NLOTH Album Reviews Pt 3

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The German Musikexpresss gave NLOTH 4 out of 6 stars. They say it´s good and occasionally innovative, but criticize U2 for not being brave enough to record a really experimental album again.

I mailed with a dutch radio DJ and he told me that the album will be great.
Edge is back according to this DJ. First 2 tracks rock out very loud. The other songs are not really typically U2. Unfortunately he hasn't got the tracks. The session was at the Wisseloord studios in Hilversum (yes where they recorded the please single)

Furthermore .. the DVD (anton corbijn) has a track called Winter ... this track is described as a great track (why not on the album then!). So there is a need to get that DVD ...

u2 always

The German Musikexpresss gave NLOTH 4 out of 6 stars. They say it´s good and occasionally innovative, but criticize U2 for not being brave enough to record a really experimental album again.

I am sick of that story*to be or not to be experimental*?It doesnt make a sense...Let u2 play good music as they did always...what i heard-this album is gonna be one of the best from U2...and I dont give a damn to journalistic crappy reviews!

They did their review based upon a listening session. Thus others have already pointed out that the album needs to be heard more often to get it, I wouldn´t give so much about those fastfood-reviews. What happened to the times when reviewers really tried to get into the music?

I am sick of that story*to be or not to be experimental*?It doesnt make a sense...Let u2 play good music as they did always...what i heard-this album is gonna be one of the best from U2...

:up:

Why does this album have to be "experimental"? Why can't it be bold yet classic? :hmm:

I want to see some new sounds with classic elements personally. Judging the album solely on how "experimental" it is kinda misses the point. What if the songs are really great? :huh:

Isn't it 4 out 5 stars? That's what u2tour.de is saying.

I have the magazine here. They gave it 4 out of 5 stars, that's not bad. There's an article and the album review in the March edition. They say mostly positive things about the album, but they say the experimentation doesn't go far enough. They say it's a mixture of great classic U2 moments from the 80s and a lot of new sounds. Strangely enough they say Fez-Being Born starts out to be a collage of different sounds and quite experimental but becomes a characteristic U2 song in the end. Now, that's new. :lol:

Overall, good review! :up:

anything thats 4 out of 5 stars should be considered outstanding for a band in their 30th year

I have the magazine here. They gave it 4 out of 5 stars, that's not bad. There's an article and the album review in the March edition. They say mostly positive things about the album, but they say the experimentation doesn't go far enough. They say it's a mixture of great classic U2 moments from the 80s and a lot of new sounds. Strangely enough they say Fez-Being Born starts out to be a collage of different sounds and quite experimental but becomes a characteristic U2 song in the end. Now, that's new. :lol:

Overall, good review! :up:
great news - is there a translated version anywhere?

Assuming the reviews/rumors are true, I think U2 is making a mistake by releasing Crazy Tonight as a single before Magnificent. I also think they should have just released Mag. first, but that's done and past. Here's my thinking: the 2nd single comes out close to the album release, while the hype, press, and promotion is in full gear. It has the best chance of being noticed and grabbing everyone's attention. Crazy Tonight seems like a very single-y single. It's what people expect from U2. It's not going to grab them and make them reckon with this band again like Magnificent possibly could. What do you guys think?

What matters is the album. Even classics like New Years Day and Pride didn't roar up the charts. When people hear the album they will like it.

^ I agree. Listening to the clips last night I thought about that. I'd love to hear Magnificent for the next single, because it could be something totally unexpected after GOYB. I think it would be a brilliant second single.

Single releases don't really matter anymore. Not in the day of iTunes where people just pick and choose what they want off an album anyway.

Assuming the reviews/rumors are true, I think U2 is making a mistake by releasing Crazy Tonight as a single before Magnificent. I also think they should have just released Mag. first, but that's done and past. Here's my thinking: the 2nd single comes out close to the album release, while the hype, press, and promotion is in full gear. It has the best chance of being noticed and grabbing everyone's attention. Crazy Tonight seems like a very single-y single. It's what people expect from U2. It's not going to grab them and make them reckon with this band again like Magnificent possibly could. What do you guys think?

I agree with you... but IGCIIDGCT was confirmed as second single already?

It's by Neil McCormick for the Daily Telegraph.

He's not really reviewing the album, says there's an "embargo" on it, which I don't understand, because we've had reviews already.

I liked the part about talking to other journalists about the album:

The editor of another music magazine, who has never had a good word to say about U2, confessed that he had been constantly listening to and really enjoying the new album. And on my way through the centre of London yesterday, I bumped into John Wilson, one of the presenters of Radio 4's Front Row programme. He told me he had just interviewed the band for a special to be broadcast in a couple of weeks, and had also sat in on some rehearsals, where he said the new single 'Get On Your Boots' was transforming into something punkier and even more immediate.

Single releases don't really matter anymore. Not in the day of iTunes where people just pick and choose what they want off an album anyway.

Yeah, I think that's true to a degree. But it is still possible for groups to have big radio hits, and I think it would be good if the album release and the album itself gets associated with Magnificent in the public's mind, rather than Crazy Tonight, which while potentially a good track, is going to fit a little too well into the rest of their 00s oeuvre.

He's not really reviewing the album, says there's an "embargo" on it, which I don't understand, because we've had reviews already.

That other quote that you have there is interesting. It talks about some guy "constantly listening to the album". How is that possible if its not out yet?
Maybe some people already have copies of it, and hence a leak could happen??? :shrug:

Yeah sorry, he mentions his review will be out on Monday

Back
Top Bottom