New Years Day

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

popacrobat

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
tremendous song. i've been listening to it a lot lately, recent live versions, and i do have to say it's one of the few 'warhorses' I don't get tired of hearing.

i went to many vertigo shows and only saw NYD once - I hope they play it again often next tour. everything about this song rocks. the lyrics, rhythm, guitar, piano.

truly one of their best tracks :up:

popacrobat said:
i do have to say it's one of the few 'warhorses' I don't get tired of hearing.

Ditto. It's one of those songs that I know I like, but forget how much I love it until I hear it in that live setting. Or during U23D - each time I saw it, I had the same reaction: "Ooh, yeah, I love this song!"

:yes: I can listen to it over and over and never get tired of it. every other song I'm tired of when listening to it too much but this one is exception. It's so good I play Zoo TV versions of NYD almost every day:) It's drug for me...

NYD is one of my faves. It has the bite and romance of War all rolled into one song.

NYD is amazing. And they still play it very well live! :drool:

Like Streets and One (but only with the extra verse for the latter), this is one song that is terribly overplayed, yet I never get sick of it! It's very different from WOWY and Pride, which just sound like overexposed unenthusiastic filler nowadays.

It's one of the great singles of the 80s for me, and a really key track in U2's history. I DO get a bit tired of it live, though. It sounded great on the Unforgettable Fire tour, and at random moments in the 00s (the DVD concert at Slane Castle was a great one) but overall I think it's hit and miss at live concerts. But it's that original studio recording (the album version) that really floors me. It's a very original sound.

3rd U2 song I ever heard (first two being HMTMKMKM and Pride). I've loved it ever since, though I must admit that I like the studio version better than the live versions that I've heard.

I was on the bus this evening and NYD come on from the first Lovetown Point Depot show.

Not a great version, but again NYD hit me like a tonne of bricks - i never really cared for it before i witnessed it live myself.

I never ever get tired of NYD.
Unlike One , ISHFWILF , WOWY and Pride:madspit:

I say next tour play October before it.
Or even better play Tomorrow between them:wink:

Cheers ,

Mauwer

Re: Re: New Years Day

corianderstem said:

Ditto. It's one of those songs that I know I like, but forget how much I love it until I hear it in that live setting. Or during U23D - each time I saw it, I had the same reaction: "Ooh, yeah, I love this song!"

almost exactly how i feel. I saw it at U23D and remembered how much I loved it.

Listening to boot leg, same thing happened. The thunderous bass, the wail and then the piano introduction to the song is perhaps U2's best song introduction in their canon.

This song is definitely an all-timer for me.

Back
Top Bottom