new u2 song and video on mtv

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zoomerang96

ONE love, blood, life
for the gangs of new york. i just read it somewhere at youtwo.net go check it out yourself.

as for the song, its supposedly more mainstream than the ground beneath her feet. whatever that means.

the video is apparently a live shot of them playing it in a studio, except theyre not actually playing live (just like all music videos).

go check it out.

------------------
after years of waiting, nothing came.

Originally posted by Zoomerang96:

as for the song, its supposedly more mainstream than the ground beneath her feet. whatever that means.

That means that if I call the radio station to request this song,mthey won't laugh at me and say, "Nobody wants to hear that!"

------------------
"Frisbetarians believe that when they die their soul goes up on the roof, and they can't get it down."

Bonochick's Place

or they might turn around and laugh at you for requesting a "too mainstreamish" song.

it depends on which radio station you call.

i just want an mp3 or something. surely if the whole thing already aired on tv, someone out there would have it in one shape or form.

------------------

Originally posted by LOVE MUSCLE:
Bear, if you are joking......

i told you the source now ill post the message:
http://www.youtwo.net/news_archives.adp?newsid=18823

YouTwo.net: New U2 song premieres at MTV Rock & Comedy Festival

May 11, 2002
Thanks to John for the following:

At tonight's [May 10] MTV Rock & Comedy Festival, they played a video clip for the
song U2 has done for the Martin Scorcese film "Gangs Of New York." I didn't catch
the song title, which was displayed at the bottom of the screen briefly, because I couldn't
see that portion of the screen.

The video was a performance clip, which looked like it was recorded in the studio. The song, however, was not being performed live. It was a fully produced and mixed track.
It's an excellent song -- more mainstream than "The Ground Beneath Her Feet." It could
get some serious radio airplay when the film is finally released in late fall 2002.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Zoomerang96 (edited 05-11-2002).]

you'd better duck, martha, GBHF is a VERY cool song

you knew that was coming
biggrin.gif

Originally posted by Zoomerang96:
or they might turn around and laugh at you for requesting a "too mainstreamish" song.

Believe me...that does NOT happen around here.

------------------
"Frisbetarians believe that when they die their soul goes up on the roof, and they can't get it down."

Bonochick's Place

If it's the song they were playing when I was at the studio, it's called "The Hands that Built America" (or some version thereof.) a really nice song, I thought. It capitalized on the irish tradition (fitting for the subject matter) in a way that U2 hasn't really since "Tomorrow."

wow am i good at things!!! right gang?!

------------------

yes bear yes
yes
OH YES
owwww
woW
I will pay a special tribute to your vigilance tonight

So I wanna know more about the song????????

Obviously the reason it is compared to TGBHF is not because it sounds at all like it, but rather because TGBHF was the last soundtrack song U2 wrote. As for it sounding more mainstream than TGBHF, I'm not at all surprised. TGBHF is extremely unmainstream, really -- more in the tradition of 'With or Without You', in that it's a great song that is able to get radio air-play without being mainstream.

Though I'm excited to hear how "excellent" this song really is, it does in a way disappoint me that it is more mainstream. What I usually love about U2 soundrack music is that it is a bit experimental, a bit ambient, a bit arty. I like to feel U2 stretching out sometimes, becoming free. I think if 'Stateless' had been included on ATYCLB, it would have won album of the year.

------------------
The Tempest

Originally posted by Spyplane:
So I wanna know more about the song????????

The vocals are interesting: they're separated into two parts. On one part, Bono sings basically from the perspective of a couple just stepping onto the NY docks ("You've gotta live with your dreams; don't make them so hard.") This part of the song is really smooth and graceful.

On the other layered vocal section, Bono chants rather harshly "The hands that pulled, the hands that pushed, the hands that beat, the hands that fought, the hands that ripped..." etc.

Makes for a rather nice juxtaposition.

one more thing ignore,.....any other song titles that you may have heard...did you see the infamous "white board"?

Originally posted by Swan269:
one more thing ignore,.....any other song titles that you may have heard...did you see the infamous "white board"?

most of the ones I've heard have names that've already been rumored (electrical storm, all because you, etc.) the rest i think I should wait till the band decides to reveal them.

suffice it to say that the songs (at least in their current incarnation) rock. I like them more than "the hands that built..." and far more than any ATYCLB cuts. I guarantee you'll have a smile on your face when you hear some of these tunes and especially edge's riffs.

[This message has been edited by ignoreland (edited 05-11-2002).]

Ignorland,

From what you've heard, would you say that the new material is more guitar rock in style? Another question: Is it more free flowing -- ie, a little more abstract (think 'New Year's Day' for example), and not as "structured" as ATYCLB?

------------------
The Tempest

Originally posted by Michael Griffiths:
Ignorland,

From what you've heard, would you say that the new material is more guitar rock in style? Another question: Is it more free flowing -- ie, a little more abstract (think 'New Year's Day' for example), and not as "structured" as ATYCLB?

firstly I should say that everything I say should be taken with a grain of salt--what Bono played were rehearsal tapes, and I have absolutely no idea how rehearsal tapes generally evolve into the final album. The Achtung outtakes and the record itself illustrate the difference clearly...

With that said...No question a more guitar-centric tilt to the new material. The cuts I heard were really quite incredible, I thought: Edge laying down a really tight and exciting foundation of repetitive riffs and intricate noodling, with Bono wailing on top. Reminded me a bit of a mix between U2's earliest records and the type of material now being played by the White Stripes et al...but a clear U2 sound.

The way Bono was talking about it made it seem like they are really willing to experiment on this one a bit. He was saying that the noodling sections I mentioned before (over which there were no lyrics) might be included in the final cuts; i.e. extended instrumental sections that sounded really quite new to these ears (would be included in the singles, but not the radio edits). Seemed like a good idea to me, but it's probably one of those ideas that never makes it thru. But nonetheless I liked the new perspective from which they seemed to be approaching this record.

i'm excited, to say the least.

I am jealous to say the least...sounds like it was f*ckin awesome. About how many cuts did you hear.....(estimate)

Originally posted by Michael Griffiths:
Ignorland,

Thanks so much for sharing. Tell me, if you don't mind me asking, how did you get to speak with Bono? Must have been amazing!

my father is jeffrey sachs, an economist who's been working with bono on debt relief and now AIDS.

i too wanna thank ignorland.

now, can you type out exactly how all the songs you heard SOUND? pretty please?

------------------

Something from u2log to add to the song....

New U2 song in NY | random | vonb - 12:17 AM | (0).
From Dennis via e-mail: Last night, one of the local news broadcasts for New York City was reporting on the Tribeca Film Festival happening this weekend. In addition to films, many musical acts played. U2 did not, but a video was shown of them playing a new song they'd written - "The Hands That Built America." The news ended their broadcast with a clip of that video. The song was a ballad, and the band was playing it in an unplugged sort of arrangement.

Originally posted by ignoreland:
my father is jeffrey sachs, an economist who's been working with bono on debt relief and now AIDS.

welcome to Interference, ignoreland!

And I'm not just saying that cause you're jeffrey sachs kid, either
biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by jezebel (edited 05-11-2002).]

Back
Top Bottom