New fans because of Vertigo/HTDAAB

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

elfyx

War Child
So, I for one am looking forward to that time of the whole album cycle when we start seeing all those "new fan" threads.

I love hearing about how Beautiful Day got someone totally hooked onto U2, or for others it was Achtung Baby, etc.. We've all been there before, and everybody has a story.

I will not be surprised if HTDAAB is as good as it's hyped up to be, it will draw a whole new generation of fans. U2 is one of the very few enduring acts that can still pull that feat off.

These are great times to be a U2 fan!

the only reason i respect pop-rock bands (variety of genres) i.e. jet, blink 182, most pop-punk bands are because they make kids listen to rock instead of rap/r&b. i would rather some kid listen to pop punk and then one day stumble upon an old influential band than go the other direction and be lost forever...

an example is on the new blink cd there is a song with robert smith from the cure singing ... it's actually really cool. some kid could go pick up wild mood swings and be blown away...

U2 got me listening to other artist like The Ramones/The Clash/Springsteen/The Who and so on.
I believe that this album is going to be huge and attract a new group of fans that will realize what an amazing group U2 is - I totally envy them that wonderful rush of discovery

what's amazing about U2 is that there will be new legions of U2 fans after hearing HTDAAB but there ages will vary from 11 year olds in grammar school to 60 year olds who grew up on the beatles......that is rare with any musical act.

PS, Nurse Chrissi, that SNL skit with Christopher Walken/Will Ferrell/cowbell has to be one of the funniest things I've ever seen.:applaud: :applaud: :up: :lmao:

I think it will bring in new fans. The few seconds of the new song sound perfect for rock radio (& new, younger fans should like the heavyness of it). I have to admit, I was never a fan of Blink-182, but the latest album is actually good (artistic). I was shocked that I liked it.

Yeah, I never liked Blink-182 until I heard their new album...love Stockholm Syndrome. Great song. On the other hand I can't stand all the Jet-worshippers because Jet blatantly rips off AC/DC, The Who, and other classic rock acts... and what's more they just suck. "Are You Gonna Be My Girl" is a horrible song.:yuck:

As for U2, yeah, I think they'll end up gaining a lot of new fans with the album. As I've posted in other friends, I played Vertigo for some friends that aren't really into U2 at all and they loved it. The punk/hard-rock style may actually get it played on some of the "alternative" rock stations, giving the angry kids of rock a chance to hear some positive AND rockin' music... I think it'll be a good thing :yes:

It kinda makes me mad that I have been waiting (extremely un)patiently for 4 years for a new record, and some people might just walk into Borders on 11/23 and go, "Hmmm! U2! I guess I'll try it!" They get the prize without even running the marathon!

But what's good for U2 is good for the fans. Right...?

artdirector said:
I agree. If U2 can get people to STOP hearing shitty bands like Jet the world is a better place.
I agree that youngens and those getting up there who aren't into U2 should be. It's obvious right. Everyone should listen to the greatest band ever and it's hard to understand why everyone already doesn't. I was a late U2 bloomer however. I never got into them untill I heard Starring at the Sun. Anyways about the Jet comment. At least they have their own sound so to speak. I mean when you hear then on the radio you know it's them. Can't say the same for the lame acts like, Nickleback, Default, Theory of a Deadman, Fuel, 3 Doors Down.... and so on. Those are bands people should stop listening to. Atomic Bomb will no doubt turn some heads and right some wrongs. The wrongs of the publics poor musical choices.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom