OFFICIAL - U2.Com - New Album Out In 2009 Pt. 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it's this:

Some in the band think the album is very good. Others don't think so, therefore they are going to try and work out their differences before putting it out.

They don't want a repeat of Pop (undercooked songs). I am one of the few who didn't like the 2003 versions of Bomb songs, and glad they did rework some.

I do not like that we have to wait even longer. It's just too bad, but we can't do anything about it.

We need to have faith that the band know what they're doing.

I would like to think that...but can't. There were too many reports from "sources close to the band" that heard some of the songs saying that they were "amazing" and "the best ever". I could be wrong or forgetful in my old age, but I don't think that was the case with the 2003 material. It was more like "Edge is on a rampage" and "He's found himself" (total bullshit)

I for one agree with you on the reworked 2003 material. The lyrics were basically the biggest problem. But the main issue at hand was that Bono was barely in on the sessions because he was out trying to save the world. Thats why they had to rework them a bit.

It doesn't make sense now because he's been in on the process almost the entire time. So I'm guessing that they're just overthinking it. Maybe a double album? maybe its the fact that they don't want to flood the market with their other remastered CD releases. IDK, it could be anything...but I don't think its because the music they have now is bad or needs a complete overhaul.

Those are just my thoughts on the subject.

U2: New album out the 18th of November | u2star

The administrators at u2.com had a countdown to the release date of Nov 18th??? Did they? :huh:

Yes, one of them had a countdown. But her (?) profile states she's not working for Fanfire so that may have been based on the same rumors and quotes that we've read.

It would be nice to know exactly why we have to wait beyond 4 years, with all the hype and "it's done" talk.

It's not as if they haven't done anything in the past 4 years. Remember the tour? 18 Singles with new songs? U2:3D in which some band members put a lot of work? 5 Remasters, all with bonus disks? Dvd releases? Spiderman musical ring a bell? One offs (Instant Karma, Ronnie Drew, Mandela...)

And that's beside having families, time off for vacation and non U2 related side projects. Helping/collaborating with other artists, Clarence Hotel, U2 Tower, whatever else? I'm getting tired by just typing all that. And I read nowhere that their single obligation in life is to produce albums and tours.

And I read nowhere that their single obligation in life is to produce albums and tours.

But, as musicians, it should be their #1 priority. :shrug:

This is why people get upset when they see Bono trying to save the world instead of finishing the record. And, unlike most bands, those one-offs are rarely accepted here as a bonus of any kind; instead, a lot of people just consider them an impediment of some kind to the album being finished. And believe me, no one would be as rabid for a new album if we didn't have to wait 4 years every single time.

To be honest, I don't mind when the album comes out (within reason, of course - ie spring 2009 at the latest) - as long as I still get to see them live next year. But, would U2 ever release an album in, say March 09, and then go out on tour pretty much straight away? (Assuming that they'd fully rehearsed, of course!)

Like many others who've already posted, I think that the album is finished but that the band are overthinking the running order. Too many songs to choose from? Just stick the 50-60 titles in a hat and then pull out 13 or so - there's the album! (Ah, if only it were that easy...)

ok so how many months does everyone think we're looking at now.....5? or less do you think?

It depends on the real reason why they decided to postpone. Bono was rather vague.

If they're writing a few new songs/moving things around...March.

If they're really going to compile another album's worth of songs, simply because they can...November. Maybe.

i really do think we're looking at February/March. i read Bono's article as extending the finishing touches.

in my opinion, the band held off on releasing it in November because they had a couple of last minute ideas that probably sprung into something bigger and better that they just couldn't fathom the thought of not including it on the new album.

i think many people are over-reacting. U2 didn't scrap the album. they just saw an opportunity to enhance and better what they already think has the potential to be something really special. it's obvious that they're putting all their cards into this one.

hmm...March? 7 fucking months now....that's so long it's overwhelming....:sigh:

To be fair, if the album comes out in March, the single will likely come out in January. Hey, the CD single for WITS did, after all.

And it was already going to be another 2.5 months before the album release. Just pretend that they're only pushing things back 4 months, and you'll feel better. If it leaks earlier than March, even better!

But Rob, please don't have a nervous breakdown on us. I fear for you, buddy.

I'd rather bring that walrus back to life by playing the trombone than get another "Pop". Once was enough - thanks. I don't need U2 copying all the "hip" music of the time or create songs that hurt my ears. There's some innovation, to be sure, but not enough to warrant a repeat performance.

Oh yeah, let's Shake & Bake motherfu**er, SHAKE & BAKE!!! :mad::mad::mad:

No, seriously though - Bring.It.

(Sorry, literally just been watching some of Talledega Nights, I'm a bit hyper...E-numbers were involved in the food. E125 actually, or whatever that one is that's banned in the States but good to go in the UK :hyper:)

Umm, IGWSHA and Please are more significant, IMO at least, than anything U2 have done this decade. And holy hot dogs Batman that MOFO is an absolute BEAST of a song :drool:

I would just love U2 to be that daring again. I wasn't suggesting they try to repeat the POP sound, nor that they pull Timbaland in for a cheeky rap-lite interlude. God, imagine thay copied Usher and banned men from the live shows :sad:

To be fair, if the album comes out in March, the single will likely come out in January. Hey, the CD single for WITS did, after all.

And it was already going to be another 2.5 months before the album release. Just pretend that they're only pushing things back 4 months, and you'll feel better. If it leaks earlier than March, even better!

But Rob, please don't have a nervous breakdown on us. I fear for you, buddy.

:lol:

Yeah that's actually a good way of looking at it....Hopefully I can take this....we just need some u2.com clips or something...I'm expecting one tomorrow :pray:

I thought this was an interesting quote from the billboard article.

"Among the songs in the mix are "Get on Your Boots," "For Your Love," "Breathe," "No Line on the Horizon" and the eight-minute "Moment of Surrender." One source who has heard several of the works-in-progress describes them to Billboard as "amazing and a little out there. I hope they don't change anything."

If what that source is saying is correct, it really does sound like an amazing departure in a good way so hopefully they don't mess with those songs but just add more good stuff to the mix.

If what that source is saying is correct, it really does sound like an amazing departure in a good way so hopefully they don't mess with those songs but just add more good stuff to the mix.

Yeah, what I'm hoping is that they're just taking advantage of a presumed lack of pressure from the record label by extending the sessions a few more months, just in case they can come up with another few songs that are album-worthy. That would explain everything, and be relatively understandable to those who are really disappointed. Also, I'm glad that he acknowledged the importance of getting the material out there soon.

Maybe this will be best for everyone involved.

"Among the songs in the mix are "Get on Your Boots," "For Your Love," "Breathe," "No Line on the Horizon" and the eight-minute "Moment of Surrender." One source who has heard several of the works-in-progress describes them to Billboard as "amazing and a little out there. I hope they don't change anything."

Well it depends on what this person considers 'out there.'

Let's hope you're right.

"And these are the days,
When our work has come asunder ,
And these are the days,
When we look for something other"

I'm sure someone has already said this, as I don't feel like going through 60+ pages of responses in the first thread and now 12 in this one but....

I realized that the reason why I am so pissed is not because the band necessarily delayed the release of the album.

I am pissed because I got myself locked onto this potential November 18 release that was merely just a rumor and speculation and got myself believing that was the date.

So the band didn't delay anything. I mean did they ever even say November as being a target? Maybe, but I don't remember.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom