OFFICIAL - U2.Com - New Album Out In 2009 Pt. 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As much as I hate how smug you're being about this, I do hope you're right. I have no idea why you would be, or why you would pick the relatively arbitrary date that you did, but it's a best-case scenario at this point, and I just want the damn album.

It was a gut hypothesis based on what we had for information. sure, we had a decent bit of information and we still do.

Breathe
No Line on the Horizon
For Your Love
Moment of Surrender
Get On Your Boots

but we've had none of them mentioned as possible first singles aside from the beach clip speculation with Get on Your Boots. We had websites with u2vertigo, Vertigo etc. being rumored as both the single and album title as well as howtodismantleanatomicbomb.com being registered. True, No Line on the Horizon was registered as a domain, but we had MUCH more information in 2004's August than we did in 2008's.

That coupled with the fact that the tour ended in 2006- just two years ago- opposed to Elevation which ended in 2001 made me think that you know, maybe they're not as close as we think they are. There just wasn't enough buzz, not enough rumors- even if they were false- it was missing. Yeah, some people think maybe they wanted to keep it under wraps this time and come back and boom- theres U2 music- sans fanfare. But U2 is about fanfare and wanting to be the best and most popular. Even when they were young, they wanted to be the "best band in the world." They want their music to be heard, and I do believe that they will do everything they can to make sure that gets done from a promotional standpoint. That just wasn't being done over the summer.

The information that we had just didn't add up to me, and I've always thought Spring 2009 was the most feasible and realistic date for this album. So far, I'm on target for being right.

Plus, the Spider Man work probably set things back a little bit. Aren't they releasing a U2-rendition version of the soundtrack? So it's like we'll be getting a double album anyway, just one that is Spider Man oriented which I believe the beach clips of 2006 will surface on. One of those articles cited a song "Boy Falls from the Sky." As I've said in other threads, that line is in the interference hailed "402."

I think this is a great time to be a U2 fan and we have a lot of songs to be looking forward to, and a tour that they've been working on for two years. Combine that with the fact that I was told by everybody that I had no reason to think that the album would be out in 2008 and that I was wrong, and now I think it's funny how everybody acted like the sky was falling and I was right, that's where part of the smugness comes from. Just having some fun, nothing malicious towards anybody here.

There's always the backup story for that.

"They're waiting to see whether it really is artistically brilliant or just a load of pop songs for the radio."

Maybe it's both
The perfect record for the public and fans alike:wink:

"We’ve hit a rich songwriting vein and we don’t want to stop."
"this one is nearly ready for the new year of 2009."
"We want 2009 to be our year, so we’re going to start making an impression very early on …"
"I thought a while back we might have the album wrapped by now, but why come up above ground now if there's more priceless stuff to be found?"

Could be just seeking for a few more songs, could be a double album, could be they decided on a bigger change of the album's direction.

edit: I'm opting for the latter. Just as long as they stick with Eno and Lanois.

Do you also predict a double album ?

I wonder if that Spiderman soundtrack is the "early next year" promise of a new sound Bono's talking about.

though Bono does always talk in hyperbole in regards to upcoming releases
if you want to you can see what he was on about withn hindsight
I don't feel he lies about this

therefore the most realistic approach at the moment is to suspect the album to be released in spring and for it to be a departure from All that you can't Dismantle

I wonder if that Spiderman soundtrack is the "early next year" promise of a new sound Bono's talking about.

But the Spiderman soundtrack is not a U2 album. Maybe I'm wrong, but isn't it just Bono and Edge writing and composing and the musical cast performing?

Nah, no double albums.

I think the U2 record will come out early next year as will the Spider Man. The Spider man has somewhat of a set timetable? Or at least it should, I'm sure it'll somewhat coincide with whenever the actual show itself opens.

But the Spiderman soundtrack is not a U2 album. Maybe I'm wrong, but isn't it just Bono and Edge writing and composing and the musical cast performing?

Incorrect.

Bono weaves Spider-Man a web of music - Times Online

"Having composed the music for the forthcoming Broadway production of Spider-Man, Bono and the Edge will release a U2 album based on their musical adaptation of the comic books.

The singer — who styled himself The Fly on U2’s Zoo TV tour — and the guitarist have written 18 tracks for Spider-Man: The Musical, a $25m (¤16m) production that is due to open in New York in October 2009.

The band will rework some of the musical numbers and include them on the album, which is due to follow their next release this October. "

Obviously, the timeline for the U2 album is now off, but I don't doubt that they will do this.

What about:
* U2 only release (possibly Rubin tracks?)
* U2 + Eno/Lanois release
* Bono and The Edge Spiderman release (402 etc, Rubin tracks reworked?)

:drool:
Not going to say no to that.

Isn't it a bit hypocritical of you to base your predictions on the quotes of band members? I did the same thing three weeks ago, and you felt it wasn't enough. We have nothing more right now than "we want 2009 to be our year". If there were no facts to support a 2008 release, there certainly aren't any now.

you just don't get it. this was an official story on U2.com. that's as official as it gets. it doesn't matter if it was a Bono quote, a press release, etc...

it's official. it's fact.

you just don't get it. this was an official story on U2.com. that's as official as it gets. it doesn't matter if it was a Bono quote, a press release, etc...

:banghead: You only seem to accept the quotes that suit you. It doesn't matter where the quote came from (U2.com, Q magazine, or a PLEBAn reporting what they heard when meeting a band member), as long as it was actually said, it's on the table, ready for dissection.

It's official and a fact that Bono said what he did. What it means for the future and whether or not we should take it at face value is up for debate.

:banghead: You only seem to accept the quotes that suit you. It doesn't matter where the quote came from (U2.com, Q magazine, or a PLEBAn reporting what they heard when meeting a band member), as long as it was actually said, it's on the table, ready for dissection.

It's official and a fact that Bono said what he did. What it means for the future and whether or not we should take it at face value is up for debate.

I think someone's in denial...

- Late June: U2 skip the Mandela tribute concert because they're putting the "final touches" on the album.
U2 to Mandela: Sorry | U2 news article from @U2

- July 5: Daniel Lanois tells a Montreal newspaper that the album is done.
Yahoo! Groups

- July 6: The Irish Independent reports that U2 enjoyed a dinner together about a week ago to celebrate finishing work on the album.
Bono and crew dine out after finally finishing album - News & Gossip, Entertainment - Independent.ie

(from @U2)

maybe banging your head against the wall will clear things up. :wink:

i'm not picking or choosing quotes. i'm taking the only official word we've gotten and basing it as fact. the band is known for spouting off false information, yet you still write their words in stone. U2.com published Bono saying that we'll have new songs in early 2009. i'm going to take my chances with that.

plus, your method of thinking has already been proven to be incorrect.

- Late June: U2 skip the Mandela tribute concert because they're putting the "final touches" on the album.
U2 to Mandela: Sorry | U2 news article from @U2

- July 5: Daniel Lanois tells a Montreal newspaper that the album is done.
Yahoo! Groups

- July 6: The Irish Independent reports that U2 enjoyed a dinner together about a week ago to celebrate finishing work on the album.
Bono and crew dine out after finally finishing album - News & Gossip, Entertainment - Independent.ie

(from @U2)

again, it's from @u2.com, which is not an official U2 site, so you can only speculate that what they report is true. U2.com is official. the band decides what content goes on the site. so if they say early 2009, they mean it.

The band were deliberating about sending out the album as is but had a meeting and decided to keep going. They want this to be a great album. Most U2 albums are rushed, including Achtung Baby, and they really want to finish this record. U2 have delayed before. It's nothing new.

They realize that people want to turn the page on U2 unless they can earn it with a great album. That's lots of pressure and requires hard work. U2 have also had problems with what to do next since they did just about every style of music already. By allowing themselves to just fart around on their instruments doing anything for a few months allowed them the freedom to try other things. This means the album takes longer to finish but at least they explored more than just rehashing an old sound.

People are just impatient. March 2009 isn't that far away. If it's a better album then than it currently is then I'm all for it.

You must always sing the lyrics wrong then...

maybe the lyrics section could be wrong, but why does that mean its not the official source of news? it's the bands official website. it's where they want you looking for the news. it's their official internet news outlet.

is it that tough?

maybe the lyrics section could be wrong, but why does that mean its not the official source of news? it's the bands official website. it's where they want you looking for the news. it's their official internet news outlet.

is it that tough?

My argument wasnt about news, it was about you trusting it 100%. How can you trust a bands official site where their own lyrics are wrong ?

On a side note the news on that site is always days out of date.

My argument wasnt about news, it was about you trusting it 100%. How can you trust a bands official site where their own lyrics are wrong ?

On a side note the news on that site is always days out of date.

so you wont trust it for official news regarding tours and albums? come on.

The thing about U2.com is, it's run like any other site. The band members aren't literally writing these articles themselves. Someone from the site talks to them and reports back to the subscribers.

Now granted, what's published on U2.com has more of a "stamp of approval" because it has their names attached to it, but it's still journalism, and realistically doesn't have any more legitimacy than any other official quotes attributed to the band from other articles, interviews, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom