Question about AB radio airplay

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ericb

The Fly
I was 11 when Achtung Baby was released and was not into U2 yet. The only songs I remember hearing on the radio in the US at the time and for years later were Mysterious Ways and One. I seriously did not know The Fly, Until The End Of The World, Even Better Than The Real Thing, and Wild Horses until I bought the album. I know Mysterious Ways and One were both top 10 hits, Even Better Than The Real Thing and Wild Horses made it to #'s 33 and 35, and The Fly only made it to #61. How much do you remember these songs getting airplay? Was it a decent amount? I'm guessing it was kind of how ATYCLB is now. Years from now, everyone will know Beautiful Day and probably Stuck In A Moment, some might know Walk On, and Elevation won't be remebered as a radio hit, even though it got a little airplay when it first was released.

I do remember hearing MW and One back then, mainly cause I only listened to Adult radio while I was in the car, and these songs were huge crossover hits. BD was the same, and Stuck seems like more of an Adult Contemporary song. Meanwhile, Elevation did better on the Alternative charts. I think the big song will be BD, and Elevation, Stuck, and Walk On may be remembered too, though not as much.

------------------
Change is the only constant

Achtung Baby got a ton of airplay on alternative stations. Actually, most U2 records got a lot of radio attention on alterna-stations. The Joshua Tree as a whole was definitely a crossover hit between alterna and contemporary adult stations - just about everyone had that record in their collections. Not so much with Achtung Baby though. That record (with the exception of One which was a big hit all around) seemed a little more alternative radio friendly with it's driving tempos, dashes of industrial flair and explosive guitar riffs. Also, U2 were big on college radio and were high up on the charts then as well. Zooropa, even though Numb was a hit, fell pretty low in terms of airplay. Pop is/was a different story though. Discotheque and Staring at the Sun got a lot of airplay, but soon disappeared after U2 made their live appearance. *shrugs* I think overall slacking sales of POP greatly affected their time on the radio even though both of those songs were worthy of public attention after U2 were done touring. The problem doesn't necessarily lie with the band's music, it lies with the short attention spans of the music listening audience. Unfortunately the songs on Zoo and POP just didn't have the staying power as songs on previous releases.

To be honest, I hardly ever hear U2 on my ol' alternative radio station anymore. Hell, I can hardly be arsed to turn the radio on. It seems as though my alterna-station has taken Metallica, Korn and Puddle Of Mud under the wings of "alternative" these days. And although those bands have their own right to be pimped on the radio, they hardly fit the standard of what alternative used to be (whatever that was) The only time I hear U2 if I bother turning on the radio anymore is when my alternative station decides to have a "flashback lunch" or if I change the dial to an adult contemporary station. Elevation did get some airplay on the "hip" radio stations, but hardly as much as Limp Bizkit. Go figger.

As far as ATYCLB, I feel that Foxxern's assertions are correct. With the last leg of U2's tour, the hype will die down a bit and we'll be left with the memories of Beautiful Day and Elevation getting their props as milestones in U2's career. The true test of staying power will be clear as soon as U2 pack up their gear and head back to the studio.

*shrugs*

I remember hearing MW, but I did not know who it was by for the longest time
smile.gif

------------------
"...and a thousand slimy things did crawl upon the slimy sea..."

Originally posted by Bloodied:
Of course, that was because I would have been 6 at the time

Heck, I was 10 and I didn't know who it was. Took me a while to figure out it was U2, and even then I didn't connect them to any of their other songs. Oh, the anger of having led a sheltered youth.

------------------
Change is the only constant

I know One got a LOT of play. I was around 7 I guess.. but it was one of those songs that I could recognize and sort of sing along to but I didn't really know who it was by... of course until by brother got achtung baby in 94 or so and I went "heeeeey! that's THAT song" I don't remember any other AB songs ont the radio in their own time, but I've heard Mysterious Ways and Until The End of the World a lot on the radio.

I remember hearing Mysterious Ways on the radio and that's about it. I feel certain that the songs from All That You Can't Leave Behind are getting a great deal more airplay than anything from Achtung Baby. AB is my favorite U2 album, but I don't think it was user friendly enough for commercial radio. ATYCLB is very user friendly.

I still hear UTEOTW around here, occasionally Who's Gonna Ride your Wild Horses too on certain stations...

------------------
"Edge, it's you she wants...it's you!...I know him! He's in my band!" Bono - Zoo Boston, 1992
- Kathleen -

Back
Top Bottom