spiritual enthusiasm segued into political urgency, the band exploded into mainstream relevance with catchy rhythms and sharp tongues.

I love War too (I scored it 4 out of 5), but somehow it seems less relevant with the passing of time, whereas a record like Boy seems to, if anything, gain stature with time. But I'm thinking I need to go back to War and re-listen to it with fresh ears...

Rattle & Hum - 7/10

In an effort to capitalize on and surpass its previous success, the band took its act to the silver screen and, insodoing, obscured a worthy follow-up of original songs inspired by the musical roots of the American south and midwest with bombast and what some critics dubbed as egotistical delusions of grandeur.

I congratulate you on getting this point into one sentence!! Comment of the year!

Pop - 7/10

...despite offering dazzling tracks like "Discotheque," "Last Night On Earth" and "Gone," [Pop] steered the band further off course into futile spectacle than the Lovetown era.

I tend to agree with you here... although most people on this site seem to think the whole PopMart thing was the 2nd coming of the Messiah...

Grammy awards seemed to become the priority as the band released an uninspired and lethargic album that retarded the austere beauty of the previous album to bland radio fodder.

Easy, Cheesy!! You lost me there. For years, the fans clamoured for the guys to rock out again, and they did. There are a lot of high-octane, energetic rockers on HTDAAB... and you called it "lethargic"....

Boy - 4
Great start with plenty of energy. Early indicators of epic U2 sound evident on I Will Follow and Out of Control.

October - 2.5
Sophomore effort not as tight, but Gloria rocks. A couple sonic gems mixed in.

War - 4
Several pure classics early, then stumbles in the second half.

The Unforgettable Fire - 4
Layered landscapes appear with Bad, Pride, and A Sort of Homecoming as the stand-outs. This sonic complexity bumps up otherwise medicore songs scattered throughout the album.

The Joshua Tree - 5
A work of imagery that delivers all the way through. Everybody has personal favorites besides the "big" songs.

Rattle and Hum - 3
Several classic album numbers mixed with "hit or miss live" tracks. Wish it was fully developed with studio tracks only.

Achtung Baby - 5
Greatest re-invention ever, that delivers in image and sound. Remains unique and timeless.

Zooropa - 3.5
Fresh and unexpected. Some songs grow into classics while others are quirky sidenotes.

Pop - 3.5
Deep lyrics bolster unfinished musical ideas. Songs really take off live.

ATYCLB - 3.5
Epic majesty returns, but not on every track. POE and Grace sink this score a few notches.

HTDAAB - 4
A refinement of the previous album in songcraft. Solid tracks throughout, but without a cohesive feel.

Boy - 6/10

The bold emergence from a group that had more desire and passion than wherewithal and ability.

October - 5/10

Forced and cluttered but a more expansive and ambitious effort than the debut.

War - 10/10

The Unforgettable Fire - 9/10

A foray into sonic experimentation that produced not only the band's staple anthem but also its signature chiming guitar sound.

The Joshua Tree - 9/10

A collection of epic songs that combined the assuredness of the first three albums with the progressiveness of the fourth buoyed by lyrics that were restrained, romantic, and relatable in their dualistic connotations.

Rattle & Hum - 7/10

Achtung Baby - 10/10

A masterfully theatric reinvention of the band's music and image consistent with the alternative rock explosion of the early 90's.

Zooropa - 8/10

A fusion of the band's newly polished alternative rock sound with modern atmospherics and subtle dance influences that began to alienate some early fans while continuing to energize others.

Pop - 7/10

The culmination of a decade of musical exploration that introduced the European club scene in the catalogue and, despite offering dazzling tracks like "Discotheque," "Last Night On Earth" and "Gone," steered the band further off course into futile spectacle than the Lovetown era.

All That You Can't Leave Behind - 7/10

The band rediscovers its pop sensibility with a simplistic yet hauntingly powerful collection of contemporary rock songs that foreshadowed the 9/11 landscape.

What he said.

Boy ****
A fantastic debut by a very young band, still sounding fresh and exuberant after 30 years.

October **
A sloppy, unsure second album, with enough likeable energy to save it from total disaster, but really lacking in memorable songs.

War ***
A punchy, angry blast of a record, which unfortunately didn't date all that well and comes off a tad shrill.

The Unforgettable Fire ****
The most complete and otherworldly album experience U2 have ever produced, with Bono really coming into his own as a vocalist.

The Joshua Tree ***½
Suffers from a dip in quality in its second half, but there's no taking away its Ultimate U2 Album status, thanks to -those- singles and the way it catapulted the band from big to HUGE.

Rattle & Hum **½
A mixed bag, with some outstanding original songs and live performances rubbing shoulders with some truly cringeworthy material.

Achtung Baby ****
Ultimate U2 Reinvention album; not all songs are fantastic and some suffer when compared to their live counterpats, but still contains some of the best work U2 have ever done.

Zooropa **½
Very hit-and-miss, has some of U2's most adventurous material however the drop in quality between the best and the rest is just shocking.

Pop ***½
A messy, undercooked album with some woeful clunkers, still crackling with energy and weird charm of its own.

All That You Can’t Leave Behind ****
Though it runs out of steam somewhat by the end, it's a fantastic collection of simple but powerful, bittersweet songs.

How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb ***½
Quality material that somehow doesn't gel into something greater than the sum of its parts.

Easy, Cheesy!! You lost me there. For years, the fans clamoured for the guys to rock out again, and they did. There are a lot of high-octane, energetic rockers on HTDAAB... and you called it "lethargic"....

I meant "lethargic" in the sense that I don't think the songs go anywhere. It's like they jump out of bed and stretch but then lay around the house all day. They sound half-finished. Miracle Drug and Crumbs From Your Table feature shining guitar riffs but then hit a wall at the chorus and drag on aimlessly. There is something special in each song on that album but it never comes to fruition. Very few payoffs.

Zooropa **½
Very hit-and-miss, has some of U2's most adventurous material however the drop in quality between the best and the rest is just shocking.

I agree with this. It is an inconsistent album. While I like it very much, it might have been more effective as an EP on the heels of Achtung Baby. A proggy (and optimistic) version of the ethereal Jar Of Flies.

True, Zooropa is their most uneven work.

:down:

That title has to go to October. The b-side level With A Shout and the demo level Is That All placed next to Gloria and Tomorrow? Yeah, I don't think there's any question on this one.

October has the "hard second album" syndrome plus U2 had far less experience at the skill of songwriting.

Zooropa isn't uneven. Zooropa, brilliant. Babyface, catchy as hell, fun to sing a long to. Numb, brilliant. Lemon, brilliant. Stay, brilliant. Daddy, cool as hell. Some Days, fun, quirky. First Time, pretty, a bit safe. Dirty Day, brilliant. The Wanderer, beautiful.

Definitely.
U2, by the time of Zooropa, ought to do track selection better (the songwriting improved so that helps) and reduce the hit and miss nature of that particular record.

Zooropa isn't uneven. Zooropa, brilliant. Babyface, catchy as hell, fun to sing a long to. Numb, brilliant. Lemon, brilliant. Stay, brilliant. Daddy, cool as hell. Some Days, fun, quirky. First Time, pretty, a bit safe. Dirty Day, brilliant. The Wanderer, beautiful.

If U2 had saved both Babyface & Some Days for LP 12 I'm sure the same people who praise these below par songs as fun & 'quirky' would be slating them as boring pop drivel that should have been b-sides.

Back
Top Bottom