New Album Discussion (Will it be bigger than Zeppelin? Rush? Bon Jovi? Jesus? Allah?)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyway, sorry, yeah, all good news. I imagine we'll be seeing a lot of this the next few months. At least it gives us something to talk about besides mobile phones and Led Zeppelin.

cheers to that!

so, let's overanalyze, shall we?

"laden with soul, old school R&B"

"traces of Clash, Sex Pistols, and Kraftwerk"

what other songs in their catalog could fall under this description?

I don't know, sounds a little like it could be a placebo effect to me. Which of their records sounds like punk rock from Mars? Which one sounds like it has a "Moroccan vibe" (except for maybe a few seconds). Where is the "hard rock" record? Did this reporter really hear "traces" of those bands in the songs, or did Bono chat her up about how they've been listening to that stuff again (like we've been hearing about) so now she hears "traces" of it in the music?

Sorry, I'm just a little "I'll believe it when I hear it" about this stuff now.

I am surprised to hear Bono's comments on his vocals. He talks about the "bloke who sings like a chick". I hope there isn't too much falsetto singing on the album, I'm absolutely no fan of that. I remember Bono saying he doesn't like the singing on U2's first records because he "sounded like a girl". Now he suddenly wants to sing like a chick :lol:

Whatever, can't wait to hear the first songs and more news and titles and stuff :up:

I'm glad to hear the news. And it's nice to at least have another source confirming the release date and Super Bowl rumours.

But crikey, PLEASE BRING BACK THE SILENCE EMBARGO! I was really happy with how quiet they were being about this record. For once...once...I'd love for them to just drop a record without all the "Getting back to our roots/Punk rock/shaking it up/new direction", etc., etc., etc. hype that comes with EVERY record. I know this is U2, so perhaps that's expecting too much. But for crying out loud, just put your music out there and let people decide for themselves what it sounds like. If the record sounds like punk or trance or techno it should be apparent from listening to it without telling us that months in advance.

Anyway, sorry, yeah, all good news. I imagine we'll be seeing a lot of this the next few months. At least it gives us something to talk about besides mobile phones and Led Zeppelin.

You should get your sources on this.

I am surprised to hear Bono's comments on his vocals. He talks about the "bloke who sings like a chick". I hope there isn't too much falsetto singing on the album, I'm absolutely no fan of that. I remember Bono saying he doesn't like the singing on U2's first records because he "sounded like a girl". Now he suddenly wants to sing like a chick :lol:

Whatever, can't wait to hear the first songs and more news and titles and stuff :up:

FALSETTO singing (back to the "Lemon" vibe), KRAFTWERK/THE CLASH, SOUL/R&B...This is very interesting, sounds promising !

But The Edge's comment that they're still "figuring out on how to work with DM is frighting and not too encouraging. Seems like they hired a bunch of engineer to "patch" and "fix" everything. The band must be struggling big time. Good sign or bad sign ?

:hmm:

cheers to that!

The 'soul' term was thrown around during the ATYCLB hype. The other artist reference I haven't read or heard of them throw around w/ U2 in a while.

If you would put those 2 terms together wouldn't you get.....a 'War' type album?

cheers to that!

"A Man And A Woman" comes to mind for the R&B/MOTOWN vibe
"Daddy's Gonna Pay For Your Crashed Car" for Kraftwerk
"Lemon" for the Falsetto/Pop beat
"Electric Co" for the agressive Punk energy

Now imagine a mix of all these...quite promising !

Man. I was hoping they'd sound like Coldplay on the new album.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using U2 Interference mobile app

FALSETTO singing (back to the "Lemon" vibe), KRAFTWERK/THE CLASH, SOUL/R&B...This is very interesting, sounds promising !

But The Edge's comment that they're still "figuring out on how to work with DM is frighting and not too encouraging. Seems like they hired a bunch of engineer to "patch" and "fix" everything. The band must be struggling big time. Good sign or bad sign ?

:hmm:

Wouldn't be too worried by it. When it hasn't worked in the past they have always got rid of the producer e.g Thomas and Rubin

Maybe Bono will duet with his younger self! Strip the vocals from a Boy song(s) and that'd be the young innocence, put it to new music and have 53 yr old bono singing the wisdom lines. That'd be kind of cool.

How would Axver catalog that?

5. New Song / stories for boys (snippet) / out of control (snippet) / Inside - Out (snippet) / singin in the rain (snippet) / Twilight (b-side to Another Day version) (snippet)

I'm glad to hear the news. And it's nice to at least have another source confirming the release date and Super Bowl rumours.

But crikey, PLEASE BRING BACK THE SILENCE EMBARGO! I was really happy with how quiet they were being about this record. For once...once...I'd love for them to just drop a record without all the "Getting back to our roots/Punk rock/shaking it up/new direction", etc., etc., etc. hype that comes with EVERY record. I know this is U2, so perhaps that's expecting too much. But for crying out loud, just put your music out there and let people decide for themselves what it sounds like. If the record sounds like punk or trance or techno it should be apparent from listening to it without telling us that months in advance.

You do realize that people would be complaining how the band isn't 'throwing us a bone' then, right? Bono's quotes get criticized all the time, but the lack of talk and song titles get almost as much crap too. For them, it's easily damned if you do, damned if you don't.

cheers to that!

I suspect that the "soul, old school R&B songs" will be the ones people accuse of being geared towards Top 40 or the band "not doing they music they want to make." :lol:

"Thematically, the album will center on the collision between hard-earned wisdom and youthful hunger"

The title "MAN" sounds like it would be an appropriate fit. :hmm:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom