October - Not bad at all! - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-15-2006, 04:19 PM   #1
War Child

Local Time: 09:43 AM
October - Not bad at all!

I was listening to October today after a very long time and discovered this album is just really good and has a great atmosphere. There are only a couple of songs below average (but these songs aren't awful). Here's my ranking of each song:

Gloria 9
I Fall Down 8
I Threw A Brick Through A Window 7
Rejoice 8,5
Fire 7,5
Tomorrow 7,5 (Could have been higher if the 2nd part of the song was beter)
October 8,5
With A Shout 7,5
Stranger In A Strange Land 5
Scarlet 8,5
Is That All? 5

Average of the album is almost a 7,5! Not bad at all! Makes me wonder why so many people underrate October. Of course, the album hasn't got really big hitsongs or masterpieces. But the overall picture is in my opinion better than an album like All That You Can't Leave Behind.

Old 07-15-2006, 04:42 PM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 07:43 AM
October is my favourite album behind HTDAAB. I praise it. I really can't understand why people detest this album and why is so bashed and underrated here.
I guess I don't need to say anything else...

Old 07-15-2006, 04:54 PM   #3
The Male

Local Time: 11:43 PM
It's a strong record, great outside of Is That All and With A Shout. Faarrrrrrrr from their best though.
Old 07-15-2006, 06:14 PM   #4
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 06:43 PM
I think October's a pretty good album, I rank it in about the middle when it comes to a list of favourite U2 albums. Gloria is, of course, a classic, as is Tomorrow, and songs such as I Threw A Brick, Rejoice, and Scarlet are forgotten gems.

My only real problem with the album is Is That All?, as I think the album should've ended on a nice, soft note with Scarlet. I don't feel Is That All? really fits the album, definitely not in its position, and probably should've been used as a b-side.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 07-15-2006, 10:11 PM   #5
45:33

October is absolutely fantastic.

Gloria 8
I Fall Down 7
I Threw a Brick Through a Window 8
Rejoice 8
Fire 10
Tomorrow 8
October 7
Jerusalem (With a Shout) 7
Stranger in a Strange Land 8 (I think this is probably U2's most underrated song ever)
Scarlet 7
Is That All? 5
Old 07-16-2006, 12:05 AM   #6
Refugee

Local Time: 05:43 PM
I've never really gotten why so many people hate October, or why U2 always feels the need to make excuses for it. It's a great album, maybe it doesn't have the best lyrics of all time, but neither do a lot of their other albums. The passion is there in October, and I think it comes across very well.
Old 07-16-2006, 12:45 AM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:43 AM
October is definitely a great album... it's just (arguably) U2's weakest album as well. However, "I Threw A Brick Through A Window" f^%$ing rocks...seriously.
Old 07-16-2006, 01:40 AM   #8
Refugee

Gloria's the only song on there that's of a decent quality. Fire, Is that all, Stranger in a strange land and I threw a brich thru a window I find are all almost unlistenable
Old 07-16-2006, 02:59 AM   #9
Refugee

I think "Is That All" is a MUST on that album. Since the whole album was underdevoloped, and most songs were written on the spot, "Is That All" is like their response to the whole painstaking process of recording OCTOBER. I like it's honesty. There's a lot of anger and frustration beneath that track. Sure, it's not the greatest song, but it does a great job of documenting the confusion surrounding U2 at that point in their career.
Old 07-16-2006, 09:23 AM   #10
The Fly

Local Time: 05:43 PM
I can't see how it could be their weakest. The only thing wrong with it is that a couple of the song titles are mixed up on the track listing. Tomorrow (which is about Bono's mum's funeral) is perhaps their most honestly emotional song. Gloria is perfect & has very, very original-sounding guitar.
Old 07-16-2006, 09:50 AM   #11
New Yorker

I think how you rate October could be linked to how long you liked U2. I could well be wrong tho. I just cant see people who got into u2 say from AB onward enjoying it so much. I have said a few times on these boards that October is the one u2 album that takes me back to a certain time in my life. It conjours such good memories for me and for that reason it will alaways hold a special place. Personal highlights are Tomorrow and I threw a brick and of course October.
Old 07-16-2006, 09:53 AM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 08:43 AM
When I first listened to October, all I'd heard about the album was that it was U2's worst album and utter rubbish. So, naturally, my expectations were set pretty low. But instead I loved it. Fire is an underrated classic IMHO.

However, when I came to listen to Boy for the first time all I'd heard about it was how fantastic it was. My expectations were really high for it and I just felt let down.

So I think the fact that people go on about how crap October is leads a lot of people to be pleasantly surprised when they don't hate it completely. If people went on about how brilliant October is then maybe other people wouldn't like as much as they do......don't worry I'm fully aware that I stopped making sense here a couple of paragraphs back.
Old 07-16-2006, 10:11 AM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 03:43 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by TheQuiet1
When I first listened to October, all I'd heard about the album was that it was U2's worst album and utter rubbish. So, naturally, my expectations were set pretty low. But instead I loved it. Fire is an underrated classic IMHO.

However, when I came to listen to Boy for the first time all I'd heard about it was how fantastic it was. My expectations were really high for it and I just felt let down.

So I think the fact that people go on about how crap October is leads a lot of people to be pleasantly surprised when they don't hate it completely. If people went on about how brilliant October is then maybe other people wouldn't like as much as they do......don't worry I'm fully aware that I stopped making sense here a couple of paragraphs back.
I think that's very true actually. The common perception is that Boy is brilliant while October is shite...rock critic types love this because they can play up the whole "sophomore jinx" and all that crap. But in reality the truth on both is probably somewhere in the middle. October IMO suffers a bit the same way Pop does, in that it almost seems "unfinished". Also, like so much of U2's music, many of the tracks are far better played live, listen to Larry's drumming on any live version of "I Threw a Brick" for example.
Old 07-16-2006, 10:28 AM   #14
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:43 AM
I love October its a favorite of mine
Old 07-16-2006, 06:02 PM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by ozeeko
I think "Is That All" is a MUST on that album. Since the whole album was underdevoloped, and most songs were written on the spot, "Is That All" is like their response to the whole painstaking process of recording OCTOBER. I like it's honesty. There's a lot of anger and frustration beneath that track. Sure, it's not the greatest song, but it does a great job of documenting the confusion surrounding U2 at that point in their career.
Agreed. "Is that all?" may have poor (?) lyrics and maybe a bit empty, but the instrumental is great (better than other songs on the catalogue) and it fits the whole album spirit. Ok, maybe it could be used as a b-side but it's not a bad tune...
Old 07-16-2006, 06:04 PM   #16
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:43 AM
Great album, does not stand the test of time at all though.
Old 07-16-2006, 06:05 PM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by CTU2fan

I think that's very true actually. The common perception is that Boy is brilliant while October is shite...rock critic types love this because they can play up the whole "sophomore jinx" and all that crap. But in reality the truth on both is probably somewhere in the middle. October IMO suffers a bit the same way Pop does, in that it almost seems "unfinished". Also, like so much of U2's music, many of the tracks are far better played live, listen to Larry's drumming on any live version of "I Threw a Brick" for example.
I think that maybe people were expecting another "Boy" or an album in the same vein, but thankfully, there's no U2 album equal to another one, the next one is always different.
On the other hand, although there was that problem with the lyrics and the recording sessions, but the religious spirit gives a great feeling to the album.
I find it just great.
Old 07-17-2006, 03:18 AM   #18
45:33

Quote:
Originally posted by TheQuiet1

Agree with all of that. October is SERIOUSLY underrated. Seriously.
Old 07-17-2006, 03:40 AM   #19
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally posted by gman
I think how you rate October could be linked to how long you liked U2. I could well be wrong tho. I just cant see people who got into u2 say from AB onward enjoying it so much.
Maybe that's generally true for U2's fanbase, but it's not for me. I grew up on U2 (born in 1987), really got into them around 2002, so I'm a post-Achtung fan, and I enjoy October more than Achtung.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 07-17-2006, 04:57 AM   #20
Refugee

Local Time: 11:43 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Axver

Maybe that's generally true for U2's fanbase, but it's not for me. I grew up on U2 (born in 1987), really got into them around 2002, so I'm a post-Achtung fan, and I enjoy October more than Achtung.
Similarly, I didn't really take a serious interest in their music until 2000, though I was vaguely familiar with some of their songs, but not really familiar with them. When I did get into their music more, I found that I've liked quite a few of their songs, just didn't put band+song together.

++++++++++++++++++

October is my 4th favorite U2 album just after Achtung Baby.

War is my favorite but that's not very common among the U2 fanbase I don't think.

October didn't take much time to grow on me, I liked 3/4 of the album by the 3rd listen.