New album talk: I heard that it was big but this... is really big

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So the proof is a forum post claiming that these white board titles appeared in Propaganda as having come from those sessions..so surely someone has this and can provide, right?

At the end of the day tho even if its proven that half of the songs on HTDAAB came from earlier albums' sessions, the context of how this whole discussion started was that this somehow means that the songs are more overworked and not really part of a 'cohesive album' (story?) like the older albums were...and I really don't see how that is relevant. Artists come up with songs all the time and shelve them to make way for others they'd rather release sooner. Or are we saying that if they had released LAPOE in 2000 it would have somehow been "better"?

I'm genuinely asking: did the songs necessarily get any worse because they put their rough early versions on pause, toured ATYCLB and then brought them back out to work on them some more? :huh:

That seemed to be the direction Niceman and then U2girl were heading with their argument a few pages back and I just don't necessarily agree that working more on these songs somehow lessened the quality.

I actually agree with you. I think any assumptions made about when something was recorded based upon who was there are questionable. I also think that simply because an idea has been kicked around for a while doesn't mean that the original idea was anything like the final one.

My comment was that HTDAAB sounded like a best-of album. It feels like it lacks the cohesion which you do find on most U2 albums. I love every song on the album, I just don't feel like they come from similar places.

Being a fan for so long for some reason I either missed out or weren't interested at the time in the preliminary song titles thing and now it has really piqued my interest reading all of these comments, pretty cool. :up: It's funny how these titles have evolved into different songs and such. I know this prolly doesn't pertain to this discussion but one of my favorite "songs" that seemed to "birth a a few other songs was Lady With The Spinning Head. It seemed to have had bits of a number of songs in that one.

There's a demo track on the Salome tapes which my friends and I call "Wake up Lady with the Ultraviolet Spinning Fly." It's the song which gave birth to half of their 90s work!

My comment was that HTDAAB sounded like a best-of album. It feels like it lacks the cohesion which you do find on most U2 albums. I love every song on the album, I just don't feel like they come from similar places.

This is EXACTLY how I feel about HTDAAB. When I'm listening to U2 on shuffle and a "Bomb" song comes on, I really dig it. But trying to listen to the entire album in one sitting becomes tedious. It sounds "scattered" and uneven because of the huge number of producers: Steve Lillywhite, Brian Eno, Danny Lanois, Chris Thomas, Flood, Carl Glanville, Nellee Hooper, Jacknife Lee. Holy cow. It's like the credits for a Beyonce album.

I actually agree with you. I think any assumptions made about when something was recorded based upon who was there are questionable. I also think that simply because an idea has been kicked around for a while doesn't mean that the original idea was anything like the final one.

Gotcha. And admittedly you did later clear it up so all good. Bono agrees with your comment I believe about it lacking cohesion, from what I recall. Didn't he later call it a 'bunch of really great songs where the sum is not greater than the parts' (or something to that effect)

Gotcha. And admittedly you did later clear it up so all good. Bono agrees with your comment I believe about it lacking cohesion, from what I recall. Didn't he later call it a 'bunch of really great songs where the sum is not greater than the parts' (or something to that effect)

Yeah, that's what he said, and he's right. As a collection of songs, it's amazing, as an album, it just doesn't add up....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom